rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

movies with paipo riders
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bgreen

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:17 pm    Post subject: movies with paipo riders Reply with quote

After seeing the reference on the H20 site to a paipo ride in Bruce Brown's Surfing Hollow Days I was wondering what other movies might be worth watching. Recommendations anyone,

Bob
kage
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

breeek ....... ........... ........... breeek ........... ........... ............
breeeek. ............ ............ ............. ( sound of crickets in empty field at night) or choose any other really lonely no one there type sound. Very Happy
eef

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: movies with paipo riders Reply with quote

bgreen wrote:
After seeing the reference on the H20 site to a paipo ride in Bruce Brown's Surfing Hollow Days I was wondering what other movies might be worth watching. Recommendations anyone,

Bob

Hello Bob,

i came across this one at Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S58kY5jsLTI

its a thing about oldskool kneeboarding and has a nice bit about paipo-riding.

There's also this one about Tom wegeners alais (somewhere in the midle), also on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7T1Io7_Cwk

and there is the Hydrodynamica movie made by Richard Kenvin. There should be some paipo action in there as well. A preview can be found on:

www.hydrodynamica.com

greetings!

Eef

http://www.monsterboards.org

http://www.hugtheworld.net
bgreen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: movies with paipo riders Reply with quote

Hello Eef,

Thanks. I had seen the Wegener clip previously. Coincidentally I tried one out in very tiny surf near Noosa last week.

I enjoyed the Santa Cruz video - I can see why when they tried kneeling on paipo that they sought to add fins.

I checked the Hydrodynamica clip (which seemed to stop about 3/4 through) - there was some kneeboarding but no paipo. Do you think there will be soe in the finished film?

Thanks again

Bob
eef

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bob,

Kenvin posted some bits earlier on Youtube and there was some amazing paipo (even some stand-up) riding in it. Too bad he removed it.

So how did the alaia go? I.m building one (a 5.6) at the moment, can hardly wait till it's done!

greetings,

Eef

bgreen

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:18 am    Post subject: how did the alaia go? Reply with quote

Hello Eef,

In answer to your question: So how did the alaia go?

The one I rode was about 5' - the waves were tiny. Firstly, I would say i was surprised how well crafted it was. It certainly wasn't just like a shaped slab of wood.

It planed well. Shifting weight to either tail corner made turning surprisingly easy. It held into the wave face well - but likely other paipo I have ridden, it didn't seem to like whitewater. It was pretty narrow (less than 18" wide) so I found it a bit of work to kick-paddle around and in fat waves didn't get into the fuller waves easily. As I said the waves weere very small and this was a single & my first surf on one. I would like to try some juicier waves.

Bob
eef

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bob!

mine is more like the shaped slab of wood kind i'm afraid Very Happy i did some artwork on it, so hopefully that makes up for it. I'll post some pictures of it soon.

greetings,

Eef

Nels
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: movies with paipo riders Reply with quote

bgreen wrote:

Bob

There is some paipo riding in the first couple of minutes of MacGillivray/Freeman' "A Sunshine Sea", taken at the Waikiki Wall. The movie was from 1970/1971 but the footage is probably a bit older. Fun surf stoke movie...my personal favorite due to "where I was at" when I first saw it.

Nels
bgreen

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:58 am    Post subject: Re: movies with paipo riders Reply with quote

Nels,

Thanks. If there are 2 or 3 decent rides/ or decent sized waves it is probably worth it. From memory, is it worth buying the movie?

Bob
Nels
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Thanks. If there are 2 or 3 decent rides/ or decent sized waves it is probably worth it. From memory, is it worth buying the movie?

Well, that's a hard one to call. It was worth it to me because it happened to be the first real surf movie I ever saw and at a critical time in my development as a human being...seeing it again 35 years down the road provided stunning realizations for me that either that movie was a huge influence or it just fit with my cosmic thinking, or (most likely) some combination of them both. It was pre boogie, pre leash, smiling happy surfing...when surfing meant riding waves in any way, shape or form. There is mat surfing, bodysurfing, real traditional paipo surfing as well as the bulk of the show being what we now call "transition era" surfing. It ends (footage chronologically) with Lopez in ascendency at Pipeline.

Pure paipo content is small Waikiki Wall...can't for the life of me remember if they show any paipo on the north shore.

Nels
bgreen

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:16 pm    Post subject: movies with paipo riders Reply with quote

Nels,

Thanks. It looks like this movie isn't available in Australia at the moment, so I'll have to wait and see if anyone else has seen it.

Bob
Jon Davey

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:02 am    Post subject: alaia and the Guardian Reply with quote

For all the British members out there, yesterday's Guardian had a full page article about Tom Wegenner's alaia boards which are being imported by a surf shop in Devon. They have a 6 footer in stock at the moment. You'll just have to find 335 quid, or try your luck with a piece of marine ply and a jigsaw!
dksnap

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came across this cool clip the other day. Sorry if this has been posted on this site before (I searched the message board and didn't find it). This is Val Ching stand up riding his paipo at Waikiki Wall, 1963. Cool

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=6228857
PaipoJim
Director of CTU

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dksnap wrote:
This is Val Ching stand up riding his paipo at Waikiki Wall, 1963.

Pretty rad the way he casually misses the corner of the seawall by about 3mm! You can't beat the Hawaiians for style. Cool
bgreen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good to see some more footage . On the subject of diversity, tray surfing:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=0lBkN8XDTLY

Bob
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: