rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Photo's at Paipopalooza
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Birdie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 1:53 pm    Post subject: Photo's at Paipopalooza Reply with quote

Ok, I can chime in with the brand new Nikon D70 SLR digital

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/nikond70/default.asp

But I don't have video or a good long Nikon telephoto - so, can take shots of boards - landbased stuff with the digital for now.

What other gear has everyone else got?

I do have 2 Nikonos UW cameras and just bought a 80mm lens for them on Ebay - altho, it's been a week and it still hasn't arrived (start the shrieking violins), $140.00 later with shipping etc costs...was $125 and looks in excellent shape, like new...

So, whenever *that* arrives, I can pack off one or both of the Nikonos to be checked and serviced, and will have at least one of those good to go into the surf. There is a place in Texas that services them.

The bad news is that my 22R in the Toyota truck is starting to lose a valve...down to about 50% compression on the #3 of 4 cylinders...so, I put these Jacobs electronics wires that give more power to the plugs, and that has brought it up to about 75% - the other 3 are at 100% - but it is sipping more gas that it should...and...dang, if that #3 goes all the way, it will be like trying to drive a lawn mower on the freeway...(bring back those shrieking violins)...it only burns oil when stressed going up long steep hills in bad traffic...202,000 miles. Not worth a valve job. Rings, pistons, etc all have wear...

Anyway, at the present, it's OK, but will need to get a nice low mileage Japanese engine put in there before travelling to Paipoalooza at SA
Nels
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There used to be a place in Monterey, CA I think that specialized in old/newer Nikonos cameras. They had real reasonable rates for servicing and inspecting gear. I don't seem to have the url bookmarked any more - perhaps in the previous computer. Didn't see it in a quick search and I'm out of time. Might be worth investigating.
doc
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the new digital nikon got a nice review in the ny times on, I think, thursday.

the cool thing about digital is, you can shoot high definition and max frame size and then crop and resize to effectively zoom it. there are also some d-af format autofocus third party lenses, though not cheap.....for video, shoot plain old video and have it digitised or spring for a cheap 8mm digital vid camera. far more than adequate for computer graphics files....

good price on the 80mm nikonos lens, i paid more than that for mine and thought it was a good deal. speaking of which.....

http://jfmill.home.comcast.net/pics/phototoys.html

what do they get for engine rebuilds out there? valve job, new rings and pistons, new bearings, etc? for that matter, a toyota is overhead cam, no? a valve job oughtta be pretty inexpensive. or, there's http://www.perfectengine.com/index.html

hope that's of use....
Birdie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Doc!

The 80mm arrived - it was down at the PO. I never got the notice. Wow! Brand new looking 80mm. Looks like it never was used. Thanks for the advice on them awhile back, I saw this one with a "Buy it Now" $125.00 option right after it was posted on Ebay and, yep, jumped on it! Has rear and front caps, too.

The truck....that place looks good...I like the idea of having my own engine redone, as it has a new water pump, vaccume advance, and other things. The radiator, hoses, wires, shocks, brakes, tires, bucket seats are all in excellent condition....exhaust was replaced 5 years ago. Yakima racks.

There's a bad thread for a manifold bolt, and I think another broken bolt where the bottom pan of the air cleaner attaches...I have to discuss this with a rebuilder first, as here's the deal...most of these older engines all have those bolt - thread issues. and I'd rather know where mine are than not.

Meanwhile, it is running great with the Jacobs wires and new plugs, air cleaner, etc...Just time to start saving and preparing....

Got in the water yesterday...finally...it was glassy - water was clear, almost 60, and we had sooo much fun even on the 3 footers...the guys were laughing their heads off trying to surf the 1 footers...if a 4 footer came along, we all charged like mad to get outside to catch it....everybody just pounced...and laughed...and talked to each other when we were on the waves...

I feel so much better.
doc
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

argh... I paid, I think, about the same for a somewhat battered 80mm ( new keyboard, yaaaaay, I can do parentheses and '8's again) with no caps on a buy-it-now, especially when I was seeing 'em going for over $200 when the auctions went the distance...you definitely scored. Now you can take water shots without worrying about eating somebody's board, which is a Very Good Thing.

The bolts, etc - those get drilled out and redone all the time. Exhaust studs and such, basicly a threaded rod stuck into a tapped hole in the appropriate piece of engine metal casting. Any good mechanic finds himself doing a couple of those a week, 'cos things just get rusted together and break no matter how good you are. They don't enjoy it, of course........ the 'easy out' tools they use are only relatively easy.

As you've got other wheels you can use anyhow, you can leave it off and have a valve job, new pistons, rings, a cylinder honing, mebbe new bearings done...and you have for all intents a new engine. Definitely the way to go. Good for another 200,000.

Getting a different engine, pulling the old one, putting in the used one - nah, by the time that's all done the cost is up there with having yours rebuilt and you'll know what you have ( that effectively new engine) as opposed to having a whole new surprise package that might be worse than the one you took out. Go for it......
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Party Wave Surprised
Birdie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My homebreak is famous for party waves...laid back...fun.

Ain't I lucky.

Birdie
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Canon 2.0 Megapixel with a $30 tripod from Target. For website stuff it's fine. In the water I sometimes use a disposable.
Nels
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Get too fancy and Nel's won't post your pictures.

No, I'll post fancy pictures. When those contribution guidelines were written I was interested in something I didn't have a concise phrase for. The One Ambrose later provided it: Lowering the bar. He was talking about riding a mat, but the concept the phrase expresses is applicable.

Why should individual contributions to surfing culture be limited to those with major financial assets? The investment one must make to equip with latest digital cameras and lenses capable of matching top level pro film surf photographers is astounding, not to mention all the computers and software. Literally in the tens of thousands of dollars. There is no "margin of error" - there is hardly a "margin of sucess". But the feeling is out there with the disposeable cameras, the laughter in the cheap seats, where people do it for love and never the money...
doc
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Y'know, Nels has the right of it. Give or take the pros, who are after all getting paid for it, and a very few others.... those who are really living it don't have fancy 10 megapixel cameras, nor lenses that'll pick up the moons of Jupiter.

Nope, they have throwaway Fujis, if they have cameras at all. 'Cos they're surfing, out on the edge of nowhere. The ones with the multi-thousand dollar cameras have straight jobs, so they can pay for that crappe'.

It's all about the cheap seats, down where you can smell the greasepaint and hear the actors breathe. And maybe you're part of the cast, not part of the audience......

He wrote, via a cybenetic hookup from way off in the balcony, with an ever worsening view of what's on stage.
Phantom
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:16 am    Post subject: Lowering The Bar Reply with quote

I use something called the Wrist Cam, which velcros my disposible to my wrist.They were out of Huntington Beach, bout fifteen years ago. As a rule, I will not spend more than ten dollars on the camera. Water shots of empty, barreling point breaks often wind up on buddies frigs.Gets me a free beer, or three.Sent one to Solo the other day.
Nels
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that the same Wrist Cam camera holder that is popping up for sale these days? If so, it looks like a useless piece of crap for standup surfers, who can quite frequently be useless pieces of crap themselves (oh oh, wait...that's ME too!)...

and it looks like prone riders ought to be able to have a ton of fun with it! Do they stay on halfway well when going through shorebreak?
Birdie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new SeaLife SharkDiver underwater camera is avail in 2 models -

The SL300 and SL301

Rugged 35mm point and shoot camera's in a O-ring housing

Tested to 80 feet - has a flash.

39 and 19 dollars!

I'll see if I can find a Url.

http://www.joediveramerica.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=cam
Phantom
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 6:03 pm    Post subject: Useless Piece Of Crap? Reply with quote

Nels, mine has served me well for years and years. Low profile when paddling, not a chance of it coming off in the shore break. May be something quite differant than what is on the market now.Footboarders would have an easier time of it, as it requires one hand to hit the shutter, while aiming your other wrist at the action. Means you have to let go of the rails, and use elbow pressure to navigate in the pit. Can get dicey! There was a small article in The Surfers Journel a few years back, showing a homemade wood mount with string actuated shutter ,mounted on the nose of a board. The guy had to crouch to get in the frame, or be satisfied with shots of his toes surfing. I hope to build a similiar mount this summer.
Nels
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wrist Cam: I've spent what free time I can afford poking around the net looking for a photo of the thing I saw earlier this year, or maybe late last year, to no avail. These two years have really run together for me. I even went into the e-mail archives for a couple of accounts at vagabondsurf.com and couldn't come up with it, although I'm sure Roger Wayland or somebody (Dale?) sent me a shot of the thing. From memory it was some kind of neoprene thing which fastened to the wrist, holding a single-use camera upright, and like Phantom said you aimed the forearm and pushed the shutter with the other hand.

I guess it would be easier to use while standing, but it looked like a bugger to paddle with. I'll keep looking for a photo or ad for one though. Cheap and easy...
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: