rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Old Riders in NZ

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Uncle Grumpy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:48 am    Post subject: Old Riders in NZ Reply with quote

Caption
Solid wood surfboards
Before the Second World War, some people attempted to surf using rudimentary boards made of solid wood. These men were photographed at Tahunanui, Nelson.\

Caption
During his New Zealand tour, Duke Kahanamoku gave surfing demonstrations at Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch. This photograph shows him either body surfing or preparing to stand on a board in the surf at New Brighton beach, Christchurch.

Found these here:
http://www.teara.govt.nz/en/lifesaving-and-surfing/4
mrmike

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very cool uncle G Cool
bgreen

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncle G,

A great find. Anything else interesting there?

I asked Sandra Kimberley Hall who has written 2 books about the photo of Duke. Here is what she had to say:

"Yes, am familiar w/Duke in NZ. Wrote about him there for Surfer's Journal, and also in my Duke: A Great Hawaiian, book.

The surf was no good that day, it was freezing, and Duke used a surf lifesaver's board (they already used them for rescues). He had been trying to stand up, cut across the wave and do things to please the crowd, but I guess he got dumped, and was hanging on to the board to stop its escape. In Oz, he had stood on his head, ridden tandem etc. and the crowd no doubt expected similar "stunts" but alas, it was not to be."

I'd concur about the water being cold - this is South Island NZ.

Bob
hewey

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That first pic is great Cool
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: