rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Surfing on Air ?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building
View previous topic :: View next topic  
surffoils

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:29 pm    Post subject: Surfing on Air ? Reply with quote

We've all tried different materials and designs in attempts to reduce wetted surface area or to enhance performance but is it possible to surf on air ?
Kind of like a surfmat but without the bottom skin, the benefits of an Air Board would be that the bouyancy can be altered to suit the wave or rider, it would also have minimal foam and possibly a multi piece board that fits in a backpack.
Because it rides on air it would conform to the optimal shape of the wave and have low friction.
I know there are 'air-lubricated' boards that are a bit like this but they dont have all these benefits in one board.
The closest I can find to illustrate is this board, but imagine its upside down and only the rails contact the water.

It might not be possible but its worth asking if anyones thought of it ..?
Uncle Grumpy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Brett,
I think Dale Solomonson did some experimenting along those lines a while back. You might find something about it on Sway's....
Glad you are back BTW.
surffoils

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have a chat to Dale. Its just intriguing to think of a board with minimal wetted surface and potentially drag free ( almost)
If not a clear skin of air maybe a foamy layer ??
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how much has been done with dual tank air mats...two air intake valves, two chambers. Make it so you could quickly dump the air from the mid section of the mat. A big (overdrive) button near the nose that you slam with the side of your fist or the heel of your palm.

Ditto for the other types of air lubricated boards...they need some sort of switch. Be kind of fun to get in trim, wait for the wave to start tubing, then slam down the overdrive button.
surffoils

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What effect would the loss of air have?
Would it be better because its more flexible or reduced bouyancy ?
How about a dual chamber mat but have a top chamber that stays inflated and a lower one that deflates ?
Has anyone made a solid mat ? Like fibreglass over an inflated mat to see if its the flexibility or the shape thats so efficient.
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a local biotech company developing something they call "synthetic muscle." The stuff is like maple syrup when it's relaxed, but hardens up when a small electrical charge is applied. They supposedly modeled it after the fiber pattern found in abalone muscle. I think their aim is to make a bunch of money in the erectile dysfuntion market. I was thinking it would be cool to have a pair of swim fins made with that synthetic muscle in the blade. Variable stiffness swim fins. Maybe control it with a timered proximity switch. The fins are rigid when moving left and right past each other, but they go limp two or three seconds after you keep your feet together, like in a dolphin kick. I've often wondered how much drag you get when you have really stiff swim fins plowing through the wave behind you. I'm still working on the name, but I've narrowed my choices to "Erecta Fins" or "Stiffies." Yawn...getting late here. Only about an hour and a half left of April Fools Day. I better hit the submit button now.
surffoils

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heres a new design Im working on.... part board / part inflatable.

Its got an EPS perimeter, then Im doing carbon rail wrap and an inflatable material skin top and bottom.

The rails started out 5 inches wide now theyre down to 3.

Im trying to get it as minimalist as I can, just a light semi rigid carbon perimeter and the inflatable fabric.

Theres still about 50 % more foam to remove to get it down to bare bones functional.

Its as close to riding on air as I can imagine, the inflatable component will give it that mega bouyancy and run, and the rigid rails will give it the paipo edge and trim.
Its still a board but its just the exo skeleton.
bgreen

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have absolutely no idea, but looking at you shaping, a slightly different idea occurred to me. What would happen if you had a piece of ply sandwiched between the oval two pieces of foam so it wasn't directly in contact with the water. Your weight might put it in contact but the foam might reduce the amount of contact.

The other consideration, a few paipo are based on the idea that the tail area provides the planing area and when you are riding, it is the primary surface in contact with the water. The nose serves little function. It might be worth also looking at footage of a spoon and seeing what part of the board is in contact with the water.

Is the hyrofoil buried?

Bob
bgreen

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surfers Journal 20(4) has a piece with Carl Ekstrom. He describes a guy called Bufo who sells a stringerless, air-pressurized board. He's from Oceanside. Anyone know of this guy?

Bob
surffoils

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bgreen wrote:
I have absolutely no idea, but looking at you shaping, a slightly different idea occurred to me. What would happen if you had a piece of ply sandwiched between the oval two pieces of foam so it wasn't directly in contact with the water. Your weight might put it in contact but the foam might reduce the amount of contact.
Bob

I like that idea Bob, I always have a ton of new ideas but never the time to build them all !
I dont think theres enough foam in the new board for there to be adequate planing area on the bottom, when I was making hydrofoils I worked out that I can plane on a minimum area of 250 square inches, which is about the same area as 2 computer keyboards.

Ive vac-bagged this perimeter rail with 2 layers of 10 oz Innegra instead of carbon fibre and sanded it smooth.

And some sad little people have suggested that it looks like a kiddies toilet seat...

well... maybe it does !!!

Anyhoo, the next step is to measure and adhere the waterproof material to the glass, its a bit of a mental exercise to work out the best way to get the desired shape from the fabric once its inflated.
Im going to use a pretty heavy weight of material for the first attempt as theres no fun in having it rip /split or tear on the first surf.... That'd just piss me off.
The 2 part PVC glue is (allegedly) capable of making a solid bond with material and cured resin so we'll see what happens this week.

Already I can see this board is too chunky aesthetically.....Ive got a plan to make the next version by vaccing several 10mm layers of
XPS together with glass in between to slim it down but keep the strength.

Strictly speaking its not a paipo or a mat but it is a prone surfcraft of some mutation.
Names already offered include...
The Beast.
Hoverboard.
NUMPY.
Morphyn. (because the shape morphs as it rides)
...take your pick !
surffoils

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I finished that board and Ive ridden it a few times, its got that uber-bubble feel from all the air but it also rides a bit like a solid craft. Its all control thru the front hand and the hips.

Glued the PVC material on, no worries.

waxed and ready to go...

Sits really high in the water and pretty much needs no extra inflation.

Next one has a 1/2 in eps shell with glass and carbon lam and a twin pontoon design.

Just doing the last of the glassing, need to decide on whether to do a veneer deck and then glue the fabric on a maybe twin inflation tubes in the tail so I can vary the pressure in each pontoon...

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: