rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Won the El Paipo

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> For Sale, Wanted or Trade
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Birdie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 4:47 pm    Post subject: Won the El Paipo Reply with quote

It's 4' 6" and 21" or 22" wide...

Will make a nice Paipo!

They said it is a kneeboard, but, it looks more like a Paipo to me.

Will bring to Paipoalooza.

Need to get the nose restored...bad patch on it...

Birdie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More pictures....

Any idea what model this is?

See how it tapers down to the tail section?

Looks more Paipo than kneeboard in that regard and the size...

They are giving me a fin to go with it, but, what size do you think would go best? For point break trimming along surf? Fins Unlimited box. What all types fit in them?

Birdie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Birdie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doc
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, that's a kneeboard all right, outline shape and rails not a whole lot different than a 5' x 19" G&S kneeboard I still have from about the same era. Bear in mind that for then, 5' was a long kneeboard and 4'6" was pretty much average.

If that's a Fins Unlimited box, I'd go with something not especially large, say a 6-7 inch fin...what FU sells as their 6.75" Cover Shot would work pretty good( http://www.finsunlimited.com/fins/kd_cover.html) , or as small a flexy fin as you can get for it.

With those nice hard rails you don't need a lot of fin, the rails wil do the wall holding just fine without it.

What do I have in mine? It looks a lot like

cut down from a clear blue lexan Greenough stage IV for the old style short box two screw Fins Unlimited box, as later found on Windsurfer brand windsurfers. . Much the same as the one above.
Birdie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was actually thinking of seeing if I could get one of those "pro teck" flexible soft edged fins.......dunno if they will fit in the box though....will take it down to ZJ's and see...for prone riding it, that might just be the ticket.

I'm not a fan of fin-in-thigh syndrome, and I think those flexy soft edged fins would be a great addition to bellyboards and other proneriding craft.

http://www.surfcohawaii.com/fins.htm
Birdie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see what you mean, and I think I'll just by pass anything that looks like...

doc
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah, yeah, though the old Greenough stage III flexies with that approximate shape worked ok in the hard railed boards.

Prolly an old school, ain't gonna get me on a foamie attitude on my part, but I wouldn't use a soft edged fin myself....but they do make 'em to fit 'standard boxes' which is what the FU box has become known as. They make 'em to fit anything, though. http://laws.lp.findlaw.com/fed/001356.html will tell you howcome they do. Amazing, what ya stumble across when looking around.

They don't give 'em away though.

Funny, I've been surfing what, 37 years, and never been finned. Have had a busted hand and a few boards in the face, but never had a fin cut.
Birdie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Swoop looks like it would hang out beyond the tail of the board!

But, huh, maybe not...

I am sure the GG flexies would be great

I think I have a 9.75 around here - eh, too big for this little one!

I find the idea of the Pro Teck's interesting in that they are flexible like dolphin and shark fins....and how that affects the ride. If I thought they may not be interesting to see how they jive with the water, I'd pass...but...I'm curious and....I've occassionally been finned when turning into position to launch...nothing major, all minor bumps but that's all it takes to be absolutely sure you never ever wanna get finned...

I'll try things out....

Thanks!
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 11:00 pm    Post subject: El Paipo Reply with quote

There was one of those green El Paipos on ebay a while back. Nearly mint. The seller claimed it was ridden once at Blacks years ago. It had a high minimum bid, and nobody bid on it. The fin was probably original. I can't remember if it was a glass fin or one of those fat lexan fins. Anybody snatch photos from that auction? I'll check to see if Barnacle Bob has any old Rainbow fins that go with that green color.
Birdie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poohbah,

I don't think it is metallic green, like that other board...that one was up around $500 and I don't think it sold. I have some pix of the logo from that board...this one actually has a more colorful logo as the sun is orange in it and the other had a clear outline of the sun!

I just can't tell if this one has the metallic flecks in it, but it looks like maybe no...

I am going to pick it up on saturday, will meet him on the beach...in Ventura....Pitas Point area.

The nose needs work, so, it isn't as mint as that other one...but...close.

Anyway, with the hard rails...it should do fine with a flexi fin and I'll prolly try a few...

The fin in my Newport Paipo might fit it...

Will prolly try it first, finless...prone.

Anyway, makes for a great wallmate for the Newport, what with it's lime green N....
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> For Sale, Wanted or Trade All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: