rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1974 Chuck Dent article

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bgreen

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:10 pm    Post subject: 1974 Chuck Dent article Reply with quote

For the paipo project I was wanting to get a copy of a 1974 article: "Buried Alive on Main Street" contained in the SURFING COMEDY ANNUAL '74.

The cover has a Monkey Surfing - http://www.surfwarez.com/CollectorsList.aspx?id=104

I was after a scanned copy if possible.

regards

Bob
Uncle Grumpy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck Dent was a classic.
HB lost most of it's soul when Dent died.
I have it but my PC system is down and I'm working off a notebook.
I'll send it as soon as the other system is back up if nobody else has it.
bgreen

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncle G,,

Many thanks -no rush. Rod has been interested in the Newport paipo scene and we never really had a good picture of it. I'd asked about some of the names in the article by Skip Newell but drew blanks, same went for the brands.

I'm hoping to do an interview with Bill Baldwin who worked for a few companies from 1968-1972. Since having this contact I have done some more searching and found a few leads, with input from John Milliken, Ron Romanosky, Kevin Barr at various times (sorry if I forgot anyone). An outline follows - any extra detail is welcomed:

c 1964 Mouse. Manufacturer unknown. Marketed by Samuel Larner.

1966 Skip Newell produced the Newport Paipo - series of paipo & kneeboards. One model was the Rick Newcomb model, while Con Colburn has been described as a "builder". Ron Romanosky shaped for Con and some Con boards were re-stickered as Newport Paipo. Con died n the 90s though may have taken over Newport paipo at some stage. Castle Skip Newell III president of Penofin may be the same Skip Newell.

c 1970 Bud Hulst was the 'manufacturer' of the "El Paipo". Hulst is said to have later run a surf camp on Todos Santos and given dance exhibitions at Hotel Calafia in Rosarito as late as 2009. Bill Baldwin who would go on to be vice president of Hobie, managed the El Paipo shop (1970-1972). Dale Velzy , Tom More and Frank Petrillo are reported to have shaped boards under the El Paipo label.

1968 -1970 House of Paipo. Owned by Jerry & Roger ???. Shapers included Bill Baldwin, Joe Higgs & Steve McGregor.

Huntington Paipo - Distributor private label?????

Dynamic Pipo - Distributor private label????????

Hawaiian Surf Products - sold in magazines via ads.????????

Bob
Uncle Grumpy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RE: Newport Paipo history
If you haven't already; you may want to get in touch with long time shaper Dean Cleary http://www.deanclearysurfboards.com/
and TK Brimer at the Frog House http://www.froghouse.com/home.php
They may have further insight.
bgreen

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncle G,

I contacted the froghouse - no reply as yet. Will try Dean though.

regards

Bob
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: