rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PAIPO FOR ME!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wanna-learn-to-paipo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:57 pm    Post subject: PAIPO FOR ME! Reply with quote

Hey all. As my tell tale signature indicates, I'm a "bodyboarder with an open mind." I can airdrop and ride waves fine with a normal bodyboard, but the other day, I screwed on some plastic soft-board skegs to a bodyboard, and had an experience like none other. On this 46" boat of a bodyboard, once I had set the correct line with the skegs (keep in mind that I'm used to the very free, rail-based skegless bodyboard handling, so I was a bit new and un-used to this feeling) I was making tube sections and speeding at unfelt speeds. It was AMAZING! So, here's the deal:

I'm 6'2. I'm 260 lb on a good day. More on a bad day. Ha, ha. I'm built VERY wide, broad shoulders, wide hips, etc etc etc. There's a reason that I weigh so much; I look like a football player but never liked playing stick sports. I'm new to the concept of paipo design. But, I'm willing to learn.

Could anyone make some good board recommendations for me? I want to alternate between regular bodyboards and paipo boards. Paipo boards look like a hoot and a holler on fast, lined up waves. I don't care if people clown on me for my hard, skegged "bodyboard"--I wanna PAIPO!

Design ideas? I was thinking of taking a high-widepoint bodyboard, and mixing it with a pintail and a fish to make a paipo board that would rip.

Keep in mind that I want something long--50ish inches, but it has to float me. And I mean FLOAT. 2.75-3" thick would be the call probably. The skegs would compensate for the fact it would be so "floaty." I'm also thinking of a secondary, "BIG WAVE" paipo board, for days around 8', which would be a little bit longer, but have very thin rails--around 2".

Anyhow, fire away. This is all very hypothetical, I have no money right now (photography/fine arts student, you do the math...) but want to get design ideas together for the ultimate prone riding vehicle, so someday...someday...SOMEDAY...I can have my PAIPO!
PaipoJim
Director of CTU

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Floating sucks. Floating means getting pushed back towards shore when a big set breaks in front of you. FLOATING means you don't know how to friggin' swim. Think lean and mean, think getting outside like a body surfer, think diving UNDER the wave, think like a sea lion, think like an albatross.

Don't FLOAT.... ---groooooove--- (or DROWN).

Paipo boarding is an extension of bodysurfing rather than a degenerate form of board surfing. Think lean, think FAST, think becoming the wave, think:

wanna-learn-to-paipo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, sounds like another fun option...specs?

Thanks!
PaipoJim
Director of CTU

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wanna-learn-to-paipo wrote:

Personally, I would recommend starting here:

http://www.paipo.com/

Though perhaps from a "floater's perspective" even better yet:

http://vagabondsurf.com/SummerGallery5
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wanna-learn-to-paipo wrote:

Thanks!

Where do you live and ride?
wanna-learn-to-paipo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in the south bay (PV, Torrance, Redondo, Hermosa, Manhattan, El Porto) and ride mostly hollow beachbreaks (that like to close out a lot--ugh!) We have short, punchy rides for the most part. Really good sandbars appear from time to time after rains though, assuring epic rides. I don't usually ride PV though--only a few times a year when its blown out elsewhere.

A paipo with nuetral bouyancy sounds like fun, but I was looking more for something like the ultimate bellyboard. I saw a post of someone on a 1 7/8" thick, 54" paipo, and I was thinking that that was a pretty rad board. I would obviously wants specs closer to that of a bellyboard (just because 1 7/8" thick board WOULD NOT FLOAT ME!), and I WANT SKEGS!

Nuetral bouyancy is really cool, but I'm tired of riding undersized boards that don't float me, even if they provide really nice rides, and a true nuetral bouyancy board would be even worse than a low-bouyancy one! Anyhow, fire away. I guess I'm leaning more towards a souped-up, hardboard skegged bodyboard in the oversized range--about 50". I just want the "ride" & the "glide."

peace homeslice.
Solo
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaipoJim,

There are advantages to wave riding vehicles with higher buoyancy, just as there are benefits to those having neutral or negative buoyancy.

The issue of floatation is not limited to one extreme or the other... all or nothing. For many of us the answer has been buoyancy that is easily adjustable to suit the conditions.

If a surfer and surfcraft truly want to "become the wave"... then think flexible, soft yet firm, adaptable, supple and quick, constantly changing form to fit the curves and textures, flowing with the lines of energy, the paths of least resistance. Study the characteristics of the sea and the creatures who live there.

Less is more.
PaipoJim
Director of CTU

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solo wrote:
For many of us the answer has been buoyancy that is easily adjustable to suit the conditions.

OK Dale, you're talking me into buying another mat! Smile I've missed not having mine since I sold it last year. I'll probably order one when I sell either of my two bellyboards.
kage
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anytime someone mentions a HPD paipo ( the red guitar pick up above) I have to open my yap. Can't help it. It really is a good recommendation. You don't need an extra floater - you are a floater, and duckdiving, fuggedabahdit. Very Happy
Anyway. If you insist why don't you chug on over to the lamaroo site http://www.larryobrien.com/lamaroo.htm there is a ton of different boards, lots of design ideas. As far as boards go we be pretty diverse. You might also consider the mat option, you seem ... exuberrant? a quality many mat riders seem to have, IMHO. They float too.
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My boards are middle of the line for the paipo mix that you will see at the Poobah's site, conventional fiberglass/foam with removable fins (3). I favor very smalll sidebites with a center fin that can move forward/back using a conventional Fins Unlimited box, so the center fin has a wide range of size/shapes in addition to position. I currently use a 5" or 6" center fin.

My most recent board has been ridden in decent range of wave conditions and done very well. It has float, but not so much that I can't duck dive it. Compare the Green Disk V specs to the Big Ass Paipo specs (LxWxD):
http://www.rodndtube.com/paipo/Paipo-04GDV.html
http://www.larryobrien.com/bigass01.htm
The Big Ass was originally owned by me that was built too long, wide, thick by my Maryland area shaper - the first one - he was thinking more kneeboard than paipo. My subsequent boards are along the lines of the Green Disk V with only minor variations.

The Big Ass should float you well, way too much float for me (5'10, 200#). BTW, a standard 41-42" bodyboard has too much float for me compared to my paipo.

The current owner of the Big Ass Paipo would probably sell it - he is located in RI/Mass. Let me know if you are interested.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
wanna-learn-to-paipo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, thanks everyone! Currently, I'm just scrounging around in a wetsuit with a bunch of holes in it, I have yet to find the money to replace it, so I won't be buying any of these things soon. BUT--thanks for the many insightful replies. RODNTUBE--that paipo does indeed look cool, but I think the comment "shaper was thinking more kneeboard instead of paipo" speaks volumes about it. It looks way to big to be "performance" oriented. I want to go fast and be able to turn. OR--be able to go REALLY frickin fast and forget about turning (for the most part!) A mat or a "guitar" pick as the Hawai'in paipo design was called may be the call. Of course, that's when I can afford it. Not now, but I will dutifully save my pennies, and sometime, I will get a mat or HPD paipo! Someday, someday!

I love waxing philosphical about design, I'm always up for new ideas, so that's why I started this thread--it will serve as a "template creator" for when I get the money together!

Thanks guys. And if you guys have ANY more design comments, experiences with board types, or criticisms, please feel free to fill me in. I will check back very frequently!

--marc
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Believe me, the Big Ass will drive and turn. For several years I hauled it down to this GuidoPalooza we have at Hatteras every September and it was ridden by many. Just too much float for little ol' me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wanna-Learn,

I met a paipo rider down in Deep Baja during a 2003 summer trip with mtbarrels. He was from the Los Angelea area and rode Blair paipos, custom made for him.

Three Board Quiver:
http://rodndtube.com/paipo/pics/baja2003/BajaPaipoQuiver.JPG

Medium Length Board in the Quiver:
http://rodndtube.com/paipo/pics/baja2003/BajaPaipoQuiverMedium.JPG

Board Logo:
http://rodndtube.com/paipo/pics/baja2003/BajaPaipoQuiverLogo.JPG

http://surfingsports.com/JBlair.asp

The paipo owner's name is Kent Waters, South El Monte, CA. I may have some old contact info if you can't find him through normal means. In that case, PM me.
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wanna, you mentioned that you're a fine arts student. If you haven't seen them yet, then check out the boards from artist Gary Steinborn.
http://www.rodndtube.com/paipo/riders/Gary_Steinborn/GarySt.shtml

As for projects....gather the materials before you want or need them. Scrounge up an old windsurfer from someone's back yard. Maybe they'll pay you to take it away, and then you'll have money for glass and resin. Maybe you want to make something out of a combo of plywood and foam. So keep your eyes peeled and imagination wide open. The waves were phlatt this weekend. I got bored and made a handboard from a plastic Ikea chopping board. It only cost me $3.22 and some elbow grease. Surfcraft and the materials to make them are all around us. As I said before...gather the materials before you want or need them.
wanna-learn-to-paipo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE ROCKET BOOGIE! I just looked on that blair site and saw the rocket boogie...pretty interesting stuff. Thanks for the replies and keep them coming. And I hear ya dude about the "do it yourself," "surfcraft are all around us" deal--there's something to ride just about everywhere for cheap, but you have to be inventive. Till next time...marc
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: