rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Pirated Penzance

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:04 pm    Post subject: The Pirated Penzance Reply with quote

I've been out of board building for about a year, and now I'm dropping back in with a poplar and pine psuedo Penzance paipo. The perimeter was pirated from an old Penzance board...a Crest model from the West Cornwall Woodwork. My Cali version of a Cornish board is made of poplar 1 x 12, rather than the marine plywood of the original.

Boil bending the nose got me very close to the 1 3/4" nose kick of the original. I got 1/8" more and I'm not done with the final sanding yet. I soaked the nose end of the board for three days in a rain barrel (nonchlorinated water.) Then boiled the nose in a large pot of regular tap water for about 30 minutes, and then clamped a curved (shaped) chunk of 2 x 6 redwood down on the top of the nose. The edge of the bottom of the nose rested on a curved chunk of 4 x 4 redwood.

It ended up a couple inches longer than the original...about 50.5 inches long.

Penzy has a long bottom concave...I did mention it was a Cali version.

The tailblock is poplar and pine. All Titebond 2 glue. The tailblock was glued on before the nose was bent to allow for easier and vigorous clamping. Flu bug puts the project on hold. Sanding and oiling still pending.
mrmike

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very very cool. oil it up and lets ride Cool
Soulglider

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:21 pm    Post subject: oo Reply with quote

Sir Lawrence of OBC,

Beautiful board my brother......
supergrom

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is outstanding work. Great job on the bend in particular. Shocked
bgreen

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah,

Masterly job with the nose lift - how does it ride?

regards

Bob
hewey

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great Cool
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Behind the scenes....here's a photo of another 1x12 poplar plank bent on my shaping/bending table. The work table was made out of two 4 foot pieces of 2x12 doug fir (screwed and glued together.) The feet are 4x4 blocks glued on the bottom. This allows room for the head of a clamp, or passing the clamp under the table. The 4x4 redwood block is only temporarily attached with brackets and screws. It's removed when I use the table for shaping and sanding. A bellyboard can also be clamped to the side of the work table for working on the rails of the board. The bending block was made from a scrap of 2x6 redwood. Since the photo was taken, I've drilled two shallow holes with a spade bit for for the C-clamp swivels to land in. This has prevented some previous problems with clamp slippage.

In the next photo you can see the whole table. I could have used a single 4x12, but I chose to do it with two 2x12 pieces with the crowns of their grain opposing eachother. Some edges were routed and sanded so there would be no sharp corners to dig into the bellboard being worked.

mrmike

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry guess what I an makeing out of my bucket of rain water???? Cool

Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats! I see you've gotten past the most difficult part...deciding which end is the nose. Hard for me at least.
mrmike

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is that for a scoop plus you can wash your undeys at the same time you simmer the board Laughing

mrmike

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here it is all ready for cornwall next year 12"x51" I planed mine down to 1/2" thick Cool

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: