rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Morning Paipo crew at the wall

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HIpaipo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:25 am    Post subject: Morning Paipo crew at the wall Reply with quote

Found this video on Magic Seaweed, not mine but I think im in it at 3:04 in the backround on my black HPD
http://magicseaweed.com/video/flvplayer.php?id=2505
mrmike

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

very cool
bgreen

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know who the guys being filmed are?

Bob
OG-AZN

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The vid is dated December '06; unusual to have waves like that in Town at that time of year. What was the swell source? I kept yelling "going braddah, jump!" while watching it. Interesting that those guys' boards looked similar to Osserman's designs too.
ted

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HiPaipo,

You riding HPD now?
HIpaipo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bgreen- I dont know who they are, but im sure if someone were to ask Larry Goddard, or any of the people in the group photo in Larry's interview, im sure they would know.

OG: I think theyre Harry's design, the crew I always see out there has Harry's style boards.

Ted: Yep, I've had mine for about a year and a half.
bgreen

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what Larry Goddard has to say:

"The two guys in the video are 'regulars' at Walls and Cunhas, Sandbars, etc. The guy on the left is Reggie Nash, and the guy on the right (first one to jump in the water) is Nate Hong. They are part of the group of paipo riders that hang out with Harry Akisada and others in the park area right behind the beach. Some guys prefer to jump off the end of the Kapahulu Groin, which saves them 40 yards of paddling out thru' the shorebreak next to the Wall.

The video says it was shot at 6 AM, but it would've been still dark then. "First Light' wouldn't have been until about 6:30 AM. The pink on the tops of the clouds shows that it was more likely shot around 7 AM, (3 minutes before the 7:03 AM sunrise). I remember that morning well, because Harry and I were the ONLY two guys out at Cunhas, getting waves that were up to 2 feet overhead! That was at the tail-end of an El Nino. Overhead 'Summer' surf in December? We thought we were hallucinating...Ha!"

The wide angle lens the guy was using makes the waves look WAY far out, and considerably smaller than in reality. Walls was about 3-4 ft, and Cunhas was 4-6 ft, with those bigger 7 ft sets coming before and after the tide change about mid-morning to late morning.

Too bad nobody gets videos of them surfing! That would be far more entertaining!"
Soulglider

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:58 am    Post subject: dsv Reply with quote

hey bruddah, it was 4-6' hawaiian brah...no, for reals!

look at the wave compared to the rider laying down on the wave. filming changes it that much? it looks like it's probably more like 2-3' californian. watch the buggahs as dey paddle out brah, its just a bump....looks fun though.
bgreen

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim,

As I understand it the 4-6' was at Cunhas, the footage on Magicseaweed was at Walls

Bob
Larry Goddard

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:22 pm    Post subject: Morning Paipo crew at The Wall: who da guys? Reply with quote

Hey guys!
That was a late-El Nino out-of-season New Zealand Swell (SSW), and it was still coming up in the morning when the video was shot of Reggie Nash and Nate Hong getting ready to jump in the water from the end of the Kapahulu Groin in Waikiki. The video was probably actually shot at about 7AM, near sunrise. It would've been still dark at 6AM. First Light would have started about 6:20 or 6:30, depending on how cloudy it was.

The tide was still kinda high at 7AM, and it wasn't big enough to break at Cunhas yet, so I waited til midmorning to go out to Cunhas, where I figured the Low Tide Sets might break. Low Tide on Sunday, 17 Dec 2006 was at 9:43AM, so I waited until just before 9 AM to paddle out.

The first of the more-frequent Low Tide Sets sets started breaking at Cunhas while I was paddling out. Harry Akisada was already out in the 5 ft lineup. That's the smallest waves that can break out there. (It's 8 feet deep in the head-high lineup, so the true Total Height, including the Trough, would be at least 6 ft. "Local Scale" is half of that, or 3 "feet".)

But shortly after I got out there, the sets started getting bigger, breaking 6 ft (a foot overhead), then 7 foot sets came in. We were the only two guys in the lineup...had it all to ourselves! Ha!

Larry Goddard
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: