rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

John Galera at Jocko's
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 11:46 pm    Post subject: John Galera at Jocko's Reply with quote

I've posted a couple of pics of John riding Jocko's. Hopefully we'll get some more info on his boards soon along with some close up pics.

http://www.rodndtube.com/paipo/riders/John_Galera/John_Galera.shtml
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 10:47 am    Post subject: Jockos Reply with quote

Very Cool. Did he glue wetsuit rubber or somthing on the deck to aid in duck diving?
Phantom
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 11:40 am    Post subject: Galera Drops In! Reply with quote

Looks like John got a piece of deck pad from Bud.(Blast Kneeboards)Is that a handle he is grasping towards the nose? Thanks for posting the shot! Got more?
Phantom
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 2:01 pm    Post subject: Upon Further Study... Reply with quote

Looks like John wears webs too?
Phantom
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 2:05 pm    Post subject: Galera Reply with quote

Animal.
John Galera

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 6:08 pm    Post subject: Aloha Everyone-NOFIN Paipos! Reply with quote

I was a bit surprised when I saw how many fanatics around the world still riding. Since there has been so much interest I'll try and answer some of the questions and post a few pictures. My boards are made of special foam that FIberglass Hawaii makes. They are blank sheets of Surfboard grade foam, 2'X8'x24"x1/2", I cut them down to 56"x21", I place a double layer on the bottom to create the channel. I than place them in a press with a single layer of !0oz fiberglass to hold the shape, than I glass 2 10oz on bottom and 1 more 10 oz on top(UV activated Resin). It's a bit heavy duty, but I've never broken one in waves from 4-25 feet(hawaiian). I glass in a handle and always keep my inboard hand on the handle to guide it. The pads are regular bodyboard material used to cushion the impact of late takeoffs on your elbows and pelvic bones. I always wear a Gath visored helmet, after 2 serious concussions. Body Gloves paddling gloves, Xecel wetsuits and Duckfeet fins, round out this years fashion accessories. Maybe someone can tell me how to insert pictures!
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Aloha Everyone-NOFIN Paipos! Reply with quote

John Galera wrote:
Maybe someone can tell me how to insert pictures!

You need an URL for the website the pics are on. To link to the website you just add the address, e.g., just paste in the address:
http://www.rodndtube.com/paipo/riders/John_Galera/john_galera_onboard.jpg

To display the picture within the post you would use the above "IMG" button in one of two ways: (1) click the Img button, enter the url, and click the Img button again or (2) enter the url, highlight the url and click the Img button. Both ways "anchor" the URL and tells the program to display in inside the message. Word of warning: please reduce the image size to web viewing standards, i.e., 500 pixels wide or less and about 80k file size or smaller.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
doc
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 1:29 am    Post subject: Re: Aloha Everyone-NOFIN Paipos! Reply with quote

John Galera wrote:
I was a bit surprised when I saw how many fanatics around the world still riding. Since there has been so much interest I'll try and answer some of the questions and post a few pictures. My boards are made of special foam that FIberglass Hawaii makes. They are blank sheets of Surfboard grade foam, 2'X8'x24"x1/2", I cut them down to 56"x21", I place a double layer on the bottom to create the channel. I than place them in a press with a single layer of !0oz fiberglass to hold the shape, than I glass 2 10oz on bottom and 1 more 10 oz on top(UV activated Resin). It's a bit heavy duty, but I've never broken one in waves from 4-25 feet(hawaiian). I glass in a handle and always keep my inboard hand on the handle to guide it. The pads are regular bodyboard material used to cushion the impact of late takeoffs on your elbows and pelvic bones. I always wear a Gath visored helmet, after 2 serious concussions. Body Gloves paddling gloves, Xecel wetsuits and Duckfeet fins, round out this years fashion accessories. Maybe someone can tell me how to insert pictures!

You do nice work, sir.

I wasn't aware that you could still get sheets of surfboard/urethane foam, I had heard that Clark wasn't producing them and didn't know anybody else was.

Bodyboard material pads....very good idea. The foam they use was originally developed as a shock-absorbing foam, should work very well.

How do you like the visored helmet, compared to the regular garden variety Gath?

Do you find you change position, forward/back, on a wave or while catching it?

thanks
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 1:38 am    Post subject: Jockos Reply with quote

Rod just e-mailed me some photos of John's boards. I slapped them together on one page. Take a deep breath and click on

http://www.lamaroos.org/nofin.html

A while back on Swaylock's forum I posed a question about the use of end grain balsa core for paipos. Looks like John uses the stuff. Regular poly resin?
John Galera

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 1:54 am    Post subject: Doc Reply with quote

Fiberglass Hawaii is the only place that I could find this type of sheet foam,
I'm not sure who their supplier is. They have different thickness from 1/4 " to 1", I find that 1/2" works the best. I only need 35 pounds to place the rockers in the board. Rail to Rail rocker is 3" dead center, the kick is 4 1/2". I recently started removing the last twenty inches of foam from the channel, and replace it with pure fiberglass, this gives me a better grabbing channel about 1" deep. The balsa board is compromised of 1"X2"X1/2" basla squares, so the rocker posiibilities are endless. Only drawback is balsa is very heavy, but added weight helps in large, powerful waves. I am a poor glasser, so I use UV activated Resin and alot of sanding! Shapper Buddy Mccray has some really good 1" thick foam padding that I might try on my next board. I usually make new boards in the summer for the upcoming winter. I've been using the Gath helmet for the last 12 years, the visor comes in handy when trades or offshore winds are strong and has protected my face a few times from dropins.
John Galera

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 2:13 am    Post subject: Riding the Nofin Reply with quote

Doc, sorry I forgot to answer your last question. The lack of fins makes you utilize body surfing and boogieboarding techniques I've learned over the years. When turning (such as the above picture), you need to position your body to the rear over the deeper channel, in order to hold the high G turns, to accelerate move forward and hang on. When I get into the barrell, I normally utilize the body surfing layback move to hold my position on the face. Spinners, 360's, el rollos are all easily done. The biggest advantage I find with a 1/2" thick board, is the boards duck diving ability, 145# will hold the board 1 foot under water, and at 195 # I can easliy take the board to the bottom, away from the underwater impact even in 15 foot waves. My rule is Never abandon your board when caught inside. When wiping out or diving out of the wave, I always keep one hand on the board until the last second, guide it away from me and dive the other way.
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:21 am    Post subject: Jockos Reply with quote

I know what some of you guys might be thinking...when a paipo evolves to it's highest lifeform, it will look something like a Nuematic surf mat frozen in time.

John, could you tell us a little more about how you weight the board. Deckside up? Down? What sort of weights? Are you only glassing between the two layers of foam at this stage? UV resin kicks off between the foam sheets?
doc
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, John, much appreciated.

Naturally, answers beget more questions. No good deed goes unpunished.

Do you find the foam snaps back towards straight/flat to any extent after the first glassing?

Have you found that there's a little more flex in the newest boards, with no foam in that center channel?

Thanks, I was going to ask if the stuff came in any other thicknesses. Much easier for some projects I have in mind than the more easily found polystyrene foam, which has to be used with epoxy and is a pain to work with in a lot of ways. I wonder if they carry it at their mainland stores. Have to find out, I guess.

Another thing about that balsa board.... it's just plain pretty. Do you use something like, say, a sheet of ply or foam as a bendable form for the balsa segments before glassing?

I agree, so many boards are too buoyant. And it's nice to just be able to go 'Dive, dive, dive like a U-boat and get well out of the way of everything, the board acts like a diving plane. And you don't have to get far, far away from your board...much of the time it doesn't go very far anyhow.

The bodysurfing/boogieboarding techniques you mention - amazing, isn't it, how few bodysurfers/boogieboarders know and use them. And your explanation gave me a very good idea of how the finless, round bottom /channelled board works - you can dial in just as much or as little 'tracking' as you want.

I've heard good things about Buddy's foam pads, I have something similar on my kneeboards. Only thing is, it might be a bit less slippery than the boogie board material, so ease of shifting back and forward might change some.

Before I forget- the handle. It resembles ( in the pictures ) the kneeboard handles of a few years ago, some line well glassed in and some clear tubing over it?

I notice Fiberglass Supply has some balsa core sheets of a very convenient size..... http://www.fiberglasssupply.com/Product_Catalog/Core_Materials/core_materials.html - I may have myself a summer project. What do you like for shaping balsa, planes, sanders, etc?

Thanks again

doc........
John Galera

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 4:55 pm    Post subject: Poobah response Reply with quote

For the channel, I mate the two foam inserts with catalyst activated resin, it must cure throughly before you actually try to bend the board, or the two foam pieces will separate. I than place the completed foam into a mold. The mold bends from both rails and the nose kick. To hold the shape I glass with a single 10 oz cloth using catalyst activated resin, deckside up. The top part of the mold presses the foam
down 3 3/8" at the rear, if measured straight across from rail to rail, the normal rebound is 3/8". l leave it in the mold with 35#(york barbell weights) applied for 2-4 days. Once it hardens I than remove the back 20" of foam in the channel (I use mold release to make the removal clean and easy). Than I glass the bottom wrapping the rails(all UV activated resin from here out), I place another 10oz on the top, again wrapping the rails, and I final 7 1/2 or 10 oz again wrapping the rails on the bottom. I use 5/8" Nylon rope glassed in with skeg rope for the handle. Sand and Shot(air gun) the top coat with the UV activated resin. I've never weighed a board, so I'm not sure how much they weigh.
John Galera

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 5:29 pm    Post subject: Doc's resposne Reply with quote

The rebound after the first glassing is about 3/8-1/2" My molds compensate for the rebound.

I found that the 40oz of cloth, allows some flexibility in waves over 8'. If larger waves the flex is eally noticable and felt when making hard turns, the stored energy actually helps. The deeper channel also allows a better track.

The balsa actually comes in 4X2 foot lengths, with a fiberglass backing. I use a 1/4 foam sheet as the mold. I than layer the balsa on top of the foam mold. But it's so much work that I have only made three balsa boards. Balsa also is heavier and does not float as well as the foam, so it's a little extra work. But it performs outstanding, fast and solid espically on the larger waves. They are very nice to look at, that's why all the balsa boards are now on my wall. Shaping the balsa is a little fustrating, because it's so soft, I ended up sanding with carbide screen. Good thing about this process in either foam or balsa is there is a minimal about of shaping and sanding. I use to shape from a surfboard foam, but with the mold, it allows the shapes to be bent and not shaped in.

No clear tubing over the 1/2-5/8" Nylon rope, just glassed in with skep rope. Because their is hardly any pull, the handle and the leash are never stressed to a breaking point.

Great questions! I really have to think what I do, since I just make them automatically now, never really have to think about all the processes I've developed over the years.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: