rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

paipo basics

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bgreen

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 6:00 am    Post subject: paipo basics Reply with quote

Hello all,

I've never seen a paipo board and there is no real history of paipo boards being used in Australia that I know of. So you you can see I know next to nothing about paipo boards.

Due to a back problem I have been looking for alternative wave riding approaches when my back is crook. I don't like the flex in boogie boards and came across a description of paipo boards and it aroused my curiousity. I usually ride a 7'2'' short board.

I believe paipo boards are more rigid than boogie boards, are fast and paddle onto waves well. I also gather there are no fins and therefore they rely on edge control. I was interested in views on how they handle in hollow waves, and any other comments about riding paipo boards.

Any advice is appreciated,

Bob
doc
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: paipo basics Reply with quote

bgreen wrote:
Hello all,

I've never seen a paipo board and there is no real history of paipo boards being used in Australia that I know of. So you you can see I know next to nothing about paipo boards.

Due to a back problem I have been looking for alternative wave riding approaches when my back is crook. I don't like the flex in boogie boards and came across a description of paipo boards and it aroused my curiousity. I usually ride a 7'2'' short board.

I believe paipo boards are more rigid than boogie boards, are fast and paddle onto waves well. I also gather there are no fins and therefore they rely on edge control. I was interested in views on how they handle in hollow waves, and any other comments about riding paipo boards.

Any advice is appreciated,

Bob

Hi Bob;

Like my old philosophy professor used to say, that depends - people have made successful paipos with and without flex, with and without fins, of everything from simple plywood cutouts to carbon fiber composites.

Likewise, how big a board or how floaty it is kinda defines how easy it paddles into a wave...in broad terms, though it's very definitely one of those 'your mileage may vary' kind of things.

Two things that are definite, though: edge control is a major thing in successful paipo use and they work best on hollow, fast waves ( they don't usually work too well on slow mooshburgers) . The problem with using a paipo on a hollow wave is you can get so far back, nobody will be able to get a picture of ya unless they are aiming right down the barrel at ya.

For a history of paipos used in Australia, may I reccommend http://www.surfresearch.com.au/00000000p.html - quite a lot of history there

Have a look around here too, and the links in the Links section , you'll see a little of everything.

hope that's of use

doc..............
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 10:45 am    Post subject: Back Pain Reply with quote

I find that boards that float too well (hard or soft) hurt my lower back. I don't know if the problem is paddling in a hinged position, the waves breaking on me or both. Sometimes a spasm will hit my lower back when I'm just laying on a booger waiting for the next wave. I think people with back issues should tend toward less floaty boards, and compensate with webbed paddling gloves and high thrust swim fins. Or ride a floaty bellyboard long enough that your body doesn't hinge backwards too much. I need to try mat riding some day when my back hurts, to see if a day or two of mat riding allows my back to recover. Any of you try that?
gcs
Matt Master

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting questions. I know the arched optimal boogie board position is tough on your back, as is landing airs. From what I've seen (little) of mat surfers they specifically do not arch their backs, lay a lot flatter, and it looks like it would be way easier on the back than a boogie or a hard paipo, I'm looking forward to trying a mat to see if the aches are less after a long sesh!
bgreen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I had also thought about one of the new mats, but was more attracted to a paipo board that had the potential to handle more "like" a glass board.

Regarding the type of board - I made some enquiries with Paipo Hawaii Designs. My understanding is that their boards are finless, low bouyancy.

Will chase up the links doc suggested,

Bob
doc
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bob,

If I may suggest, there have been a few interesting discussions here, notably the recent one where John Galera was kind enough to spoon-feed me the step-by-step information on how to build one of the very high performance boards he's been building for some time http://rodndtube.com/paipo/forum/viewtopic.php?t=56. Optomised for the fast, hollow waves you'd like to use one in, doesn't require anything major in the way of power tools, goes like a sonofagun. There's also some on flex boards and so on.

If your back's giving you hell, then this might be some nice occupational therapy, on a tall work table so you don't have to do a lot of bending over.

hope that's of use

doc...........
Phantom
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 12:39 pm    Post subject: Like Wave Massage Reply with quote

Phantom endorses Solo Surf Mats. Wave textures transmit pleasure thru air bubble interface, makes Phantom feel frisky, warm and tingly all at same time. Even in 40 degree water!
John Galera

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:29 am    Post subject: Paipo Basics Reply with quote

Hey bgreen, I be happy to answer any questions you might have on making one of my boards. I normally don't make boards for sale, but I do have some of my older ones, I might part with. I found the boards are easier on the back than surfing, so long as you don't plan on doing rollos or 360's.
bgreen

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc,

Thanks. I looked up the posts you referred me to.

Sounds like the technique is bit more complicated than just shaping and glassing a blank (fixing up dings, which is the extent of my board making capabilities). John also sent me an e-mail so I will follow thiis up,

thanks again

Bob
bgreen

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Paipo Basics Reply with quote

John,

Thanks for your reply. It sounds like the boards you make are the product of lots of trial and error and not something an amateur like me would knock out.

I'm in Oz - what did you have in mind regarding one of your old boards -if you prefer to discuss this off-line (my e-mail address is:

bgreen@dyson.brisnet.org.au

Apparently the freight card can cost as much as a board, but I have a friend in the US who may be coming over here in August.

One other question - you mentioned the layback boadysurfing technique. Can you describe this some more? My bodysysurfing is limited to getting to shore after losing a board or getting pounded in shorebreaks

regards

Bob
John Galera

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 11:14 pm    Post subject: technique Reply with quote

Layback is a term that refers to your positioning on the face of the wave. As the wave gets steeper it tends to want to push you down. In bodysurfing if you lay your back aganist the face of the wave, while still keeping your legs and hips parrell to the face, it allows you to control the amount of downward drift. Anyone out there can explain it better than that. It's much easier to do than to describe. If you ride small waves, you will probably never have to develop the technique, as the waves get larger, it's do it or get pounded. I found it helps to extend your inboard arm aganist the wave face and than lay your back into the wave, it's a little easier and allows you to go faster. I'll email you off the forum.
bgreen

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 4:35 am    Post subject: re:technique Reply with quote

Thanks John,

You are right it is hard to visualise -though it is clear that the the layback is nothing like the old surfing maneouvre with the same name. Sounds like fun, as long as you don't get sucked up the face.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Bob
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 10:46 am    Post subject: Bodysurfing Reply with quote

John,
I don't think there are any members on this forum that would object to posts about bodysurfing. In fact, most probably don't want to be left out of the conversation. Particualry your converstations, because your boards are so similar to the human body. The curvature of the rails. The central channel between bodysurfers legs. Your paipos are like an exoskeleton. A bodyboard in the truest sense.
John Galera

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 9:35 pm    Post subject: Poobah Reply with quote

I never thought of it in that manner, but I like the analogy and the compliment. Mahalo!! bgreen I tried to send you an email but came back as undeliverable??
bgreen

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:42 am    Post subject: e-mail address for John Galera Reply with quote

John,

Sorry about the hassle. The address is correct, but having said that I'm having problems with my computer - some major problem???

You could also try: thcstudy@yahoo.com (note it is thcstudy NOT thestudy).

regards

Bob
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: