rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cubit board for the hollow dumpy summer shorebreaks!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kid

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:45 am    Post subject: Cubit board for the hollow dumpy summer shorebreaks! Reply with quote

I made one of these last spring, and I was amazed at how well it worked. This one is 26 inches long by 16 wide. It has a slight roll through the bottom and hard rails all round. It's like a mini-paipo, or a big handplane. I've heard them referred to as cubit (forearm) boards. They are great for bodysurfing in steep hollow waves. You can take off much deeper, and still have a lot more speed than with a normal handplane. You can also bottom turn and cutback like a paipo board!

www.deluxepaipo.com
mrmike

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have made 3 cubit boards. they do well in dumping shore break. they also travel well Cool

kid

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They sure do! I carry one in the seat pocket in my car for emergencies!

www.deluxepaipo.com
geoffreylevens

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It's not a beer-belly, it's a displacement hull

This is particularly true w/ cubit board or hand board!
littlefoot

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My goodness. A great looking board!
So it's halfway between a handplane and a paipo; I'd never thought of that possibility. Is it good for big waves?
Again the temptation to start a new project... sh#t!
kid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Littlefoot! They work great in big waves, but they really shine in fast hollow waves. The planing speed is more like a paipo than a handplane!

www.deluxepaipo.com
geoffreylevens

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kid, love to see photos of you riding it! And no handle/hand grip? Two hands on or just one at a time or... Hold it out front like hand plane or get some body/meat on board?
mrmike

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use two hands like a kick board then get it under my chest sometimes Cool
geoffreylevens

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally bitchen' concept, the suitcase board. That and a mat and flippers and you could ride pretty much surf you come across and always have good tool for the job
mrmike

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my mats also. Very Happy I alway keep one it the car also. they are lots of fun in the right surf conditions Very Happy
kid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use mine like and elbow board. One hand on the nose, forearm resting on the board, and the other (outside) hand on the rail, controlling the trim and turning. I hold out quite far in front of me, and use my whole torso (and displacement hull) and legs to shape myself to the wave, more like bodysurfing than like paipo riding!

I love using these boards in big clean, close-out waves. I find I can take-off side-slipping into the barrel, and travel an amazing distance, deep in the barrel before it breaks. Then, its just a matter of punching out through the back to avoid getting hammered! SOOOOOOO MUCH FUN!

www.deluxepaipo.com
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made several different Royal Egyptian Cubits based on the Pharaoh's forearm...about 20 5/8 inches.

I had plans to make some two footers, something I've named the Durban Half Pint. But so far I only shaped one...as a kickboard for Mike's wife. Mike, did you ever varnish that thing?

The Durban Half Pint was something that came into my head when I read Bartlett's handbook about the men in Durban riding boards that were half the length of normal bellyboards.
mrmike

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

larry pams loves the board and used it in the pool the laides in the pool like it also I put 6 coats of varnish on it and burned her name in it Very Happy

Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There we go...the boxy rail pool version of my interpretation of the Durban Half Pint. The camera lens makes the tail look wider than the nose, but it's really wider near the nose.

In Bartlett's pamphlet, he was vague about the half-sized boards ridden by the men of Durban. I imagined the possibility of a traditional board that was either cut or broken in half. So I just traced around the nose half of an old Penzance board to template Pam's board. Of course someone might have ridden the rockerless back half of a cut bellyboard. Plus there were kid's boards...right? I've seen photos of a couple of Parkins boards that looked about half size.
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's one I made a few years back...about 23" long. Five pieces of wood glued together in such a way that the 1/4" thick stringers are allowed to stick through the bottom of the board for little keels.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: