rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

two plywood alaias and a hawaian paipo
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building
View previous topic :: View next topic  
littlefoot

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:26 am    Post subject: two plywood alaias and a hawaian paipo Reply with quote

I've just finished a 4ft alaia I was working on last week. I used some 9mm marine grade birch plywood I had lying around. The dimensions are 4'1"x16 1/2". I'm taking it out this evening for the first time but I'm sure it'll work fine. The 5mm deep concave will turn out to be merely ornamental I suppose.
The rails are VERY sharp, even after blunting them with some sand paper for safety's sake.
I'll try and ride it kneelo-style. See if it doesn't sink under my 150lbs. The pyrography was done by my girlfriend, who's a dab hand at that kind of stuff, not like me...

As for the paipo, its 9mm plywood 44"x25". I tried it out the other day in some fairly decent waves and it held in quite well even though I'm not used to riding prone and finless.

The one on the left is a 5'3" alaia which I hope to be able to ride using flippers for kneeling and possibly standing on.
It's 15mm thick by 16 1/2" birch plywood. I've started varnishing it this morning so maybe next week it'll get its first session. The concave is just over 3/8" deep.
By the way, it looks a little unsymetrical because one rail is a layer higher than the other. Oh well, it actually is a bit unsymetrical.

All sealed with 3-4 coats of marine varnish, by the way.

Thanks to everyone for the tips on parabolic rails and other interesting aspects.

I'll add a few more comments when I try out the 5'3". Cheers and pray4waves!

[/img]

5'3" Alaia with a 3/8" concave running up about 10" from the tail.

Faneca Alaia: Ornamental concave on 9mm ply.

I'll call this one "Faneca" after a little stingfish I trod on the other day.
geoffreylevens

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice looking boards! The lady certainly has a deft hand w/ the burner...t
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We may all need to visit Spain and borrow your girl for some design work -- nice job!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
hewey

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice looking boards Cool
bgreen

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see that are trying a bit of erverything.

What type of waves have been testing your boards in?

Bob
kid

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work! I love the Paipo! I'm totally tripping on how well the big wide paipo's ride! Be sure to adopt the superman style on that one! It's essential to the trim/glide of these short wide paipo's! If you're unsure check the 60's paipo video on vimeo

www.deluxepaipo.com
littlefoot

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bgreen wrote:
Good to see that are trying a bit of erverything.

What type of waves have been testing your boards in?

Bob

Yesterday I tried it in longboard type waves at first and missed each and every one of them... Then I finally saw the light and tried some smallish (5ft as seen from the shore) but faily vertical waves on another spot with the small alaia and it seemed to work ok though I think it didn't hold in as well as the paipo. Pitty, because I quite like the alaia shape. I felt as if I had almost 2/3 of the board sticking out of the wave with only the back corner firmly digging in. I also realised how important flex is cause it wasn't really a big day so flex helped a lot.

And the Superman glide Very Happy Ah that really gets some funny looks, which I don't mind at all ha ha but I did try it last week and seems to get you going faster. Also I think the greater surface of the paipo's tail corners is much better to avoid spinning out but that's just my opinion cause I'm quite new to this.

Anyway I still have to try them on the adequate waves on a decent size day.

The 5'3" is getting its second coat of varnish today.

By the way, how do you go about using kick fins and/or paddling on alaias this size? Do you put your whole body on the board centred on the sweet spot and kick & paddle at the same time? Tom Wegener rides a 6 footer prone using fins. Does he paddle too? How tall is the bloke?
Uncle Grumpy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Wegener's are small spry guys.
Tom is about 5' 8" Jon is probably 5' 6".
I'm 6'2" and swim my alaia's hanging off the tail with fins and scootch forward to the sweet spot when I catch the wave.
Too little float to paddle.
littlefoot

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get it. So it's the same as kicking on a 4 footer or on a paipo. Ok
bgreen

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is going to be a wave type x board x surfer interaction. I find a wooden alaia type board (mine aren't alaia as such - I have a TW but ride one based on a John Galera board and another based on a Larry Goddard template) are great for thinner lipped or longer style point waves. Waves where I want a lot of straight planing speed, especially initially.

The HPD shape is great where there is a peak, some vertical wall or a wave that has some push.

Your comment "I felt as if I had almost 2/3 of the board sticking out of the wave with only the back corner firmly digging in" reflects an observation abut board length - how much board do you need? This is one reason the HPD is so short and not longer.

I once rode one of Tom Wegener's longer boards prone in a semi-closeout beachbreak - I found it dangerous. I could paddle the board but riding the board from that position was hopeless. I suspect you'll find the shorter boards more functional.

Then again there is your weight/height. If you are taller a longer board may be more ok, if short, then it may be way too much.

Bob
geoffreylevens

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Then again there is your weight/height. If you are taller a longer board may be more ok, if short, then it may be way too much.

That's why I like referencing board measurements to body size, though it is only done at times and pretty much only for length ie tip of your nose height from the ground for length or belly button from ground etc. I think it too bad that surf equipment measurement did not develop at least length and width around those sorts of organic measures. A too long board for one person may be too short for another etc
littlefoot

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1/3 sticking out: sometimes.
Yesterday I thought that maybe I was riding it wrong, more like a paipo instead of engaging the whole rail. ??
The alaia I'm trying out isn't that long (just 4'1", up to my nipples) and I think a bit narrower would be too narrow for me. It's only 16 1/2".

For me, the whole idea behind this alaia project is to eventually manage to ride it kneelo (and shuffle to my feet someday), which on a paipo would be impossible cause it's too short, I think. Maybe dropknee.

While riding the 4footer in those vertical waves, I felt that it was a bit dangerous too, though it only weighs a ridiculous 6lbs. In some places the water was only knee-deep and it was also a closeout break with a very short wave. I'll try it next time in Doniņos. It's better suited for the alaia perhaps.
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Littlefoot, I would call the 49" board a paipo, alaia paipo or even a kioe. At a minimum it would be characterized as a kipapa-style alaia (i.e., bodyboard or paipo), instended to be ridden prone except for the small menehunes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
littlefoot

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just had to look up kioe and kipapa... Yes the small one would not be suitable for standing on. I just call it alaia because of the shape. Didn't give it much thought, though.
Uncle Grumpy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
For me, the whole idea behind this alaia project is to eventually manage to ride it kneelo (and shuffle to my feet someday

That will require more volume for sure........
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: