rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Paipo Interview Updates
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:21 pm    Post subject: Paipo Interview Updates Reply with quote

Hello All,

A couple of new paipo interviews have been posted recently: Chuck Gardner and Skip Briggs. Both gentlemen are Wedge bellyboard pioneers. Still awaiting some photographs.

http://mypaipoboards.org/interviews/Paipo_Interviews.shtml

Several other interviews are being finalized or in various stages of preparation. If there is anyone else you think should be interviewed let Bob Green (bgreen) or I know. Additionally, if you would like to help out in the interviewing of current or past paipo/bellyboard riders please let us know.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bgreen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rod is probably on a plane as I type. Two more interviews have recently been added (there probably has been a few others such as Surffoils interview since Rod's last update), with a few more on the way.

Larry Goddard has had a long paipo career and there is lots of history and design material covered.

http://mypaipoboards.org/interviews/LarryGoddard/LarryGoddard.shtml

Richard Safady's story follows on from the Paul Gross interview, with his account of riding longer prone boards.

http://mypaipoboards.org/interviews/RichardSafady/RSaf.shtml

Bob
bgreen

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:37 pm    Post subject: More interviews and more on the way Reply with quote

All,

An interesting story from Australia - riding solid waves on small ply boards in freezing water: http://mypaipoboards.org/interviews/BryanHayden/BHayden_2010-0113.shtml

Larry Goddard's interview has been added to (and is continuing to be added to) while you might notice some names without interviews (they are on their way: Paul Lindbergh, Nels Norene and Bud Scelsa):

http://mypaipoboards.org/interviews

More planned as well.

regards

Bob
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to know about Bryans view of the timeline of the single fin vs twin fin. And was Greenough a single fin influence on their group? Looking forward to photos.
bgreen

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah,

I'll pass on your questions - by timeline, I gather you are interested in when they dropped a single fin in favour of a twin or when they first trilalled a twin?

Also, I can't recall whether I have asked you this previously - did you research the origin of the term lamaroo/what the word meant?

regards

Bob
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or even if twin fins came first, or shallow runners.

Bryan mentioned "footy shorts".....are those shorts that slide down to your feet by the end of the wave?

As for the term lamaroo. I got that from the Surf Research AU site. I know the derivation and spelling is still fuzzy. Probably from Victoria. I may be guilty of helping to spread info and spelling that's incorrect, but I think the word lamaroo is cool and should be allowed to live on. Ideally I'd like to see the word lamaroo written (legibly) on a vintage postcard with a legible postmark...or maybe a diary entry.

Current links:

http://www.surfresearch.com.au/00000233.html

http://www.surfresearch.com.au/agl.html

Maybe it just derives from the way a bellyboard or sufmat hops and bounces...like a kangaroo??
bgreen

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah,

Here is Bryan's reply"

"Bob, twin fins were certainly around in the early '60s (lumaroos) and
probably the 50's in Qld ,but Ian and Kit were experimenting from what
they had seen, George would have swapped ideas with them as we were
interested in the craft he used. Cheers Bryan".

The kangaroo hopping theory is a new one - I'll add it to the list.

Footy shorts - Australians like to shorten words and add a 'Y" A lot of lifesavers would have been winter footballers - no boardshorts so they wore football shorts (and football jumpers). Some more trivia - someone with red hair would probably get called "bluey" - just to confuse things.

Bob
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of updates starting with a new posting and an updated posting.

Bud Scelsa Interview by Bob Green and John Clark. e-Mail interview based on questions by Bob Green and interview organized by John Clark. April 9, 2010. Honolulu, Hawai`i. "Paipo knee-rider." John Clark, Bob Green and Bud put together another top notch Q&A session with several photographs in our continuing effort to document the oral history and traditions of paipo/belly boarding.

Larry Goddard Interview by John Clark based on questions from Bob Green. Appendix based on e-mails with Bob Green between Sept. 2009 - Nov. 2009. September 22, 2009. Honolulu, Hawaii. Updated content has been added - some narrative, more pictures and a still to be completed section on designs (see the links to design sheets in the interview). Larry has sent me rest of the descriptions on the design sheet diagrams - these will be updated when I return from Puerto Rico).

Soon to be posted are interviews with Paul Lindbergh (paipo.com/HPDs) and Nels Norene (vagabondsurf.com).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Paul Lindbergh Interview Posted Reply with quote

Paul Lindbergh Interview by Bob Green. Phone interview and questions by Bob Green. February 25, 2010. Big Island, Hawaii. Keeping the lineage going.

Excellent job by Bob and Paul.

The Paipo Interviews:
http://mypaipoboards.org/interviews/Paipo_Interviews.shtml
geoffreylevens

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was great! Made me want on right off.
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rodndtube wrote:
Larry Goddard Interview by John Clark based on questions from Bob Green. Appendix based on e-mails with Bob Green between Sept. 2009 - Nov. 2009. September 22, 2009. Honolulu, Hawaii. Updated content has been added - some narrative, more pictures and a still to be completed section on designs (see the links to design sheets in the interview). Larry has sent me rest of the descriptions on the design sheet diagrams - these will be updated when I return from Puerto Rico).

The Annotated Design Sheets for Larry Goddard's paipo designs has been updated. Check it out:
http://mypaipoboards.org/interviews/LarryGoddard/Designs/thumb.shtml
geoffreylevens

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool! I love it when someone gets in deep enough to document everything they try so they can refer back and have body of knowledge to base future experiments on. Reminds me of Dale Solomonson who has done that w/ mats and many varieties of more rigid wave riding vehicles.
bgreen

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah,

I did an interview with Bob 'Kit' Carson 2 days ago. He brought the ply boards to Victoria that Bryan Hayden surfed. He indicated they had twin fins and then tried singles. The balsa bellyboards that were already available were also twin fins. Kit first surfed a bellyboard around 1963 - he described seeing Greenough's surfing much later. I have made contact with the guy who introduced bellyboards to Kit- yet to hear the details.

Bob
bgreen

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 4:39 am    Post subject: Jeff Callaghan interview Reply with quote

All,

The latest interview is posted here:

http://mypaipoboards.org/interviews/JeffCallaghan/JeffCallaghan_2010-0516.shtml

More classic waves on a 3' piece of ply + a mini tutorial on southern hemisphere cyclones. One part of the interview is classic Australian understatement - Jeff hitchhikes to the coast, a place he hadn't been before and the surf is 10'. He has no board - what would you do? He goes out bodysurfing.

Bob
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of more good interviews by Bob Green will be posted in a couple of days... when I get a chance to compose them in web language. Been catching some rare summer surf the past few days down along Florida's Space Coast and busting through four more volumes of Surfer Magazine (v12 through v15) as part of the paipo capturing. The mags are on-loan from the Cocoa Beach Surf Museum - 3 more mags to go and then it is scanning time.

Look for interviews with Kit Carson and Jack McCoy right around the corner.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: