rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Handles on Paipos

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HIpaipo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:22 pm    Post subject: Handles on Paipos Reply with quote

I was wondering about the use of handles on paipos after reading John Galera's interview. He said in the interview he uses the handle to hold onto with one hand when paddling for a wave.
Right now my grip style is similar to bodyboarding, with one hand on the nose, and the other hand holding onto the outside rail. When I take off on waves, I just hold the board out in front of me and kick. I have no problems with either of these styles, but I am wondering if putting on a handle will improve control when turning, and improve grip on the board. Anyone have a handle on their board?
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No handle on my boards - but I do use a leash attached to my right wrist. I normally paddle with both arms when catching a wave, freestyle or butterfly style, and of course use my swim fins. But as often as not my paddling is tor position for the (late) takeoff. Quite a mix actually.

Every so often, usually only when wearing a wetsuit, the board will squirt out in front of me and leave me behind. It is kind of hilarious in a kooky sort of way Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
HIpaipo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, i have 2 different takeoff styles: holding the board out in front for not so hairy takeoffs, and laying on top of the board and kicking for late/ steep takeoffs
OG-AZN

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never put a handle on a paipo. I had them on some bodyboards when I was young. For turns & control, I've found that it's more effective to apply directional force to the corner of the nose combined with leverage to the rail. Trying to direct turns from the center of the nose with a handle doesn't seem as efficient - you have less leverage with your arm(s) positioned close together holding the handle..
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My boards have been 50" long and generally 19 to 21 inches wide, made of foam/fiberglass. The nose area has soft rails so as not to dig on turns and to provide an easy release - the aft end of my board has hard, turned under surfboard style rails and a tail that is rather wide, almost square but with rounded edges (my body is back there!). I also use a center fin of 4 to 6 inches and two sidebites, about 2" each. Between the rails and fins and not a tremendous amount of rocker I am able to make hard turns easily and quickly.

I would be very wary of using a handle for fear of snapping a wrist or messing up an arm/elbow. A 5 to 6 foot leash provides a lot of play and separation between the board and I.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bgreen

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HIpaipo,

John's boards have a particular configuration - curved bottom with channels and curved deck. These boards are also more difficult to paddle because of the curved deck and lower flotation. The handle increases leverage in turning, but it's applicability to other designs is really unknown by me. I could ask John if you liked.

As Rod mentioned - DO NOT hold onto the handles during a wipe out. Thumbs rather than wrists are where I have had problems.

I'm not entirely sure of the function of deck handles on the old style paipo boards and Wally Froiseth's boards . I gather they were a way of holding onto a board while riding and duckdiving - not sure about their use in turnng. Again, I could ask Leigh Tingle if you were interested.

regards

Bob
Soulglider

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:45 am    Post subject: xs Reply with quote

i use to ride kneeboards with handles. well only had one board like that. it was before leashes and the place i surfed was real rocky. i twisted fingers, wrists, my shoulder and had a handle jammed into my chest more than once. no leash anymore, i use the "kung fu" grip! handles? nope. i know a couple of guys that use handles and swear by them. i think the bodyboard style mixed with the 2 hands up front style, mixed with the hawaii one or both hands off is the best. each wave and each portion of the wave commands its own "style." try 'em all brah!
HIpaipo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ho, Soulglider, I wen try ducktape one piece string to my board, and den I wen try leaning on it like I was turning.... Anyway (and in proper English) I found out that with with a handle on the board, you put more weight on the elbow on the inner rail, which was uncomfortable, being my elbow was dug into 3/4 inches of plywood and a couple of resin coats.

bgreen, can you try asking Leigh? It would be interesting to see what he says.
Soulglider

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:15 am    Post subject: ho Reply with quote

ho ho ho, you like try grine up yoseff bradduh, or what? you like try on boogie wid day string, eh?
bgreen

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HIpaipo,

Leigh basically said it was something to grip on to.

Wes also said it was to hang onto, but added that it kept his elbows from hanging over the board edge, and also that it can be pulled and down " to steer like a Bike"

John emphasized use of the handle to stay on his board to prevent his hand slipping off, also "the hand on the handle mainly stabalizes and holds the line of the nose(also some place to tie the leash)."

There you go,

Bob
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: