rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

OIL SPILL
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

geoffreylevens wrote:
Not just Cheney or those at the top... It is not just the Republicans either, Obama is still gung-ho (or is that "oil-ho'") for off-shore more drilling. There is really only one party at this point and it really is a massive, corrupt corporatacracy. The entire deep structure of our economy and society currently supports and promotes this and our education and media deeply program "the masses" to keep it all rolling...

www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/05/25/interior-department-ig-re_n_588755.html

A new mindset and shift in philosophy took place during the Reagan Era. During the past administration there was a systematic dismantling of the regulatory system and weaning of the institutional knowledge in the regulatory agencies, e.g., EPA, and the mostly non-political civil servants were transitioned into a more politic environment with initiatives such as pay-for-performance. Many realized that the next administration (the current one) would be set-up with a huge challenge in the first 2 to 3 years to unravel the bureaucratic mess and to rebuild institutional knowledge and ethics.

For this reason I don't lose too much sleep as the Red State governors sweat it out and start asking for the Federal Government to step-in, to "take over," and to help the States. Hopefully this situation will crystallize the choices between a utopian "Tea Party" conservative (Republican) movement and the progressive movement.

I have not been anti-offshore drilling, but I have been a strong proponent of a sound regulatory system of rules, oversight and enforcement. If the nation can not do that then I will hardly sign-off on expanded nuclear power.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
geoffreylevens

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, do I ever wish we had even a remotely progressive govt! Think you are right though. Astrological predictions (seriously!) are for increasingly hostile polarization for next couple years and the 2012 election to be the real "break point" when we find out what our country is really made of down deep; either we will really start to head in a progressive, peace, justice, and sustainability direction or on down into full-on repressive corporate fascism.

I'm not at all convinced it will be as crisp and clear as that but the next few years should be interesting indeed!
geoffreylevens

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just pulled this off live-blog page in Guardian from London newspaper re: Obama's press conference. So far so good. Maybe the wake-up call is being heeded...

Quote:
11.55pm CDT: Obama's now laying into the "scandalously close relationship between the oil industry and those who were regulating them", and how laws were "tailored by the industry to serve its needs and not the public's."

Obama made official the announcement of action against deep-sea drilling:

• suspend two permits to drill off the coast of Alaska
• cancel oil lease sales off the coast of the Gulf of Mexico and Virginia
• suspend new permits for deep water wells for a further six months
• suspend action of current wells being drilled in the Gulf of Mexico (that is, new wells being drilled, not wells in operation)

Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like the mud and little rubber bits failed to plug the well. Maybe we could grind up all the SUPs in the country and send them down the pipe.

A little off topic, but....what sort fo paipo would you make for Obama? Mike and I knocked around the subject last year, but we never got around to making Paipo One for the Prez.
mrmike

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I would make the prez a 48" guitar pic board made out of red cedar Cool

rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like it! How many of ya could make it to D.C. for the presentation?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mrmike

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is the bag I would give him with the board. I call it my anti dick cheney bag Laughing

Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm leaning toward something with horizontal fins (ears) out on the rails.
geoffreylevens

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:02 pm    Post subject: back to the spill... Reply with quote

www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/g/a/2010/06/04/notes060410.DTL

I think a fine article!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: