rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

webbed wetsuit gloves

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jon Davey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:09 pm    Post subject: webbed wetsuit gloves Reply with quote

I've just ordered a pair as they seem like a good idea. Anyone else experimented with them? If so what's the verdict?
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The semi-scientific verdict is "effective." You can read more of Terry Hendrick's analysis here in the interesting table of analysis on the relative thrust performance of various surf/swim fins (and web gloves). The methodology, as posted to AS, is posted here. By Alt.Surfing's "sdbchguy."
http://www.rodndtube.com/paipo/flippers/Swim-SurfFinTests.html
http://www.rodndtube.com/paipo/flippers/SwimFinsMethods.html

It is hard to find good web gloves these days -- the most commonly available type is by H20, but they are not the best for cool to cold water, something to bridge warm-water webbed paddling gloves to very cold water when my lobster claws come out. Personally, I don't care much for the H20 and others that I have seen, or bought and used, because of the poor materials, poor fit or lack of insulating qualities.

Sidebar: Who invented flippers and paddling gloves?
http://www.rodndtube.com/paipo/flippers/BenFranklinFlippers.shtml
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jon Davey

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:14 am    Post subject: webbed gloves Reply with quote

A value of 35 is pretty good for gloves alone. I assume that one would have to paddle with the fingers spread apart to maximize the webbed area, which may feel pretty unnatural when compared to the usual cupped hand position, or am I wrong in this supposition? On a related note has anyone tried a monofin for bodysurfing? I know than some people use a butterfly type stroke to catch a wave and one of these would seem to suit that style.
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: webbed gloves Reply with quote

Jon Davey wrote:
A value of 35 is pretty good for gloves alone. I assume that one would have to paddle with the fingers spread apart to maximize the webbed area, which may feel pretty unnatural when compared to the usual cupped hand position, or am I wrong in this supposition? On a related note has anyone tried a monofin for bodysurfing? I know than some people use a butterfly type stroke to catch a wave and one of these would seem to suit that style.

The good webbed paddling glove have a semi-flexible webbing between the finger slots, so the cupping comes natural and does not induce stress on the fingers. The not so good quality webbed gloves are stiff and cause all your fingers to take on the Vulcan "Live long and prosper" position.

As a side note, be careful to not overdue it with arm paddling with web gloves as you can come down with arm and shoulder stress... work in to it slowly. When using fins in addition to web gloves this isn't as big an issue as it is for shortboarders and longboarders.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jon Davey

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:33 pm    Post subject: gloves Reply with quote

...but surely you need to open the fingers to a certain extent, else there would be no advantage in having the webbing. Thanks for the over-use warning by the way.
r32

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the h20 webbing kind and tried them when they first came out in the 80's. They definitely work to move yourself faster, but at the same time, the webbing between fingers created so much resistance that my arms seemed to get tired faster.
Thierry

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an old pair of webbed gloves and I don't use them anymore.
The palm is made of neoprene but the upper side of the hand is made of lycra which doesn't protect from cold wind and water.

The neoprene is slippery on the rails of the board and I found it hard to hold it even during duckdives. if there is some kind of non slip material on the palm and fingers (like on diving gloves) that's a good thing.

It is true that you have to get used to the resistance. A friend of mine caught a tendinitis on one of his shoulders and had to rest for 3 weeks (and he was on holidays Crying or Very sad ) but he is a shortboarder and, like Rod said, with flippers on it may not be as stressful if you only paddle with power for short periods (take off)

Paddling with your fingers spread is not so un-natural. Do you paddle with your fingers stuck together ? A swimming instructor told me that it is more efficient to spread the fingers just a little bit and that seems to work ok for me when paddling.

Jon, the monofins I've seen are made for swimming and I think they've got a large and rigid (fibreglass) surface when you are surfing or washed by a wave. It must be tiring for the abs and back muscles to swim a long time with a monofin but if I ever find a short and flexible one I might be tempted to buy it.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: