rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

tired of screwing around.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Soulglider

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:00 pm    Post subject: tired of screwing around. Reply with quote

Not really. I like all the boards i've made over the last couple of years, its been a fun journey, but. i wanna make an ultimate belly/paipo/body board. i'm 6'5 and 230lbs. i've been riding boards from 5' down to 46" long. from 30" to 19" wide. from 3" thick to 1/4" thick, with/without fins etc.

i've been reading bodyboard design sites. they explain that having the wide point behind your elbows help with the water shooting in your face (a big problem as of late), narrow noses for drop knee, wide for prone. different bottom contours for this and that.

has anyone out there thought about this kinda stuff when making a board? does anyone used these ideas in their board making?

i've been riding with my hole body up on the board, does anyone ride with just their torso, from hips to head, up on the board with your legs dangling off the back? whats faster? what makes for more powerful turning? is turning something desired in paipos?
HIpaipo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I beg to differ with narrow nose and drop knee on a paipo. I ride my paipo prone, with the bottom of my feet up to about half of my thigh hanging off of the board. The only problem I have is occasional pearling with the nose, but thats because the nose has no rocker.
Soulglider

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:56 am    Post subject: ca Reply with quote

thats whats been happeing a lot lately, the pearling. my current go to stick has zero rocker. i'm thinking of adding a flip to the nose. not too much, i dont want to slow it down, how much is the right amount? i think i'm going to move the wide spot back as well, i get so much spray its hard to see where i'm going a lot of the time.
bgreen

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim,

I don't profess to know much about design but have been doing & reading interviews with folks who have been built paipo/bellyboards. A couple of things.

1. Feet in the water = drag
2. emphasis on the smallest possible amount of wetted area in the water as possible = more speed
3. bigger, hollower waves seem to be ridden by narrower nosed boards. Not sure about the Wedge boards, still trying to get photos.
4. More bouyancy can produce degree of bounce in bigger waves, though the thin guitar pick style clearly get airborne in Waimea.
5. 40" seems to be the favoured length by many, though John Galeras boards are closer 5'.
6. Neutral bouyancy makes for duckdiving ease.

Bob
mrmike

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little wider in the end makes for a smoother ride just like a woman, but a narrow end I think makes it faster like a big gun surf board, I ride my boards both ways with most of me on the board and with legs off. with leg up= faster, leg in water= more turning power. I don't think there is a board for every type of wave that is why I got 22 boards and still counting. someone please buy some MRmike Laughing
HIpaipo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess a little less rocker than a Hawaii Paipo Designs board. Another thing I should add is that a curved up U sort of shape instead of a flat board works well, lots of speed and a sort of tipping feeling thats kinda cool. In case I did'nt really explain this well, here's a picture(NOTE-this board has no rocker in the nose)
http://hipaipo.deviantart.com/art/quot-7-quot-Paipo-121701089
Soulglider

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

? Am i looking at the nose to tail? ooooo, wait, its from the tail to the nose. if i'm right is just sort of a big belly dealeeo? am i right? that shape looks EXACTLY like one i made last year from EPS i got from home depot. i have the concave in the bottom, guess i should flip it over an try 'em. howd you get the belly?
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend reading this book as it has a decent discussion of board design during the 1900s. The principles are generally universal, but some need to be adapted for our shorter boards. The book is well written and easy to understand.
Kelly, John M. Surf and Sea. New York: A.S. Barnes, 1965.

I agree with Mr. Mike that there is not a board for every wave and riding style. Board design is a set of compromises and a process of optimizing. Bob Green listed a number of "factors" to consider. Many additional questions could be asked: Why would I want rocker? Why would I want channels and/or concaves? Why would I want a round bottom? What do I want the board to weigh? Why do I want buoyancy? There are many more.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Soulglider

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:36 am    Post subject: fsd Reply with quote

as always all great one...you always have the right questions. and sometimes really good answers. Wink

also, i think, for me anyway, its just that i get a new board, i love the "new" way it goes and then i start to get bored so, i start to stray or dream of what could be. what if...i love the journey...
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, to answer the question on turning... I love turning and carving. Guess that is one reason for loving my board and its fins (skegs).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Soulglider

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:08 pm    Post subject: x Reply with quote

that board was fun (except the leashie). can you ship one out so i can use it longterm to see if i like it? you can pick it up when you come out to visit. Wink
bgreen

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim,

I forgot about fins (because my boards don't have them) but finned or finless is another consideration. Rod did raise some interesting questions. The answer is more complex because they will vary so much with the overall board design. I stuck with a few basic parameters. How they are combined is virtually infinite, as the range of photos attest.

There probably isn't the perfect board - have fun looking.

BTW do you know much about editing DVDs - I have some old paipo footage Rod wants to see but it really needs editing.

Bob
Soulglider

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:36 pm    Post subject: X Reply with quote

sorry i dont know anything about video editing.
mrmike

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that why I got 20 some boards. I can look at them and say I havn't rode that one in awhile and find the fun in it again MRMIKE Cool
Soulglider

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:05 pm    Post subject: ad Reply with quote

i b catchin up. i wanna board that is waaaaay to dang fast and doesnt pearl and throw water in my face. is it because i'm TO much down in the water, to thin a board? i never had that problem when i was riding 3" thick boards that were 5' long. since i've gone shorter i can really make the board turn but, the water in the face and the pearling, ooooooh the pearling, is getting me down...maaaaan
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: