rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Swimfins

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave
View previous topic :: View next topic  
willy.wipeout

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:03 am    Post subject: Swimfins Reply with quote

I know this subject has probaly been done to death but bear with me ,is it better to have a stiff blade on your swimfin ? I would have thought a little flex would be better , like a spring storing energy before realeaseing it, at the moment using Laguna neo Fins which are taking a bit of getting used to
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer a flexible swim fin for a number of reasons. One of the most important reasons is that it makes for an easier paddle out to the line-up when surfing point break type places, i.e., several hundred yards - I give up some of the sprint power of a stiffer fin in catching waves but am accustomed to using my arms and also use paddling gloves. Secondly, a flexi-blade does not torque my ankles.

My flexi-blade fin of choice these days in the Viper V5 Orange Dot (flex blade version). However, my newer pair seems to have as much flex and give as my old pair which is cracking along the side walls. I might be open to trying out a pair of V5 Yellow Dots.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having a bad knee...I notice how the whitewater tweaks my fins both when duck diving and when riding a wave. A flexible fin limits the impact of this "reverse thrust."
mrmike

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like some flex does not ware us old guys out Laughing
willy.wipeout

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that I read that George Greenough used to grind down the surports on his Duck Feet fins to make them more flexible and lop of a couple of inches as well , it seem,s like the stiffer the blade the quicker I get the dreaded calf cramps
bgreen

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerry,

Bongoman who used to post here will know about George's fins. Greenough is not a big guy so it's not surprising he takes some length off.

I prefer a stiffer fin - I returned the orange dot vipers for yellow dots - didn't seem to get going anywhere with them. I also like the blue & yellow churchills. I have a pair of duck feet that I have only used a couple of times - they are a workout.

Fins are a really personal preference - need to try a lot to find what suits.

I get cramps - but I've also got tight calves. I do lots of stretching, drink plenty of water, take the odd magnesium tablet. Cramps are worst if I haven't surfed for a while or have'n't surfed a long point wave and then do a lot of work.

Bob
HIpaipo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer semi-flexy fins. Some stiffness for propulsion, and some flex to save your feet, as I have gotten a bump on my right foot from using duck feet fins.
It is also about preference, some people can use duck feet without problems, some like Vipers- some say the Viper foot pocket is too small, etc...
I use Da Fin and Kicks fins and like them because they have a soft rubber foot pocket and both have enough thrust to get me onto waves with a few kicks.
But the bottom line is that you're probably gonna end up spending time and money finding the best fin for you. I have gone through duck feet, viper v5, viper v7, UDT duck feet, and have finally ended up at Da Fin and Kicks.
mrmike

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have almost try them all over the last 40 years I use the kicks now they are kinder to my feet MIKE
puurri

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used Turnbull "Giants" for years but they closed. Currently (as a bigfoot) I use Stratos Techni-sub full foot divers fins.
RNT808

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I'd revisit this thread to share a recent discovery that has worked out great for me.

I have difficult feet to satisfy when it comes to fins. They're not overly large, they are just oddly proportioned. About size 12 on the length but at least EEEE on the width. And to make it worse my arches are super high. If I can find fins that will fit the shoe size they are almost never wide enough. And if I do find a pair that have the size and width I'm almost guaranteed a crush fit across the top of my foot because of my high arches. That can lead to some murderous cramps.

A while back I got a pair of Neo Fins that were made before the latest incarnation from Laguna. They were designed for snorkeling as opposed to surfing and had a super comfortable foot pocket and about twice the blade as the current models. Without a doubt the best fins I ever had. Sadly, as far as I can tell, they're not made anymore and my old pair are just about dead.

Which leads to my recent discovery. I popped into a local bodyboard shop the other day and as I was browsing their fin selection came across a pair of “Da Fins” in size XXL. They are labled 15-16 and are called the “Big Bu” model. I tried them on and was amazed at how comfortable they were. Needless to say, I bought them and had a chance to use them in the water last week in a pretty decent “sneaker” South swell we had. Plenty of power to catch waves but most of all, comfort. I was out for about three hours and my feet felt great. If you are a real “Sasquatch” like me' you might want to give these guys a try. They are the “new” best fins I ever had.
mrmike

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my Da Fins Laughing
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: