rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Board Sock Shop

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> For Sale, Wanted or Trade
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Birdie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 10:50 am    Post subject: Board Sock Shop Reply with quote

Here's a place that will custom make a board sock for that hard to fit Paipo or bellyboard....

You can send her a template - made of paper.

http://boardsockshop.com/
Birdie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to see if I can get her to make one for my Paipo - out of padded reflective material...and with a pocket for fins, suit whatever....AND, shoulder straps!

The zipper/opening has to be at the top of the bag, and the board put in, nose down....and have the pocket midway up the bag.... shoulders are wider than torso's....and the bottom of HPD's are wider than the noses, so, they have to go in, nose first - to be at the bottom of the bag....

Other ideas for Hawaiian Paipo Design bags???

doc
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heavy mesh ( like the coated mesh here http://www.rockywoods.com/meshs_main.htm) on the bottom of the fin/wetsuit pocket and somewhere in the bag so sand and water can get out and not be a hassle/ burden, a snap for keys and etc ( see http://www.strapworks.com/nylonsnaps.html ) , reflective material is nice, but a light colored material is fine.

A zip-out insulated pocket for food and drink and what have you? Dry ( use vinyl or something ) pocket for towel, etc...

been playing with some of this stuff myself, you see.........
Birdie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc,

I was wondering if you might be up for The Paipo Bag challenge!

Let us know!

I am in the process of getting a new HPD with custom color, and...as my other one has had a wee slight bit of rail crunch...(I think it bounced into the yakima bike rack stored in the back of the truck on a bump...just an edge of the rail spot)...

But....I need to bag these and get some ding protection going....

I have bags for everything else - Mike Stewart, Balin, DaKine, Toobs, Dean Cleary, etc...

If you come up with a design, let Paul at HPD know.

Ummm, thinking of an orange board with indigo blue lines poured across...for the HPD SR custom colors....for that "Yo, I am not a seal or turtle" look.

Instead of shark camo decals...

Yeah, well.....tigerstripe is very close to the shark camo look...

So, my color design schemes have a method to their madness.

Board bags tho...as long as they aren't dark and wont attract heat and can cool off - dry off with some ventilation, and you can hose the salt outta them...and...they won't rip...(my Mike Stewart is starting to rip where the top pocket section attaches...and I love that bag), and you can stash keys, glasses, wax, ear plugs, gloves/booties/fins/hat....sunscreen zinc...cellphone...whatever...and a way to lock it Smile

I'd bee keen on one of your designs.

I have a Speedo swim backpack, for pool stuff, which has some cool features...

Cheers

Birdie
doc
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 6:53 pm    Post subject: The paipo board bag challenge?? Reply with quote

While I dunno about color choices and such.............. a few ideas.....

Not a form-fitted bag, instead a rectangular one you can take any board in. Backpack straps with chest strap ( so you can ride your bike to the beach) , wax resistant lining and such ( fabrics available from http://www.owfinc.com/)

foam available from http://www.atrim.com/Page6.html which is doubled along the sides and bottom, where the thing will take hits. Use 1/2" padding instead of 1/4" padding if you want it to double as a travel bag, but make the backpack straps removable or hideaway like the travel packs.

Pocket flap fasteners could be straps and buckles/snaps rather than zippers. Might also be a good idea to have a couple of cinch straps around the pack so you could tighten down around a less-than-max-size board.

leastwise, those are my initial thoughts..... any suggestions?
doc
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a few additional thoughts on bag design -

Zippers should be #10 size and definitely toothed zippers, not coil. The larger zippers ( same as you find on wetsuits ) are more resistant to sand and such. 1" or wider Velcro will be fine too

There might be a wax pocket ...there might not. If you want to use a neoprene deck pad it's unnecessary ( and see http://www.owfinc.com/Hardware/Shardware/neoprene.asp for neoprene ) .

Attaching the mesh is tricky, believe me. Sandwich it between fabric, then sew it.

I'd suggest a minimum of #92 bonded dacron thread ( comes in lots of colors ) and #138 would be ideal. However, the #138 is kind of beyond the strength of a home sewing machine, even the nice, old, all metal ones from the '50s that are still around.

On that note, if you happen to be looking through your local junk shop and you see a Pfaff 130 or 230 going for ten bucks, score it. Even if you don't want it ( and it's one of the rare exceptions to the rule above, it will do #138 thread and heavy materials) .....I do..... good for fixing sails among other things. Morgan Memorial and the Sally Army seem to get a lot of 'em, especially in what you might call retirement areas. The yuppie scum kids get rid of Grandma's old non whizbang sewing machine after they send her off to the home and squabble over her antiques.

While you could use boat awning/sail cover cloth for this ( Sunbrella and its cousins) Nylon Packcloth is ideal.

How to build it:

Lay out and cut all pieces, allowing an extra inch and a half seam allowance of fabric beyond the finished size of the pieces on everything except the foam . Include reinforcing for where pack straps attach to the body of the pack and double the fabric at the bottom of the main bag.

Okay, on with the sew...that's a canvas worker pun.

Stitch together the top of the 'misc pocket', outside to outside , about 1/2" in from the edge. Repeat 1/4" from the edge. This is the seam/stitch you'll use for everything.

Turn it right side out, fold, maybe give it a quick crease with an iron along the seam. Fold over ( both layers together) the unsewn edges 1/4" from the edge, insert the foam padding ( a dab or two of contact cement to stick the inside fabric to the foam wouldn't be a bad idea) and stitch the misc pocket to the fin pocket

Do the same thing to the tops of all pieces. Attach velcro or zippers, 'cos you won't be able to later. Attach pack straps and reinforcements too. Use a box and cross stitch ( see your backpack ) for attaching the nylon straps to the main body of the pack

Stitch bottom and sides of 'misc pocket' to the outside cloth of the fin/wetsuit pocket, centered. This is a double seam, just like the above, except it's gonna show.

Attach the mesh bottom to the fin pocket and attach to the outside layer of the main bag ( if it's gonna be like the sketch ) or don't - I'll do another sketch of a simplified version.

Attach the mesh for the main bag. Insert foam and mebbe use a little contact stickum as above.

Put the whole shebang inside out - outside cloth to outside cloth - and stitch along the edges, attach the top and you're pretty much done.

I left out a lot of details, 'cos lets be realistic, who is gonna build one of these?

That's why I have been buying my board bags rather than making 'em. There's a lot of work involved, and standard canvas worker rates ( sail loft shop time) of $40 per hour make it uneconomical. Standard third world rates ( where surf stuff is made) of 23 cents a day are more economical.

Birdie, if you can get your board sock lady to make you something ( you may have to get the material for her if it's not what she uses, she probably doesn't stock it ) for a reasonable price, go for it....

doc...........
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> For Sale, Wanted or Trade All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: