rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Danny Hess Wood Belly Paipos
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:47 pm    Post subject: Danny Hess Wood Belly Paipos Reply with quote

Tim passes this along: These are made by Danny Hess, wood board builder who's getting a bunch of attention these days. These are for sale for only $175 bucks. Not bad if folks wanna ride stuff like this.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kage
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow wow. Another commercial paipo builder?
IT'S A LANDSLIDE!
IT"S A MOVEMENT!
Dang.
Anyway here is his URL. I don't see those exact paipos, quite a few handboards though. I sent him an email and if all works well I will visit his shop next weekend (being in the city (SF) as we say out here) and I'll report when I get back.
I also told him about the forum, so everybody BE NICE!
OG-AZN

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if he'll let you take one for a test ride? Never rode a hollow board like that. Anyone out there have experience w/ this type of board. $175 is a good price seeing that foam bodyboards cost at least that much. I might be in SF this weekend for a concert, will try to check it out if so.

Kage, you up for an OB session if swell/winds cooperate next weekend?
Soulglider

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

these aint hollow. they are plywood.
kage
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although he does talk a lot on his website on hollow boards and the sandwich construction, It does look like a single sheet of ply, which is not a problem for me if it's the right sheet. SG, do you have any more info, or are you just being observant?
OB sounds good to me Og, but I will be with my non-paipo riding son so I'll get back to you when we're a little closer to the weekend and we can see what the forecast is like.
Soulglider

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:50 pm    Post subject: cc Reply with quote

no more info other than you can see them at mollusk. i think i saw a side view which shows the lam but, no dimensions.
OG-AZN

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soulglider wrote:
these aint hollow. they are plywood.

Ok thanks, that would explain the pricing. The board on the right looks similar to Morey's Catch Surf "Beater" board. Anyone tried one of those? Similar price point to the Hess ply boards.

No problem Kage. Let me know whatever works for you.
Nels
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The board on the right looks similar to Morey's Catch Surf "Beater" board. Anyone tried one of those?

I'm halfway interested in that board also. I visited the Catchsurf booth at Sacred Craft in Ventura last spring but don't remember seeing any, just the various Y boards.
Soulglider

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:24 pm    Post subject: b Reply with quote

hey nels, you comin down for the sd sacred craft? if you are lets get together.
mrmike

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if $175 for ply wood is so good you can get a ply skim board for $25 mrmike Cool
OG-AZN

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear ya Mike. I don't think I'd pay that, I still have a lot of unused ply laying around my place. I'm still curious to see what kind of rails the board has & how thick it is though. The Mollusk site has another pic with a person holding up the round nose board & a dog standing on the other. Both boards look a bit small for my taste. btw, those Hess boards are called "Shark Biscuits", haha.
mrmike

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

put a person on it and it is ham on a biscuit Laughing
bgreen

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the boards on the site- http://www.hesssurfboards.com/
it looks like some at least are compsand boards. In the photos posted by Rod, you can see what looks like the perimeter in the bottom up photos, if you look at the nose area. Can't see this deck up though, so some more details would be handy. Why not e-mail Danny.

Bob
kage
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not easy to find on the site. For those who had trouble, like I did, go to the "news" section on the right in the September 16 heading. What I am looking for in a plank like that is the right nose rocker. Bowl shaped, front and side rocker in almost equal amounts tapering back to flat. I need that in order to prevent the shoulder digging in on sharp turns when taking a steep drop. I couldn't see much on the photo when I finally found it, so I called the shop and talked to the guy - it seems like it might be only a turned up nose - no side to side shape. I'll still try and look at them next week. Sent a note to Mr. Hess, no response yet.
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kage wrote:
Not easy to find on the site. For those who had trouble, like I did, go to the "news" section on the right in the September 16 heading. What I am looking for in a plank like that is the right nose rocker. Bowl shaped, front and side rocker in almost equal amounts tapering back to flat. I need that in order to prevent the shoulder digging in on sharp turns when taking a steep drop. I couldn't see much on the photo when I finally found it, so I called the shop and talked to the guy - it seems like it might be only a turned up nose - no side to side shape. I'll still try and look at them next
week. Sent a note to Mr. Hess, no response yet.

I'll be damned if I can find a "news" section. Did I also say that Flash stinks!?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: