rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

something new?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrmike

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:14 pm    Post subject: something new? Reply with quote

here is my split tail paipo I don't know if anybody has tried one before. MY wife said I have to much time on my hands and get to painting the house. Shocked

rickm

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: something new? Reply with quote

mrmike wrote:
here is my split tail paipo I don't know if anybody has tried one before. MY wife said I have to much time on my hands and get to painting the house. Shocked

You could ride nekkid and use the naughty bits as a rudder!

Have you ridden it yet? Does it get a little flexy in the back?
geoffreylevens

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: something new? Reply with quote

rickm wrote:
ou could ride nekkid and use the naughty bits as a rudder!

Does it get a little flexy in the back?

Excuse me? Better start painting the house before the vice squad gets after you!

Seriously though, I would think the split should add some twist-flex in the tail of the board which could be a very good thing.
mrmike

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few more coats of varnish and it will be ready to go Cool
bgreen

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

Let me think this over, make a paipo or paint the house? Now there's a tough choice.

Beautiful piece of wood.

Bob
supergrom

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks pretty interesting, Mike!
Now go varnish that house. Write it off as further practice for paipo finishing?
flojo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey MrMike!
how thick is that splitail board?

flojo
mrmike

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the board is 40" long and 18" wide and 1/4" thick real flexy Cool
handfinished

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a great board - I know that a lot of 'hardcore' bodyboarders are put off paipos due to a lack of flex, yet they are fed up with the toxic environmentally damaging sponges they ride. Something along these lines is a very interesting idea, being both a wooden paipo and the size of a conventional bodyboard. Be great to know how it rides and how durable it turns out to be.
Thanks for sharing it! Very Happy
bgreen

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Handfinished,

The problem is that to get a flexy board you need to go thinner & thin paipo will be far less buoyant than a bodyboard.

It could be argued that a bodyboard has an ideal combination of flex & buoyancy that paipo don't have. Some of the perceived disadvantages of paipo can also be advantages. Riding paipo requires a certain mindset to appreciate these.

Bob
kid

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bite your tongue Bob! We'll have none of that sponger talk here!

Seriously though, since I've become paipo and alaia obsessed, I find bodyboards feel too thick and very slow. A thin wooden paipo feels closer and more engaged with the surface of the water, and the speed doesn't even compare!

Buoyancy only helps with paddling, but sux for take offs and duckdiving. A thin paipo might take a bit more effort to paddle out, but the low flotation allows for later take-offs, and for sitting deeper and ducking under waves.

I think you summed it up perfectly when you talked about the different mindset required. Choosing paipo means humbling yourself at first. But when the rewards come, paipo will be the first choice!

Here's a couple of new HPD-ish boards I'm working on!

www.deluxepaipo.com
bgreen

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kid,

Are you going to build the nose up on these or go for a flat profile?

If you want to see a pioneer of Victorian paipo boards check the podcast of the New Inventors from tonight, June 30. Jamie Farfor had a couple of his boards on display. Look between segments 2 & 3.

I'll be down your way appx. July 25-27. Will be pretty busy between trying to catch some waves, catching up with some history leads/taking pics, family & mates I want to catch up with.

Bob
mrmike

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thin is in flat is also good I just biuld up the nose and that it. then let it rip Cool
kid

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bob, I'll check it out! These boards are much thinner, only 9mm. So those pieces are going to be glued on to the nose and rails with one more piece running from the nose about halfway down. This will create an 18mm high "spoon tapering to a 9mm rail at the tail. By doing this I'm hoping to have some controlled flex out through the back of the boards.

If you have time drop me a line for sure! It'd be great to meet up for a surf or even just a chat!

www.deluxepaipo.com
mrmike

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

took the split tail paipo out to day. real real flexi. the waves were only 2 to 3 foot but nice shape and glassey It worked well. you had to be careful if you press your right leg down hard on the wing it would turn hard right fast so if you were going down the face you needed to keep your legs relaxed then to turn just push your leg down the way you want to turn. I think the next one I try will be 1/2 " ply not so much flex and might last longer. on a big day 6' to 8' I feel the 1/4" board might brake a wing off Cool
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: