rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

non slip deck - I hate wax
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RNT808

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn’t amazing how smells, especially the smell of surfboard wax, can make such a lasting impression on our minds.

On the way to the airport for my first trip to Indonesia (many, many years ago) I realized that I forgot to stock up on wax for the trip. In a panic, I stopped at a little “Mom and Pop” that was on the way and luckily they had about a dozen bars of Sex Wax on the counter, I grabbed them all. It turned out that they were all the same “flavor”, grape. For the next eight weeks my whole world was infused with the smell of grape sex wax. Boards, board bag, backpack, clothes, everything!

That trip was a life changing experience for sure and even now (many, many years later) all I have to do is catch the slightest whiff of grape sex wax and it all comes flooding back.
bgreen

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honey surf wax is the Australian equivalent. Honey wax would get you in the mood, just the smell of it. I don't use wax much these days but what I've bought seemed pretty bland in comparison. The car does smell a bit of tung oil now. I'm sure my kids in years to come will remember that smell.

Yeah Geoffrey, was would seem the lowest key option.

RNT808 - how many paipo on Maui these days?

Bob
Nels
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's something I came across this afternoon...

Quote:
The big conundrum with owning a gorgeous wood SUP is what to do about deck traction…why have a great looking wood board if you are gonna cover it with a pad???…no worries, Starboard solved this dilemma by developing the clear, NON-ABRASIVE traction material applied to the Terje Haakonsen (TAC) wood boards known as StarTouch…amazing stuff that gets even grippier when wet…problem solved…if you want a bit of comfort, we apply a super-lightweight, non-H20 absorbing, microdot pad in the standing area that blends in with the board’s aesthetics…
RNT808

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,

Not that many I’m afraid, but there are a few. I think I can count on one hand the number of times I’ve been out in the water with another paipo rider in the lineup. There was one older gentleman on the West side, that made beautiful paipos, and was a regular at Honolua Bay. He would get some unbelievable rides all the way from the outside peak to Keiki Bowls on the inside. I don’t get out to the Bay that much now so I don’t know if he’s still riding there or is even still alive for that matter.

I’m often approached by people that see my boards and are curious. A lot of them have stories about their “Uncle from Lahaina” or their Dad or some other character from their past that used to paipo back in the day. But nowadays you just don’t see them around. But that might be changing. There seems to be a growing interest in Alaia and other old timey wave riding forms, so one can only hope. I have a nephew who is a total water rat; he grew up with sponges and all kinds of stand-ups but when I let him use my HPD, he was hooked. So much so, that I bought him one for his birthday so he wouldn’t keep bugging me to borrow mine. He’s also been hanging around while I’m working on new projects and even talking about making something for himself. Hopefully the torch has been passed.
bgreen

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RNT808,

Rather than hijack this thread I'll send you a pm.

Bob
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: