||| alt.surfing@google groups
| AS FAQ
| AS Hub [DIA]
| AS Points
| Close Encounters FAQ
| AS 2.0 (Forum) |
FAQ (Frequently-Asked Questions) about
Close Encounters of the alt.surfing Kind
"Which posters to alt.surfing have you met, surfed, or tripped with, where and when?"
What is alt.surfing?
How do I find alt.surfing?
- It is a newsgroup where people talk
about surfing. Or, if you like, it's the place with "surfers from
around the world bickering, squabbling, scratching, spitting venom and
just generally enjoying other surfers company in an online forum.
Is this the alt.surfing FAQ?
- If you don't have a news feed, then try Deja news. Your questions might be better answered by reading the
What is an alt.surfer?
- No, but that document does exist elsewhere.
Do lurkers count as alt.surfers?
- An alt.surfer is a real person who has at any time made a post to alt.surfing.
How many points do I get for meeting, surfing with, or surf-tripping with an alt.surfer?
- No. Since lurkers by definition are
people who read, but do not post to, newsgroups, a lurker cannot be an
alt.surfer. A lurker can become an alt.surfer by simply posting.
Don't I get bonus points for different continents?
- You get 1 point for meeting an alt.surfer.
- If you surf with them, you get a bonus point for a total of 2 points.
- If you go on a surf trip with them,
defined as an at-least overnight trip taken together during which at
some point you both surf, you get another bonus point for a total of 3
- You can score only a maximum of 3 points
for every alt.surfer, i.e., the points do not accumulate with
subsequent meetings/surfings/trippings. Nor does
a surf trip add up to 6 (1+2+3) points.
So how do I participate?
- Post something to the alt.surfing
newsgroup so that you can be an alt.surfer. Then, post about when you
meet/surf with/trip with other alt.surfers, or mail me about your
alt.surfing activities. Try to make it interesting, as it's not just
about gathering points.
Forward your Close Encounters to the
Close Encounters Points Keeper
Hub used to be found at http://altsurfing.org/ but the domain name ownership lapsed. Blame lemmings!