rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Paper Trail...Popular Science June 1928

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:31 pm    Post subject: Paper Trail...Popular Science June 1928 Reply with quote

This is on google books, and I'm not sure how long the link will work. Need to try to get a paper copy of this one. A real classic...the sheet metal pimp sled and a crescent tail surfboard (too early for the term bellyboard) in both an adult and child size. Some rather sketchy advice on how to properly carry your crescent tail board out into the surf. Could lead to a broken nose.

http://books.google.com/books?id=VicDAAAAMBAJ&lpg=PA79&dq=Hi%20Sibley&lr&as_pt=MAGAZINES&pg=PA79#v=onepage&q=Hi%20Sibley&f=false

PS...I've read accounts before about old timers at Huntington Beach pier riding noisy sheet metal bellyboards. Perhaps they are riding one of these models.
bgreen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah,

A good find.

Bob
baidarka
Matt Master

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for tip, Poobah.

I like the inner-tube filled canvas boat. I had once considered using narrow bicycle tubes for the rails of a small surfcraft.

Regarding the noisy metal paipos...I read a book some years ago, about a renown wooden boat builder who swears to this day that the crude canoe he had skinned with galvanized roofing was faster than any commercially made vessels. Those corrugated panels can often be found for free and come preformed with channels. Any takers?
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

snip...It was during this time that the plywood bellyboard came into existence. We allowed swimmers to jump off the pier at the outside breaker line and a ladder was provided at the shoreline to climb back up on the pier. Most swimmers would catch a wave, ride to the beach, and run out for another wave sometimes 25 to 50 times per day. The light bel1y board with a handhold cut in one side for carrying up the ladder was the answer and was very popular. I must stress that surfboards were made of materials available at the time they were made. Some persons even made wood frame works and covered them with metal, soldering the seams to make them waterproof. They sounded like a can bouncing on the pavement when ridden on a wave and were not too successful. Many of the redwood boards were clad with copper on the nose due to damage when hitting a pi1ng....snip. Taken from this article:

http://surflibrary.org/BudHiggins.html

PS Note the reference to the handle being only on one side.
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baidarka....there is a stock handboard...mini paipo, that also doubles as a musical instrument....a big hit at beach parties:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washboard

But I guess you were thinking of running the channels the other way. Seriously though...there is highly flexible corrugated PVC panel.
baidarka
Matt Master

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah,

The hand/washboard might be just the ticket to more frequent visits to the coast. Certainly, if I promised to complete a load of wash while on my journey, my spouse would be much more supportive.

Yeah, I have considered PVC panels, but am unwilling to act until one presents itself for free. You are much more active than me, so let me know how they work out. Smile
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: