rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The new UDT voit Duckfeet
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Birdie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I tend to frequent cobblestony reefs, which can produce all size of gnarly footpocket gremlins, the T2 tube, literally flushes anything out that gets into the FP in no time at all....just whooses right out. I love them for that, seriously. There is no drainhole on the bottom of the fin, everything comes in under the heel....which it can do with the U.D.T.'s, and walking backwards into the surf is an open invitation....

I'd like to see a navy seal training film where they put them on and off at the surface of the water...while swimming....

I'll prolly keep one pair unmodified and modify another but in the summer.

Off to the beach.
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I slipped on (that's an overstatement) my new jet black UDTs this afternoon, flopped around the living room for several minutes, and flexed them a bit. Slipping them on is a misnomer. The suckers were a tight fit for me and made for a very difficult entry. Maybe they will be easier when or after they are wet like my Viper V-5 Flex (Orange Dot) Model.

The UDTs seemed more stiff and rigid than expected. They are certainly long. The foot pocket is kinda rough it seems. But all this needs a water test. Maybe I'll give them a wet run in a pool tomorrow.

I bent and flexed them severly while wearing them, pressing the blade bothways. That seemed to loosen the flex some on the semi-stiff blade. Need to look at the Greenough blade cuts again - believe they were straight blade cuts. I may pattern mine after my Churchill Makapu's. That and create some T2 type draino cuts.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Birdie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I was making a modified version, for surf zone fun...

I would put a drain hole in like the T2's....

Coming from the middle of the front toe area, on the bottom of the fin, and like a small tunnel, down the center maybe 2", where the center ridge is...just make it wide and hollow - a tube. You could carry on with the center ridge/strake after it.

Anyway, they'll be the bomb for launching off of boats with....as is.

I wore the T2's today...I have a rythym with them that my muscles and brain are used to...and they are sooo soft in the foot pocket...they rate with Makapuu's that way....and since I am sore from a 3 hour session with the udt's yesterday, it was good to take it easy....

My arms are even sore today, so, not just feets and legs...it has been flat for too long!

Tomorrow, I may just do the H2O class at the pool....no fins at all.

81 F water....just to get myself in shape for the work week....and stretch everything....

Cold water is not the best way to break in new fins or muscles!
Birdie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 4:45 pm    Post subject: Break in tip Reply with quote

Ah ha!!!

I was showing the UDT's off to some of the lifeguards at the pool today, and we were checking out the flex - they are still stiff - so...I put one in front of me, and the tip against the wood guard shack and leaned/pushed into the fin, which made it bend/flex against the wall....then, I turned it over , did it again...a few times....

Excellent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Much more flexy now....

Do it only on a smooth surface, stucco wouldn't be kind to the rubber.
Tigerbeach

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:08 pm    Post subject: My best UDT story of many Reply with quote

The swell is breaking 8-10 feet at Waimaia; lifeguards are getting tourists out of the water, left and right. Clear, clean water is pounding, punctuated with the sound of bombs. The scene is surreal; beautiful magestic waves surrounded by pandemonium on shore. Guards are shouting, and running, and swimming.
My brother and I, in our 20's walk un-hindered to the waters edge and wait. In our hands are UDT fins(brown and blues.) As we watch and wait, a lifeguard, (local, of course. My bro and I are blond and blue eyed haoles.) "Hey, go out by churches Brah! Da kine rights, li'dat!"
And we did. The reputation of the UDT's proceded us to the North Shore.

I got my new ones from parsimony@earthlink.net.
They're in my truck now.
ASW
PaipoJim
Director of CTU

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: My best UDT story of many Reply with quote

Tigerbeach wrote:
My brother and I, in our 20's walk un-hindered to the waters edge and wait. In our hands are UDT fins(brown and blues.) As we watch and wait, a lifeguard, (local, of course. My bro and I are blond and blue eyed haoles.) "Hey, go out by churches Brah! Da kine rights, li'dat!"
And we did. The reputation of the UDT's proceded us to the North Shore.

Right on. I usually wear my XL (13-15) Churchill's in moderate size (5-10) surf since they have a larger surface area than the other Churchill's most people are familiar with, or even Vipers in what passes for "big" on the East Coast; but when the waves start approaching double-O and the rip is running at seven knots it's UDT's all the way.

The little guys and weak sisters complain about the weight of UDT's and how they can't pittypat kick them fast enough, and so they frequently "cut them down" to smaller size due to their own lack of leg strength. This misses the whole point about the fins which is the amount of water you can displace with them on each stroke.

I sure wish I had them with me the last time I bodysurfed Off-the-Wall and I'm damn sure glad I had them on back here after I popped up for this (out of focus) water shot.

Are we still allowed to get in the water when we are in our 50's?
-
kage
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang. I have exactly the same set of fins (except the vipers are V7's). But I just cut down my UDT's (last night!). Sad I Just couldn't get the kick out them. Am I a wimp? say it isn't so.
Here's my question, how do I figure out if it's the way I'm kicking or just leg strength. If I could change my kicking technique I would buy another pair and leave them uncut. From your "pittypat" comment I suspect you are a fan of a more major leg stroke, but clearly, even tough guys like you must take longer for a bigger stroke and sacrifice immediate speed for later speed. You are just that strong? I am sincerely a fan of going faster in the takeoff, I am regularly racing against big old floaty surfboards coming from way outside and scooping up my waves. And if it's taking time to go to the gym, I'll do that. But I am in the water 6 out of 7 days and even though the rest of my body has pretty much gone to pot my calves and legs are Arnoldesque. Well, maybe they're more Arnoldene...actually AARPy would be the best description being also in my 50's.
Technique advice?
PaipoJim
Director of CTU

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kage wrote:
Am I a wimp?

Nahhh, I was just having a little fun. I actually prefer smaller fins on the takeoff becuase you *can* kick them faster. The UDT's work well on takeoffs only on long period swells. Depending on the break I can sometimes get up to speed while the wave is still greenwater by swimming abit from the outside. Which gets to the point about them.

When surfing the points and coves up here in the fall and winter you spend a LOT of your time in the water swimming around. Twenty minute marathons getting outside through tons of churning whitewater are not uncommon. It's slow and steady when it comes to duck dives every 13 or 14 seconds, and sometimes you just get pushed back by a cleanup set no matter what.

In other situations we have some massive rips. Not only are they fast but they can be really wide. Side-shores and outside down-cost rips can be killer especially on an outgoing tide. Again, a continuous and powerful stroke can be just what is called for. At some spots going with the flow is the right tactic but you can end up a quarter mile or more from shore. You then have to swim in and I'd rather have UDT's than Vipers when I'm out to sea.

I like to keep my ankle just a little stiffer than usual when swimming with the UDT's. It seems to employ my quads and glutes more. The UDT's are big and heavy but sometimes a steady kick is what you need to do for a couple hours just to get out or stay in position in the lineup.

Personally, I prefer a nice tropical reef break where the end of the ride puts you in a channel that drifts you right back towards the line-up with no kicking involved. Left-lefts on Kauai comes to mind...

Don't have too many of those breaks around here or if we do the are real short bombs back towards the cliff at breaks that go the other way. You're looking at one in the picture above. I wish Viper made a fin big enough to fit over my size 13's when I'm wearing wetsuit booties.
-
Tigerbeach

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:42 am    Post subject: UDT modification Reply with quote

So I have my "lifetime supply!" I bought my second pair from Dr. Deets!!

I used to teach scuba at Sea Sports in Laguna Beach in the early 80's.
I was Naui Instructor # 8319. I only used UDT's.(Along the way, I tested everything else on the market; but that's a different story.)

I have size 12 feet and couldn't wear boots inside super sized UDT's.
(My trusty brown and blues) What I did was to get some 1/4" wetsuit material, cut it to fit the upper part of the foot pocket, and glue it in with wetsuit glue. I folded/glued a remaining 2" flap over the top of the fin, covering the where the size is located. I was in the water 5-6 days a week; the rubber needed to be re-glued every 6 months or so.
This was a comfortable and warm option for year round chilly So Cal waters.
For me, cutting holes in the fins was asking for sand to pour in. As a Scuba diver, I'd walk in from the beach during a lull, fins in hand. Put my fins on quickly in chest deep water, and snorkel out to safe water. If I needed to empty sand from the fins, I'd do it before I descended. I could then dive the entire time with no sand.
I'd like to hear about other people's experience with these fins.
ASW
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: