rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Aloha

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OG-AZN

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:56 pm    Post subject: Aloha Reply with quote

What's up folks? Just joined here. About 2 wks ago I saw a mocking reply post on a bbr forum suggesting someone use "knot grade plywood" to make a paipo or alaia. Had to laugh cuz I bet more paipos have been made(and actually ridden) from generic ply than any exotic wood. Not long after, I removed a warped plywood shed door at my place and decided to make a paipo. I made a bunch of ply paipos, along with handboards in woodshop class when I was a kid. Used to ride 'em all over O'ahu. Haven't made or ridden one in over 20 yrs though. Checked this paipo forum to see whats changed over the yrs. BTW, I live in Norcal now.

Anyways, I ended up using the same tried and true old school shape from my kid days (one of my old paipos stills survives in my parent's garage). Shaped the rails and tail more bodyboard like than my old paipos. Rushed the final sanding and threw on a coat of fast dry poly on both sides, followed by a coat of red fast dry enamel on the deck last Fri night so I could surf the south swell on Sat.. Unfortunately, SF area got the ass end of the south swell, but I managed to get some long fun ones solo around Taraval. Sets were overhead w/ plenty bump and current. Reminded me of typical tradewind swell at Makapu'u. Board worked good, handled some steep drops and closeouts. More flex than I remember for a paipo. I started w/ about a 1/2'' ply vs the 3/4" I used back in the day. Flex worked in my favor on the steep ones though. Definitely going to do more wood shaping and riding in the future. Anyone else in CA or HI ride paipo this past south swell? Hope to see some of you folks in the water.

kage
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome OG!,
I'm in Norcal too SC area. I only caught the beginning of the last swell (had to go on family vac. to Mountains). Why go to mountains? Confused
Not to bring up an obvious question, but dude! come to the gathering! See gathering ie. the great big honking one (look up tp top of page). Ride waves, meet many geezers, drink beer.
mrmike

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome OG come on down and have some fun with us even if is only for the day Cool
OG-AZN

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the welcome. Will try to make it down south for a day. Have to convince my gf to make the drive though. My truck just started to go bad on me -prolly have to replace the timing chain.

Hey, anyone know the link to the blog or website where there's a pic of 2 hippy haole guys standing around their paipos-looks like Hawaii in the 70's. The boards are shaped similar to mine. Saw this recently while looking for paipo info on the net - didn't save the link though.
OG-AZN

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neva mind about the pic. Found it on a site that has a link back to this forum.
http://www.platetectonicmusic.com/id183.html
bgreen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Og-Azn,

Nice looking board. Has any rocker been put into the bottom or is it it flat?
I have heard of all sorts of methods of putting nose lift into ply paipo so am interested to know what approach you took.

Bob
OG-AZN

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the compliment Bob. There's a very subtle nose rocker, and concave on the deck; but not due to my skills. As I mentioned, the board started life as a shed door. The unfinished wood door became warped over time from weather exposure, and I took advantage of that. The nose area of the board was the bottom portion of the door.
bgreen

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Og-Azn,

Sounds like there was some skill involved in harnessing the potential of the old door. How long is the board?

BTW, did you know Jim Growney when you were surfing on Oahu?

Bob
OG-AZN

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,

The board is 43" long. Wide point of nose & tail is 19" & 21.75" respectively. Mid-point is about 19.75". Hope to give it another try this morn w/ the folks from the forum in Big Sur. Surf forecast doesn't look to promising though.

I don't recall a Jim Growney on O'ahu, but I'm terrible w/ names. I do a little better w/ faces & boards. Left O'ahu in '94, but I go back to the islands once or twice a yr.
bgreen

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Og-Azn,

Thanks for the dimensions - the paipo get together sounds like fun. Hope you get some waves.

The forerunner of the HPD (Hawaii Paipo Design) boards were paipo made by John Waidelich, Jim Growney, Val Valentine and others. Jim is still on Oahu. A number of the old classic surfing books contained photos of unnamed paipo riders - it seems many of these photos were of John & Jim.

Bob
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: