rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

California Paipoalooza
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Birdie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 11:57 am    Post subject: County Line Reply with quote

This is County Line.

It's across the street from "Neptunes Net" a fave with the sunday biker crowd....and just up from Heavens maybe a mile...County Line you can see from the PCH, Heavens is hidden. Both are Bodyboarding spots.

County Line is a right point break, but has A-Frames and lefts further down the beach. Plenty of room for everyone. Wave can be steep and fast at times...Parking along the PCH.

This is called County Line, but the real county line you can see drawn across the map at Heavens, and from the PCH above Heavens is the actual County Line marker sign. On the Heavens Pix, you can see where the real LA/Ventura line is as the pavement on the PCH is (laughing) of different ages and colours! At that place, some people park and walk down a steep trail....but now I am off subject about Heavens when this is The County Line post....

It just if you are driving by and see the Caltrans green "County Line" sign, that means, heavens is hidden down below, and the place everyone calls "County Line" is just up ahead.....about a mile.

County Line may be in the middle between San Diego and Santa Cruz....

http://www.californiacoastline.org/cgi-bin/image.cgi?image=3722&mode=big&lastmode=sequential&flags=0
Solo
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Traditional ground zero for serious paipo surfing in California: the Wedge.
Birdie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:25 pm    Post subject: Leo Carrillo Reply with quote

This is Leo Carrillo.

There is camping up in the canyon, and you can see at the far right, the entrance to the park (a left if you are headed north - non beach side of pch)

Place is booked solid with reservations in the summer. Probably has places avail in the spring, fall, winter.

There is a rock, the first one you see out in the water, as you head north from the south end....it's about the only launch spot in the bay, unless it is a good day...it is shallow rock reef - you can stand next the rock...can be a real pain to get waves if globbed on by longboarders, as it can be the only spot to launch and they start paddling further out...

But, you can get some fast peeling sometimes hollow rights that are very long on a good day....gets the most crowded in the summer.

http://www.californiacoastline.org/cgi-bin/image.cgi?image=8095&mode=sequential&flags=0
Birdie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solo wrote:
Traditional ground zero for serious paipo surfing in California: the Wedge.

I agree, but that is if you are into shorebreak. I know many are...

Myself, I've never been into shorebreak, and prefer long rights or big outside sets.

This is a classic wave at my homebreak, the same size at The Wedge would be gnarly...but...this is just a big mellow laid back clean face.....and a long ride

I think this wave will be awesome for mat riding.....too.

Nels
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://vagabondsurf.com/EmptyWaveGallery.html

This is the south side of County Line (the surf break). Obviously on a good September day.

Solo is right about the Wedge being gound zero for serious paipo boarding in California. About all I can say is it's close to the Studio Cafe, a legendary bar and perhaps even a restraunt if food is of interest. The parking situation, and subsequent traffic situation, near the Wedge makes this almost permanently out of my sphere of interest...and the traffic in the water is worse. But I want to keep my infirm mind open, so I'd go...if Solo drives Wink.

The Wedge may be ground zero, but the front edge of the shock wave has long since expanded outward. I'm also a bit ambivilent about the concept of "serious paipo boarding"...but I can hardly think with the phone ringing.
Solo
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree with you, Birdie. BTW, that`s such a beautiful wave!

And Nels... you`re absolutely right.

Just thought the Wedge was an obvious choice for discussion`s sake. It`s a historically unique chapter in regards to the outer limits of California shorebreak paipo board design and surfing.
Nels
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another bit of eye candy. Same day and same peak as the other photos in the url.

Birdie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solo wrote:
I totally agree with you, Birdie. BTW, that`s such a beautiful wave!

Greenough apparently used to Mat ride at my homebreak! I had no idea, but it figures as he'd love the wave.... He probably hit it during our winter swells or during the WSW hurricane fun from Baja...

It can be better than Malibu (surfrider) - you just have to know when to hit it.

Mid to low-tide. High tide only if the swell is big and it's not a big tidal swing.

Can look like a lake, high tide, and presto wave-o's at mid-low!

It's Sunset in Pacific Palisades.....

Totally diverse, party wave, fun cool mellow crowd

Price of admission...."Aloha"

Here's a recent overview

See that far outside set on the north end? Thats how far I swam out with the Paipo in January (which is when this was, I may have been in this pix) and no sooner than I finally got out in the line-up, uh huh, outside mackers rolled in....farther out than that set...took me 20 minutes to fully catch my breath after the mackers pounded by..I was too winded to dive very deep on them...there is a long shore current here that can be a real bear in the winter....you can get swept far south by it...it basically is where all the white foam is...and as you can see - plenty of that to get past...I swim out about in the middle of this picture, where the shoulder is going off on the wave before the outside one is...the outside wave is where we call the point, the 2nd wave, Dos Banos. The UDT's will help me here big time in the winter!)

http://www.sunsetsurf.com/

Birdie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Nels"]Another bit of eye candy. Same day and same peak as the other photos in the url.

Nels,

I love that shot! Classic County Line. Sunset is like that, too, but a little more laid back and rights. Often, if Sunset isn't working, County Line is. County Line got huge this winter....15 foot plus all day long....beautiful long peeling bomber rights...There is a channel in the middle of the bay...helps on the bigger days.

One winter, I was out past the line-up, on my BB, and was being lazy...then, I decided to come in abit...and as my right leg came up to start a kick, it wound up flat against the side or chest of a LARGE creature. It was stock still! Like as if my fin was flat against the chest of a stationary scuba diver....probably a Elephant Seal or Sea Lion...I went "uh oh, I'm in some thing elses territory and have made contact..." I didn't have any fear, but I did basically tip-toe away, apologizing the whole way! Truly a Whoopsy!......So, much later on we are driving down by Zuma and suddenly it sinks in and I go "I wonder what in the hell that was??" Could have been a grey whale, or a big shark, but...I think Sea Lion... They love to follow me around...

Anyway, County Line has it all going on and we would be an instant hit there...Heavens is better for bring loads of boards/mats/paipos and fins and stuff to share and try as you can park right at the beach....easy to get things in and out...County Line, you have to climb down a little....Dogs are OK at both on leashes....Heavens good for testing and sharing new things and County Line for catching waves...
Birdie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solo wrote:

Just thought the Wedge was an obvious choice for discussion`s sake. It`s a historically unique chapter in regards to the outer limits of California shorebreak paipo board design and surfing.

Nels, we can go to the Wedge when it going off with our tea mugs and cameras and Solo driving...to watch Dr. Greg Deets show us how it's done bodysurfing with the UDT's
kage
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never seen that California Coastline thing before, very interesting. I don't know any of the places you guys are suggesting down south though I have heard of them. Sounds very cool. I would vote for a not too massive wave (15' !! Shocked )however. Call me a wimp, call me a weenie, I'm just not that enthusiastic about breaking my head.
However, regarding sharks, Big Sur, Pigeon Point and Ano Nuevo; they must be pretty disoreinted sharks because Big Sur is about 200 miles south of me and Pigeon Point is about 45 miles north. Very Happy
Birdie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kage,

County Line, Heavens, Leo Carrillo and Sunset are both normally 1 - 3 or 2 - 4.

In late august - sept and in dec-jan we can get some big swells., tho.

The pix that Nels put up is pretty classic size and normally it is a bit smaller than that...

I'm not sure about Huntington...but, I know it's more polluted.

I think I have the park mixed up with one near Pigeon Point for Swaylocks...

What campsites/parks are the KSUSA and Swaylocks at???

Paul sent me some Hawaii Paipo Design stickeres today...cool!!!
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Birdie wrote:

What campsites/parks are the KSUSA and Swaylocks at???

Sand Dollar Beach is right across the highway from the Plaskett Creek campground. The beach cobbles and cliffs are green serpentine. Cool place. Even has some caves for the Poobah's sacred ceremonies. One of the caves is inside a sea stack. You can also scuba dive for jade. Stairway to the beach. Fun for the whole family.

http://www.parksman.com/BSM.html
Birdie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah ha! I think I got confused with a camp/surf/party gig The Mermen played at...which was up near Big Sur...

Thanks Poohbah, looks great.
John Mellor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 5:33 pm    Post subject: S.A. 2004... Reply with quote

Hello Everybody...

Have only recently (today) registered on this site. Plaskett Creek has been reserved for S.A. 2004 which will be September 17-20.

Last year (our first event), we filled early and this year is expected to fill faster. I for one, have NO PROBLEM with paipos, boogie boards, mats, kneeboards, etc. It's all good if you're having fun.

http://www.swaylocks.com/cgi-bin/discussion/index.cgi?read=59077
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: