rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best kind of wave for Paipo riding

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Birdie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 11:24 pm    Post subject: Best kind of wave for Paipo riding Reply with quote

What's your favorite type of wave and why?

A-Frames?

rockreef point breaks?

Fast-steep?

Slow laid back rollers?

Others....
doc
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

easier to illustrate than describe.

it's all about fast, having to get it right or there's consequences. No kooks on long tanks getting in the way, where it's no longer a social occasion but me vs. wave and that needs some concentration.
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coral reef point break, fast, steep (but that goes without saying). My margin of fun is usually in the 10' and under range although I prefer head-high plus. really picky!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nels
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Favorite type of wave:

Uncrowded, halfway warm, preferably a point.

Anybody seen one of those combos in the U.S. since 1994? Wink

Seriously...well, those comments were fairly serious actually...but seriously I like points. I don't ride them much any more due to circumstances beyond my control, but when I have surfing dreams they are usually points, and when I'm thinking it I realized a year or so ago that I'm usually using points of reference. I'm not at all sure that I've outgrown my teenage years riding point waves without leashes, which comes as quite a surprise given how long ago all that was. Something about the concept of trimming a single fin...flight...led me back into non-bodyboard prone territory in search of my Superman cape...
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like how our East Coast can be during the early Fall. Into the late fall you can actually get some very nice uncrowded waves, esp. by Calif standards, and ones that are not that cold -- just not as consistently big as Calif -- our Dec 11 swell was great, well over head and running in the low 50s in the Mid-Atlantic -- such a relief after a soooo crowded swell the week before in San Diego -- so good to be home!

P.S. Technically, they'll tell ya that Hawaii is USA Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
tumak
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here in central FL we have relatively consistent small surf. Occasionally, it gets epic. I ride almost anything, but what I personally dig are just sweet waves in the head-high range, nice shoulders, breaking hollow. I do, however, also like waves with white water that just rolls down from the top...nice walls with easy off-the-lips with lots of time and room for cutbacks. I'm not sure why it is, but on sweet lefts I like to drift up the face of a wave and just play with the lip...flirting with the crest. Doing this, and then re-entering, is just a fun feeling! And, just trimming out and flying down the line on a fast wave is awesome. As I'm just discovering new techniques, I find that grabbing the outside rail at the nose and just leaning into the wave is just a great move...perhaps the stoke equivqlent to trimming out and noseriding on a longboard. But doing this move and then watching the curl pitch out overhead is a unique paipo experience available often to paipo riders, but only at special moments for standing surfers.
What I don't like are waves that I call "whumpular." These are waves that just offer nothing but closeout dredging suicide in very shallow zones. There are places in the world, which have good form, that are famous for being like this, but here in central FL it's usually just not pleasant, at least for me. I like large waves, but I like 'em breaking with good form in normal depths of water, so I don't have to worry about waking up dead below the neck in some hospital, or even waking up dead, tailspinning into the Clear Light.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: