rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New HPD design

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bgreen

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:32 am    Post subject: New HPD design Reply with quote

All,

Below is an e-mail from Paul Lindbergh about his new design.

Bob

"I thought I would share this with you too. A new Board. A redesigned Paipo SR. This one really flexes. We took out the rear cross piece to let it flex all the way. It's way crazy. I'm going to take some pics of it bent. It's very cool. A guy bought this one before I could take any pics and he is raving about the turnability of it. He is a very experienced paipo rider as well. So I believe him. It's very much like the spoon but with the shortness of the Reg paipo and the thin ness of the spoon. Pretty damn hot.

I'm going to make a short video and show off this board. We will see".
ted

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm gonna bug Paul right now so I can try it next week!
ted

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got an e-mail from Paul. He needs a test pilot for the new board, and I, as a half-converted sponger, get to be that lucky guy. Part of the plan is to get video of the new new board from the shore and from my helmet cam.
bgreen

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ted,

I look forward to seeing the footage. Any idea of where you are are planning the test rides? I also e-mailed Paul and said it would be great to see someone like Sean Ross on these new boards as well.

Great to see some potential for paipo footage to be recorded.

Bob
ted

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,

I picked up the board last Tuesday, but haven't had a chance to ride it yet due to work schedule. The board is much lighter than my standard HPD XL and definitely flexes like a taco if you load up the middle. I had expected flex across the long axis.

The surf is looking good here starting next Wednesday (8-12 feet in Kona, according to Surfline); I'll try to get some stills and video from the beach as the helmet cam is difficult to interpret.

Ted

p.s. Surf here December 23-27 was fantastic. I surfed every day and got some good rides on the Austin Paipo.
bgreen

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ted,

I had gathered the new version was minus the rigidity in the tail, so the flex would be on the horizontal.

Hope you get some good waves - I respect your spirit of testing it in some serious waves,

Bob
ted

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul said to bang the board up, so I'm not holding back. Paul saw the ding assortment on my XL as an indication of free-spirited usage. Since there are plenty of rocks around here (and no leash mount), there will be adequate opportunity to bang things up.

I do have a board selection scheme based on my ability and prevailing conditions:

Unfamiliar, rocky shorebreak entry or exit favors sponge.
Frequent or large close-out sets favors low buoyancy HPD.
Long paddle or need to beat sections favors Austin paipo.
Solo surfing at isolated break with possibility of being blown out to sea favors buoyancy of Austin or sponge.
Compact, competitive takeoff zone favors Austin or sponge.
Long or tricky portage to entry favors Austin or sponge.
Crowded, "local" break favors HPD for old school bonus status.

Report to follow.
ted

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did get out on Paul's new board today in small surf. Paddling and taking off seem very similar to the HPD XL, but bottom turns were noticeably snappier. Riding without a leash was a new experience, but the board never surfaced more than ten feet away.

Tomorrow promises bigger surf, so I hope to report how it goes on critical waves.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: