rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Micro-simmons-spoon-twin-keel-paipo/kneeboard thingy!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kid

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still haven't ridden it yet Bob, hopefully tomorrow. I have deliberately left the fins big and thick so that I can feel the extremes of how they work. Small differences are difficult to quantify, but if I start out with fins so big and thick, I can make incremental adjustments until they're just right!

www.deluxepaipo.com
bgreen

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BJ,

Sounds like a reasonable approach to me.

regards

Bob
kid

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the spoon wet this morning in nice clean 3 foot waves. The tail , rail and fin combination works exactly as I had hoped. It holds a beautiful line, tight and high in the pocket. It has just enough flex to help on the take off, and it turns quite well. The fins were definitely too big, but it was helpful to feel how they affected the ride. Compared to the finless paipo's the drag was very noticeable. The take-off acceleration was good, but I got caught out trying to make sections which I could motor through on the Ho'okano paipo. This afternoon I cut the fins down to my #2 template, and added a bit of foil on the insides. I don't want to lose the great bite and hold of the keels, but I'm seriously addicted to the speed of the flat bottom boards! I think this finned design will be my go-to for hollower conditions. The fun potential of this thing is huge!

www.deluxepaipo.com
surffoils

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a great board, thanks for the ride report.
flojo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Kid,
very interesting-I wonder how a single fin would be? maybe less drag and still have some bite?

thanks for sharing your ideas and enthusiasm

flojo
kid

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Flojo, I'm planning on a single fin version, but this one is just plywood, so I'm guessing it wouldn't have the strength to hold up a bigger fin!

www.deluxepaipo.com
geoffreylevens

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kid wrote:
Hey Flojo, I'm planning on a single fin version, but this one is just plywood, so I'm guessing it wouldn't have the strength to hold up a bigger fin!

Maybe, glassed w/ one layer of 4 oz then glass on fin?
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger Wayland put a fin box in a 3/8" thick board by building up the wood on the deck side:

http://vagabondsurf.com/WaylandBolsa54.html
kid

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting..... I don't work with fiberglass at all, but I can see how building the board up around a box might work!

www.deluxepaipo.com
bgreen

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BJ,

It's waiting the finishing touches from Rod, but there is an interview with Micheal Potter. He rode single fin ply boards and there are photos included. There is also now a photo on the Bryan Hayden interview page of a single fin. Of the guys who rode the short ply boards, most favoured the twin fins.

regards

Bob
kid

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bob,

I'm already in the process of building a replica of Bryan Hayden's twin fin with the handle. I'll be sure to check out the Michael Potter interview too. I spend hours looking at the boards and reading the stories of the paipo/bellyboarders in the interview archives. I feel fortunate to have access to such a wealth of knowledge and experience!

Keep up the good work!
Cheers,
BJ.

www.deluxepaipo.com
bgreen

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BJ,

More to come. Good to see that you are finding them useful.

regards

bob
kid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:22 am    Post subject: #2 ride report! Reply with quote

I finally got to bust out the famous wooden-spoon/simmons/twin-keel paipo board in some decent sized clean waves yesterday! I had been concerned that the fins were still a bit too big, but it turns out that they're just right! I surfed a short, fast and hollow lefthander, and I found that the hull bottom just mowed down any chop on the water surface. It didn't feel like it was pushing water, or creating any drag, but the displacement principle was clear to see and feel. The wake left behind this board is flat and smooth. The fins worked so well that I started stalling to see how high I could climb into the vertical part of the face before I'd break out of trim. Well, I just couldn't get this thing to break loose! I think the only limit to how deep and high this board will ride is going to be the courage of the guy riding it!. It was very fast when I pulled myself up into my favourite "Superman" or forward trim position, but I had only to slide back a few inches and it turned on a dime. The fins combined with the rolled hull-bottom made for effortless rail to rail turns, and it held in brilliantly on cut-backs. Hopefully I can coax my wife down this weekend so we can shoot some video footage!

www.deluxepaipo.com
surffoils

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great stuff Kid, how much hold to you attribute to the fins and/or the flat hull ?
Cheers, Brett.
kid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there Brett,

I think its the combination of the rolled nose/hull in the front end, combined with the fins and concave in the back-end. The rails in the back end also curl up, giving the board a full length hull bottom. Here's a couple of pics to show what I'm describing. It feels like you're lying below the surface of the water, but still travelling smoothly and quickly through it. I heard a local shaper describing the hull as "smoothing out the water from the nose, so that the rest of the board is riding on glass".

www.deluxepaipo.com
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: