rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

a bisectable paipo

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bgreen

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:36 am    Post subject: a bisectable paipo Reply with quote

This board can't compete with Mike's craftsmanship but hopefully it will go well. I'm looking forward to the pilot testing. I should add that it was made in Australia based on one of John Galera's designs. It took two attempts to find someone who could make it. The first surf was promising.

Bob

mrmike

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

look real nice to me. tell us how it goes Cool
kage
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's interesting. Was the idea to make a carry on size board?
bgreen

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only had one surf on the board in smallish conditions. It seemed to plane a bit faster than my other boards, turned well but what I don't know is how it handles size, step takeoffs and tubes. I hope to find this out over the next few weeks on my travels.

It was custom made for the purpose of air travel. The two halves fit snugly into a skim board cover and will officially be known as a skim board when I am asked.

I'm really looking forward to some northern hemisphere waves again.

Bob
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time for some techie info: What are the board's dimensions? How wide is the board 12" from the nose and tail? How much nose and tail rocker? How deep and wide is the channel? Rail description? Board weight? Construction materials? How do the two pieces connect together securely? How thick are those tubes and are they solid and aluminum?

P.S. Please send me some hi-rez pics, including the connection joints. You can upload them to the drop site: http://drop.io/paipodude/

Time is running short... have a great trip!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bgreen

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rod,

Unfortunately I have packed the board, taped and bubble wrapped it etc? If you happy for approximate details for the time being I can provide the dimensions of the board it was based on, one of John Galeras boards. Replicating John's board is no easy task. The system in fact would be easier on one of the boards you ride.

Construction is standard polyester resin over foam. Board is about 1" thick. 12" from the nose it is 17" wide and 12" from the tail it is 20" wide. At the tip of the nose there is about 2 9/16" lift, tail is basically flat. The boards however are not flat bottomed but rather they are one big curve. The channel is about 10" inches and about 1 7/8" deep at the the deepest section near the tail tapering to nothing back from the nose. The rail is flat incline, with just a bit of rounding on the edge - much more rounded near the nose. I think it would be near impossible making one of these designs without seeing one in real life. I vaguely recall John once saying he'd never seen anyone have too much luck copying the design.

Regarding the joining mechanism, my board has two cylinders because of the thinness of the board and the curve. I believe the standup versions only have 1 tube. The cylinders are epoxy - hollow and about 18" long. besides the tube that is inserted, there are fittings where the board has been halved - male and female fit together and a 2" screw is used to tighten the two halves. I found two photos Jason sent me regarding how an old versions works - on my board the screw comes through the side of the rail and there is no mechanism on the deck. I'll either upload or email these pics. The pictures were not from boards I owned so I should check with Jason about publicizing them widely.

With a more even thickness board you'd get away with one tube.

Bob
bgreen

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:08 pm    Post subject: bisect board -ride report Reply with quote

I rode the board in everything from less than knee high to 6-8' waves. In weaker waves the board planed better than the original. In the biggest waves I surfed, the buoyancy made the board skip a little like a stone thrown on a lake - the board was going really fast. There wasn't a loss of control but rather a small bounce.

I asked John Galera about this and he said he'd found the same thing, the less buoyant boards sit a bit lower in the water and you don't get the bounce.

To see a sample of the waves it was test-piloted in, see:
http://s516.photobucket.com/albums/u327/bgreenbgreen/Europe09/

I travelled to Scotland, France, Italy with detours to Spain and Hong Kong. Anyone want to guess where the respective photos were taken?

Bob
HIpaipo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bouncing (skipping) while riding waves is not only limited to bouyant boards, my wood "Bullet" paipo (3/4 in. thick), as well as my HPD SR (don't know exactly how thick it is, but it is thinner than my wood paipo) model skips and bounces when I ride waves as well. I think the cause of skipping is going really fast on choppy waves, much like a car going over a speed bump at high speed.This past weekend, I could have sworn I got about a half a foot or so above the water after hitting a "bump" of water on a 6 foot wave.
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:17 am    Post subject: Re: bisect board -ride report Reply with quote

bgreen wrote:
I rode the board in everything from less than knee high to 6-8' waves. In weaker waves the board planed better than the original. In the biggest waves I surfed, the buoyancy made the board skip a little like a stone thrown on a lake - the board was going really fast. There wasn't a loss of control but rather a small bounce.

I asked John Galera about this and he said he'd found the same thing, the less buoyant boards sit a bit lower in the water and you don't get the bounce.

To see a sample of the waves it was test-piloted in, see:
http://s516.photobucket.com/albums/u327/bgreenbgreen/Europe09/

I travelled to Scotland, France, Italy with detours to Spain and Hong Kong. Anyone want to guess where the respective photos were taken?

Bob

Those were some large detours! Waves pictured looked like some smokers - I particularly liked the last one with the waves lining up at what looked to be a left point break.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bgreen

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rod,

I sent a couple of pms - the mechanism photos should be uploaded.

The left was a beachbreak in a bay. This was my biggest day in Scotland. Nice wave & setup but frustratingly small most days. The weather was so fine and windless.

The first two photos were on my last day in France. I had only an hour to surf as we had a 10.45 plane. I would have really liked another hour as it was a tricky spot to surf. These waves were the highlight of my trip. Spain was only 10 km away so it was a minor detour and Hong Kong was half-way home.

Italy was the real surprise - dead flat one day and booming the next. Very different and difficult waves to surf. A real treat though.

I'll save the bisect for travel - next likely trip is two days in our deep south. Never surfed in South Oz so I'm looking forward to this.

Bob
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: