rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New HPD impressions

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dksnap

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:05 pm    Post subject: New HPD impressions Reply with quote

I got my new HPD today, and am fully stoked! I got the SR, which is the one with a little flex. I know there are a handful of HPD aficionados on this board (count me as one now), so I thought I'd share my first impressions here. Very Happy

After picking up my new board from fedex, I ran home, grabbed my fins and springsuit, and headed straight to my home spot, north of the LW pier. It was our usual choppy 2-3 foot windslop shorebreak. I had it in mind that the neutral boyouncy would feel awkward for the first few sessions, and the board would probably take some getting used to. Surpringly, it felt totally natural, almost right off the bat. Easy as pie to duckdive, and just swimiming / kicking the board, which I thought would be strange, was a breeze. I alternated between kicking while holding the board with both hands bodyboard style, and holding it with one hand while doing side stroke.

Getting into waves was no problem either, another surprise. The board caught waves way easier than my bodyboard. And faster, well that goes with out saying, it is a paipo after all! I'm still kind of in awe, because I was expecting to kook it on my first few sessions, and the board felt so natural. You definately feel like you're more down in the wave than a bodyboard. This feeling was even more apparent when kneeriding. I did have an incident when I tried to get up dropknee, my knee banged the edge of the board. ouch! Gotta work on that. All in all, I love the new ride, and I can't wait to see what this board is capable of in good, glassy waves.
mrmike

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a HPD SR in my collection and I realy like mine. I use it on larger days. wait till you try it on a large steep wave It will blow you away it is the fastest ride you will ever have. It does't have to float to go fast MIKE Cool
kage
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I know there are a handful of HPD aficionados on this board

Very Happy
yay!
I find the sidestroke method is good for early takeoffs when I find I have a lot of ground (water that is) to cover. I am using it more and more.
eef

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stoke is radiating of this thread!! Keep it coming! Watershots anyone?

http://www.monsterboards.org

http://www.hugtheworld.net
dksnap

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No pics yet, but if we have a decent swell this weekend, I'll try to get some. Would love to see some others' pics, too. I haven't seen too many aside from Paul's site. And those are all of big Pipe and stuff, nothing like the waves I usually ride. Awesome, but hard to relate to. It would be great to see some pics of riding paipo on regular old beachbreak Very Happy

Btw, how do you all hold your hands when riding? The last 2 days I've played around with bodyboard style hand placement (inside hand on the nose, outside hand about 2/3 of the way down the rail), and also having both hands more toward the nose. Chris (Tumak) used to ride his thick, finned boards with one arm straight out in front Very Happy What hand placement(s) do you all like best?
PaipoJim
Director of CTU

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://rodndtube.com/paipo/forum/viewtopic.php?t=204

http://rodndtube.com/paipo/forum/viewtopic.php?t=201
mrmike

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to ride it with both hands on the nose MRMIKE Cool
kage
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a little odd, but we've been getting a lot of slow crumbly lips lately, some quite big but often real slow. And typically in slow guys I ride farther and farther up the nose and in the past 6 months or so, been riding with no hands because I am so far in front of the nose of the board. The nose hits me about at my sternum and my hands are free to get a few extra strokes (breaststroke style) or trail in the water, or wave at onlookers ( not really).
It feels like a very bodysurfing style and I steer kind of by stomach pressure. Very Happy
Usually my hands are bodyboard style though I do move them around a bit.
dksnap

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kage, very interesting style! I wouldn't have thought of riding that far forward. Sounds like bodysurfing but with way more speed. A lot of our breaks, esp in Central FL, have the slow, mushy outside section; sounds worth a try next time the conditions are like that!
PaipoJim
Director of CTU

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kage wrote:
This is a little odd, but we've been getting a lot of slow crumbly lips lately, some quite big but often real slow. And typically in slow guys I ride farther and farther up the nose and in the past 6 months or so, been riding with no hands because I am so far in front of the nose of the board. The nose hits me about at my sternum and my hands are free to get a few extra strokes (breaststroke style) or trail in the water, or wave at onlookers ( not really).
It feels like a very bodysurfing style and I steer kind of by stomach pressure. Very Happy
Usually my hands are bodyboard style though I do move them around a bit.

I get way up on the board out in the flats to get around sections of whitewater too or when I'm coming in and want to milk as much out of the shore break as possible and get to water shallow enough to stand in.

I also like to plane a bit with my shins and tops of my feet and fins when I'm way up on the board too. Riding an HPD is real close to bodysurfing in many ways.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: