rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Something new from Oz

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OG-AZN

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:55 pm    Post subject: Something new from Oz Reply with quote

This guy from Sydney just popped up on the 805 bodyboard forum. Says he's making boards based on old paipo designs with "modern design innovations and materials." Info on his blog here: http://stormbodyboards.blogspot.com/

Sounds interesting. Maybe bgreen can check it out?
bgreen

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OG-AZN,

I was about to zip off an e-mail when I saw the manufacturer - it is Surffoils who has posted here in the past. I'll drop him a line and ask what he is up to.

Bob
surffoils

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:56 pm    Post subject: Thanks to Bob Green. Reply with quote

I havent been able to get onto this site for a year or two because of some internet glitch but with the change in URL or whatever, Im back. Thank you Rod.
Any way Bob Green has been keeping me in touch with whats going on here and recently I made a leap of faith and decided to make my own small commercial run of paipos but do it with all the latest technology thats cheap and available. Its not really a business venture, more of turning a hobby into a small dream. Ive always dreamed of having my own surf industry!! :D
Anyway Ive ended up with a prototype similar to a Newport Vector that will have a small run of 6 test boards made of a closed cell foam encased in a plastic skin /shell. Its all explained at the blog site http://stormbodyboards.blogspot.com
Some of those first boards are heading to Hawaii to a few guys who have graciously offered to ride and use their professional photographic skills to provide me with some images and video.
All going well I will get a very small run of 50 boards made that use a moulding technique so that every board is identical.
The boards come with full deck , full colour graphics or pure Vanilla and the boards are tapered so that the nose is thinner and has more flex and it thickens towards the tail.
Theres a little bit more on the blog about the design but I dont want to hype a feature that might not make it to the finished product.
If the boards sell I might make a few more.
If they dont, then Im an old fool with over 50 very modern paipos !!

Best wishes, Brett.
HIpaipo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm interested
bgreen

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brett,

HIpaipo is in Hawaii. Could he be added to the test pilot list?

Bob
HIpaipo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds pretty cool, but I don't think I'm really "qualified" to be a test pilot, I haven't been to the north shore yet, and the biggest wave I have ridden is probably about 7 feet high. I'am interested in buying one though.
surffoils

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the boards is going to Hawaii because theres 2 guys there who are doing professional pics of the board for me. So I might be able to hook you up with those guys, if youre interested?
The board is coming along nicely, Ive made about 20 different EPS core and epoxy prototypes and I think Ive got the shape worked out.
Next week I go to the factory where the boards will be made and sometime after that ( 4 weeks) I will get 1/2 dozen "1st run" boards that will go to various testers including the guys in Hawaii.
I'll post pics of them here.
Soulglider

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:45 am    Post subject: ff Reply with quote

its weird how pimping is in the genes.
bgreen

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brett,

Thanks for the update. I look forward to seeing how they go - are you going to post some footage online when you get it?

Tim,

A great collection of images.

Bob
surffoils

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bob, I bought a video camera just for the boards but now I need a kid to show me how to use it !
I'll post vid and more pics as I get them.
Heres some of the shape that going into production.

Its quite rounded except for a sharpish leading edge and the rails which roll off the deck but are hard and square on the bottom edge. I made some boards with round rails like on a surfboard but they felt slower to react than my flat ply paipo.

Heres a few pics of the type of full size graphics that will go on the boards. Any image is possible so you could upload your own artwork or photo and have a real customised board.

I think the way to go is to have a plain deck and put the art on the hull.
This is a funky 3-D effect
Brett.
Soulglider

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:50 am    Post subject: Black Magic Reply with quote

this board is my latest in the search for, well, perfection. the only problem is, perfection is always changin!

its 4'4x20x1.75 it has a pendo deck (i love this stuff), no need for wax and its really comfy! the fins are really flexible. 1/8" laid up fiberglass cloth routed into the board. no rope to cause undesired friction.

the board is fast, quick, super duper turnable and will go anywhere you desire to take her. this board has revolutionized my paipo/bellyboarding.

because of the pad its hard to see but, the nose is scooped out, the rails are pinched hull type rails, the bottom is a simmons modified hull bottom and the tail is only about 1/4" thick. the next one could go even thinner if i put another pad on it. thinner is always better!

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: