rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Soulglider and the Black Magic board

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nels
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:29 pm    Post subject: Soulglider and the Black Magic board Reply with quote

Worthy of new thread...I've wondered about mini-simmons applications to paipo. I was thinking about hacking out a Home Depot foam/epoxy version but given that I've only seen one up close once I figured I ought to think about it before making an atrocity for the landfill. Not that thinking about it more will change the outcome...

So, what's the deal. Did you make it? Anything you might do differently other than trying thinner?
HIpaipo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess a twinny paipo would work, it seems like most Newport Paipos are like that. BTW, you spoke of foam and Home Depot, do they sell foam there or something???
Nels
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
BTW, you spoke of foam and Home Depot, do they sell foam there or something???

Check out Swaylock's, search for Home Depot foam, whole threads on using DIY store insulation foam and glassing with epoxy resins. Saves money on foam blanks, an especially useful thing if you are learning, or like some of us don't learn all that quickly. Fun stuff.
Soulglider

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:46 am    Post subject: cas Reply with quote

thanks for the interest. at this point i cant figger out what i'd do to make it better, other than thinning it out to see what that'd do. with the fins being so flexible it gives this board a feeling of fins free but the drive of a twin fin. the boomerang cut really works to add flex, you can feel the fins load up and pop out of turns. these are basically keel fins that work! i have to say, that in the type of boards i ride 19.5-20 wide is perfect. its fast down the line and very positive in turns with the right template. the abstract one mention below is 24 wide and is very fast, sits in the tube but, if you get any white water under it, it starts sliding out.

nels, you'd have to see the board in person to get the full effect and the intricacies of shape. i wish i could shape this well. i didnt and couldnt. Jeff McCallum is the shaper. he is a great guy, young but very into it. he listened and put everything i was asking for in a board to work and in this little package. it helps that he rides paipos, spoons, mini simmons' himself. this is the second board hees made for me. the first one works really well but, we addressed the problems with that one with this one and BAM! we nailed it.

i have made a couple of boards from the Home Depot eps insulation foam (the white stuff) and epoxy. they were great fun! i just used the 1.5 inch thick stuff. the one in the upper right corner (abstract art on bottom) is one of them

geoffreylevens

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played around w/ HD foam. It doesn't shape nearly as clean as "real" foam (tends to want to tear and shred under surform) but it does the job and is very low cost. Another advantage besides cost is you can get thin sheet, glue the together in a jury-rigged press and voila! instant rocker. Also, interesting idea was reading in John Galera was gluing them together to per form channel(s) on bottom, which has its own problems but eliminates others. Anyhoo, the HD foam does need to be well sealed prior to glassing due to low density allowing resin to 'soak in'. Maybe. New product from Resin Research is quick gel epoxy that Greg says eliminates sealing need on most foams! See thread on Swaylocks http://www2.swaylocks.com/forums/kwik-kick-epoxy
Soulglider

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:59 am    Post subject: as Reply with quote

geoff. i didnt have the same problem glassing it that you did. i did used the resin research though. i used new tools on the first one and it was a piece of cake. the second one, i used the same tools (they werent as sharp) and i did get the tearing etc. you mentioned. $4 for the piece of foam was real sweet.
slackkey

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so what are the dimensions on your black magic? Been thinking of the mini simmons approach myself. been looking at the white ponies by Larry mabile
Soulglider

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:47 am    Post subject: ad Reply with quote

4'4x19.5x1.5thick. these dimensions wont get you the board. the rails and bottom configuration are really intricate. just to slap "mini simmons" on this hybred doesnt do it justice. lots of R&D went into making this board. its a conglomerate of about 10 different boards, what makes them fast etc... but that shouldnt stop you from starting out on this wonderful journey of trial and error. this board is totally built for me, my style of riding, what i want out of a board. we've messed around with wide spots, rockers, rails, thicknesses, bottom contours and the like...good luck and sweet journey!
bgreen

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim,

How about some closeups on the rail& bottom? A nice looking board.

regards

bob
Soulglider

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:25 pm    Post subject: ghghj Reply with quote

bob, thanks. i'll try but, it being black its hard to to photograph black.
slackkey

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soulglider, beautiful board thanks foir the dimensions. Am not trying to copy yours just trying to figure out size wise for making a board. Am not to hip on surf design so will have to be trial and error. Thanks for the pics
Soulglider

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slacker, i wish you could copy it. its amazing, "nothing else like it on the market!" just kidding, it'd be cool if you could see it before you tried to copy it. if you are close to mollusk surf shop, check out liddles boards or fineline's hulls. those are the type od rails on this one and the bottoms are really close. hull bottom with just the slightest concave from front to back, very little rocker, with a slight kick in the nose to eliminate pearling and move the wide point behind where you put your elbows to keep water from flying in your face. 19-20" seems to be the fastest and most maneuverable and the square tail gives it width for speed but a point to turn off of.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: