rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Candy Calhoun

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:41 pm    Post subject: Candy Calhoun Reply with quote

I just stumbled across something interesting on the web....

http://thecentralshaft.blogspot.com/2008/05/craft.html

Note: a photo of Candy riding a paipo in Peru appears in that Val Valentine article that I recently put up in another thread. Photo by Rich Harbour.

More research needed on Candy....
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice stuff.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bgreen

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah,

I posted on Swaylocks a list of names and received a private message from someone who spoke to Candy or her sister in the 1990s. He said she wasn't too interested in the past at that time.

There is a Candy Calhoun who was in two movies. Not sure if there is any paipo riding in them.

# Stop the Wave, I Want to Get Off (1965)
# Locked In! (1964)

I was told a surfshop owner at Morro Bay may know more.

Bob
Uncle Grumpy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's her in the middle, flanked by her sisters Robin and Marge.
Three hot surf chicks. Surf City cubed?

I really like Candy's board and am talking about having one made. I think Terry Martin is interested.
Thanks for that Poobah.

Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For new readers here on the forum, I want to link back to an older thread about the Dogtown bellyboards...similar handles.

http://www.rodndtube.com/paipo/forum/viewtopic.php?t=345&sid=66acfab67dc23bdf81b168c3cccd6880
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work on finding these articles, scanning them and posting. Are you buying up a collection of old magazines?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm working on a niche collection that has articles about bellyboards and paipos. There are aslo some articles about the Newport Wedge I need to check out. In the process I'm also collecting bodysurfing articles, because they will usually appear in the same magazine (or article.) You may have noticed that some of the ads describe the bellyboard as an aid to bodysurfing. The advertisements are important pieces of the puzzle, and I'm sure I'll have to get certain magazines just for an ad or two...even if the magazine doesn't have a bellyboarding article.
bgreen

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah,

In Dixon, P (1966). Men and Waves. A Treasury of Surfing, there is an section: 'Body Surfing' by Candy Calhoun. The reference is to the Surf Guide, August 1963

The 2 pages may be all there this to the article, but there could be more.

Bob
bgreen

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A correction -

In Uncle G's photo, Marge is identified as a sister of Candy & Robin. She was in fact their mother.

Candy was in Australia in the 1960s.

McGetrick, Patricia. (1966). 'Be in it, girls! says Candy. The Australian Women's Weekly, December 7, page 24.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/page/4902618

Bob
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bgreen wrote:
A correction -

In Uncle G's photo, Marge is identified as a sister of Candy & Robin. She was in fact their mother.

Candy was in Australia in the 1960s.

McGetrick, Patricia. (1966). 'Be in it, girls! says Candy. The Australian Women's Weekly, December 7, page 24.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/page/4902618

Bob

Bob sent me the link the other day and somehow I navigated through the funky interface of the trove.nla.gov.au interface.

Visit here for PDF, JPG and Just Text (in a PDF file) versions:
http://mypaipoboards.org/mags/magazines.shtml#Other_Magazines
See the article by "McGetrick, Patricia"
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: