rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Aloha

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ted

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:16 am    Post subject: Aloha Reply with quote

Aloha,

I am soon-to-be former bodyboarder making the transition to paipo riding. In my first few weeks of paipo riding I went over the falls pretty hard, sunk on takeoffs, pearled on dropins and generally hashed things up. Riding in small, slow surf seemed safe.

After a month on the paipo I went to Samoa to bodyboard and paipo. The conditions were much more challenging than at home. Here is a link to photos: http://samoapix.shutterfly.com/action/?a=9FaOWTVq1EA&notag=1
bgreen

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ted,

What sort of board are you riding in the photos?

Bob
dksnap

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Bob you took my question Laughing

Great pics, Ted! Thanks for sharing. Samoa is on my list of places to go to. Would love to know more info about your board such as dimensions, material, etc.

It's fun to switch off between the bodyboard and paipo. Some conditions suit paipo better, and vice versa. In hollow shorebreak I prefer the bodyboard, whereas the paipo seems to go better in down the line, walled up conditions. And kneeboarding fits somewhere in there too. It's always good to have multiple tools in the shed. Have fun!
ted

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,

It is one of Paul's "Paipo XL plus" boards with a double leash setup. Since I'd never ridden the board in fast, hollow surf, the experience was intimidating.

The wave shown was a fairly fast right reefbreak at small size. The take off was quick and demanded powerful kicking and early takeoff to avoid getting stuck high. The Paipo worked well on the smaller waves, but on bigger waves I had a hard time getting enough speed on the takeoff.

The bodyboard was better for takeoffs, bottom turns, paddling back out and buoyancy during hold downs.

The paipo was better for down the line speed and duck diving.

I'll post some more photos.

Ted
eef

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Ted,

welcome to the tribe!

The wave on a SMALL DAY? Good lord! Must have been scary....

We never see stuff like that around here. The only thing scary is how SMALL the waves get Very Happy

Eef

http://www.monsterboards.org

http://www.hugtheworld.net
bgreen

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ted,

I clearly remember my first attempt at riding paipo. You look like you did fine.

I also have a HPD but don't ride it too much (partly because I try to ride all my different boards and I have limited surfing time). I believe it requires more conditioning and if there is a sweep it is even harder to get waves. I also find it harder to get around an initial section. Having said that I don't think I have really tapped the boards potential at all. In one surf I got an incredible burst of speed which I have never managed to duplicate. There are others on the forum who ride HPD and swear by them. Having said all this I have had some memorable waves on the HPD.

I also ride a couple of John Galera's boards. I find I can take them out in any conditions I would ride, big or small. Even after four years or so I feel I have a lot to learn abut these boards and how to ride them.

Bob
ted

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eef,

Thanks for the welcome. That was a small wave. On the larger waves I got my butt worked. My next trip to Samoa will be during a smaller surf period. I have posted a full set of photos including some larger waves at http://picasaweb.google.com/tedhon.
mrmike

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pics ted. some heavy duity surf there MIKE Cool
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: