rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Show us your LATEST PROJECTS ..boards/fins/whatever.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building
View previous topic :: View next topic  
surffoils

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:17 pm    Post subject: Show us your LATEST PROJECTS ..boards/fins/whatever. Reply with quote

Ive noticed we all seem to have a new project every now and then so maybe we could put them into the same thread?

Hers a link to my latest offering.

http://photobucket.com/4EP_Only

mrmike

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all you have to do to post a pic is click on the( img ) at the bottom of your photobucket pic press copy in the EDIT tool bar at the top them in this web page press edit on the top tool bar then push paste and it will be on your post JUST LIKE THAT I hope that helps it took me sometime to figure it out MRMIKE Cool
surffoils

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks MrMike for the info, I figured out how to do it myself after 10 or more tries.
( No wonder the grandkids think Im dumb.)

This is what I worked out.>>> On photobucket theres a box with an IMG link under each pic, just click and drag it into the posting window. Done!
mrmike

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

only 10? how about 50 for me MRMIKE Embarassed
surffoils

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok Ok, I admit to maybe 30 tries.
And I'll have to write it down or I'll forget by tomorrow too !

Im just putting marine paint on my ply paipos, what sort of oil, wax, varnish are you putting on yours ?, it looks beautiful.

And heres one for the record book, theres a 2nd hand ply paipo on ebay at the moment for $1000Au/ $662 US, search paipo or Robs surf shop on Ebay.
Holey moley, is he joking or what ???
mrmike

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use minwax helmsman spar urethane about 5 to 6 coats. then when they get dull I polish with Howaeds beewax and oronge oil finish. that wood in that board was recycle wood that was going to the land fill this guy back east has a smal lumber mill that makes nice wood out of somebody discards he sell on Ebay. I payed only $4 a board and I used only 3 boards. MRMIKE Cool
surffoils

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrMike, do you find that the wax or the oil is slippery at any stage, maybe when it gets wet ?

Ive tried melting wax onto wood and using car polish too.
DO you use surf wax over the top as well ?
Sorry for all the Q's.

I did a test of 6 diferent oils and waxes at Swaylocks a while ago...
( search- "My attempt at an alaia." Page 2 )
mrmike

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no problem on the ? The beeswax and orange oil only last 2 to 3 surfs the urethane last for 3 to 4 years. only use the beeswax and orange oil over the urethane to make the bottom more slick as for the top I like to use clear grip traction I get it from www.northshoreinc.com they have lots of deck coverings I hate surf wax its gets all over everything the only thing I like about it is the smell I hang it in my car just for the smell. MRMIKE Cool
Thierry

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my latest project.
A friend lent me a power plane so I could thin it out a lot to make the board lighter and hopefully flexier. It is know 1" at the thickest point.
I varnish it with a urethane floor varnish. And I'll maybe do some drawing covered with varnish.

I usually use surf wax on my boards.

mrmike

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't you just love the power planer? can't live without mine MRMIKE Cool
Thierry

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in an apartment and I shaped this board on the balcony. I thought a power planer was too noisy to use on the balcony, and it is, but that's the only tool that allowed me to remove enough wood in a short amount of time. i only used it when I knew it wouldn't be too annoying for my neighbours.

I thought about buying a really cheap one at the DIY store as I don't/can't make many boards and I don't surf too often but those are made in China, must be very poor quality and won't last. I finally found someone who had a reasonnably good one. I wish I owned one but I don't need it that often.

Maybe it is easier to use a power planer on foam. Even with this tool I found it difficult to make a plane surface because of the veins and knots in the wood.
surffoils

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrMike, I dont understand why if Eurthane lasts for several years why would someone waste time doing wax or oil every 3/4 surfs??
Or is it all about environmental imapct ??

Surf wax does smell lur-ve-ly, the coconut, the way the smell takes your memory back decades in an instant...
Thierry, love the new board of yours, great shape, a good solid curve and volume, is it pine?
Pine always has great personality with the knots and rivers of growth lines, etc...
What sort of artwork are you planning ?
Have you seen EEF's artistic stuff on monsterboards.com ??
His stuff is basic but it conveys the message so clearly it doent need fancy fluff.

Thierry, I used to live in an apartment and shape full sized surfboards in the loungeroom every day.
But I did most of my work on the week days when most people were at work.

All in all, its possible to build a paipo almost anywhere I reckon, I read about a guy who use to shape and glass in the Fire Stairs of his unit block for an hour each night. :shock:
mrmike

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sell a lot of my boards so I would like them to last. I would like the new owner just to surf it not spend time oiling it. If the oil washes off after 2 to 3 surf and the eurthane last 3 to 4 years who is puting more harmful stuff in the environmental? I think it is a push. but that is just me. MRMIKE
mrmike

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thierry what are the dimentions of your new board I like the shape MRMIKE
Thierry

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MRmike, the dimensions are 43.7" X 21" X 1". The good thing with a thick plank is that you can give it some nose and tail rocker and really shape the rails.

Surffoils, I think I'll try and draw a polynesian tatoo style shark - or i'll do nothing at all.
Yes I know Eef's art work and I love it. I couldn't do such nice paintings.
I'll have to find a black marker wich ink is compatible with my water based varnish.
Eef, do use use urethane varnish over acrYlic paint ? Do you know the markers of the brand Posca.

My wife wouldn't like me to shape a board in the apartment. It makes too much dust. I don't want my family to breathe toxic dust, resin or varnish.

I thought about using the power planer in the large corridor before the cellars in the building where I live because it was closed and it might be less noisy. It wasn't convenient so I did it on the balcony. No one complained.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: