rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Roger's Board

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:06 pm    Post subject: Roger's Board Reply with quote

Roger, your photobucket.com link worked fine for me - the below link is bracketed by the [img]picture.link[/img] commands.

http://i911.photobucket.com/albums/ac318/dadnjing/A1/hdp1.jpg

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
RNT808

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rod, I'm not sure what the problem is at my end but it seems to work OK after all. Go figure.

I wanted to post this picture in the “Ply Paipo's HPD style” thread started by Kid especially in regards to the posts that pertain to the different handling characteristics between short wide boards and longer narrower ones. This board is 48” long and is 24” at the mid-point. The nose is 11” and the tail is 14” with a very shallow rounded channel about 8” wide running down the bottom, it also has a slight rocker of about 3/8” tapering back about a foot. The deck is pretty much dead flat with just a slight dished out section at the tail for my hips.

It was knocked out in less than a hour during a recent backyard barbecue (and it looks like it) and was immediately dubbed the HDP by my friends. It started off as a glued up pine shelf that I picked up at Home Depot for a project at home. Hence the name HDP, Home Depot Paipo. The basic shape was roughly based on a very nice foam and glass paipo that I have.

Nobody (including myself) gave it much hope but once I got a chance to get it wet, that changed. The first go out was in less than ideal conditions, about chest high with side shore winds, but it soon proved to be quite fast and easily made every section that presented itself. It has the kind of down the line speed that I find in my HPD and other pick style boards plus the control that I have come to associate with longer and narrower boards. As the day progressed the winds obliged by shifting offshore and the swell bumped up to around head high. In these cleaner conditions the board really started to shine. Right away it let it be known that it had a very distinct sweet spot in regards to body position, and when I did my part, it showed itself to be quite nimble.

All in all, this spur of the moment project turned out pretty good. It has speed on par with my HPD but is far more controllable. Kind of a blend between the short/wide and long/narrow schools of thought. For now it's my go to board because it's so much fun to ride and every time I take it out I learn something new about it. That makes for an even more interesting experience. Too bad it looks like such a pig.

Roger
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: