rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Marine Ply

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building
View previous topic :: View next topic  
willy.wipeout

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:11 am    Post subject: Marine Ply Reply with quote

Hi
My next project thinking of using 3mm marine ply as deck , but what I really want to know is Marine Ply superior to ordinary ply. Also is there a light hardwood out there for making my rails, not Palowina as I cannot obtain this in the uk

Cheers
mrmike

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

birch ply is also nice you can use cedar it is light and looks nice shold be easy to get there all ply uses water proof glue now a days mrmike Cool

Soulglider

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:25 am    Post subject: x Reply with quote

errrr. balsa.
Uncle Grumpy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is marine ply superior to standard ply?
In a word yes.
The biggest difference between marine ply and standard ply is quality marine ply has no voids and is typically made with thicker veneers; especially on the face.
These days most of the Marine Ply is made with glue that is actually boil and freeze proof.
If you choose to use Birch ply please make sure it is very well sealed.
I suspect there is probably some sort of African lumber being imported into the UK that would make an acceptable substitute for paulownia. The main concern is the weight and workability.
OG-AZN

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you go with marine ply, avoid a product called "Hydro-Tek Marine-Philippine Mahogany". A friend recently bought a 3/8" full sheet for a boat project, and the face veneer of that ply was extremely thin, soft, and fragile.
bgreen

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WW,

I'll echo the above comments. A while back I looked into buying marine ply and found just because it was marine ply, it wasn't necessarily good marine ply. Find a person that sells different types of marine ply and ask about the differences in quality. Check between stores and ask what grade & types of wood & how it differs from X. A bit of research and you'll learn plys are a lot more complex than they appear at first and which is best suited to your needs.

The other option is to contact a UK woodworking or wooden boat forum.

Bob
Uncle Grumpy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the UK you should easily be able to find the world's best marine ply.
It's made by Brunyzeel. BS 1088 is what to look for.
BS stands for British Standard.
willy.wipeout

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One company alone is listing six different types of marine ply all with B S standards.Palowina would be my wood of choice for the rails but will probably be using a very dense Balsa wood that I can get my hands on, the only trouble with Balsa is it sucks in glue like a sponge. The idea is to make the rails and glue them on to the ply deck giving me some rocker, then use a piece of bodyboard foam in the middle instead of making it hollow.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: