rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Alternative Waveriding Methods
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Solo
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 4:18 pm    Post subject: Alternative Waveriding Methods Reply with quote

See Neal Miyake`s article...

"When it comes to "surfing," most people think of shortboarding, longboarding and maybe bodyboarding. However, there are many alternative methods of waveriding that enthusiasts throughout Hawaii participate in..." (www.hisurfadvisory.com)

http://www.aroundhawaii.com/leisure/reviews/neal_miyake/2004-02_awmethods.htm
tumak
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that, Solo. That's a cool article...seems to me that paipoboarding is experiencing somewhat of a resurgence, isn't it? I got into it about 2.5 years ago, when I walked into George Robinson's shop for a ding repair when I spied an old paipo he'd made for his dad leaning against the wall. I asked him to make me one as soon as he could! I'd always wanted to try it, starting in the early 60's...but I just never did it! I remember riding ordinary mats in the late 50s.
They're having competitions now at Point Panic, right? That doesn't matter to me, really, but I don't think it's going to go away if Galera kicks, is it? I was at a local beach today with a friend riding some head-high surf...afterwards we were talking about my transition from longboarding to paipoboarding. I told him that one of the things about paipoboarding that attracted me was the lack of ego...just the purist's surfing experience. He said, "I don't know...it [more egotism] could happen if more and more people start to do it." I replied, "I don't think that'll ever happen...it'll never get that popular."
With all the hoopla all over the place about "regular" surfing, with its vast economy and all it's little cliques and tribes, I just don't see a huge fad emerging, but I do think that there will continue to be a unique cadre of individualists like us who relate to it as a unique artform. I'm really glad to see the League of Lamaroos arise, and was really stoked when I saw Rod's site and the Pods For Primates thing...but I kinda hope the whole thing stays underground. What do you think?
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 11:09 pm    Post subject: Alternatives Reply with quote

I thought the abundant supply of Chinese-made skimboards could lead to a resurgence in paipo riding, but the cheap skimboards never seem to make it out to deeper water. Probably because they start to crack and delam long before the kid develops good water skills. And I've never seen the nicer skimboards being ridden like paipos either. Any of you ever see skimboards being taken outside and ridden prono? I think the skimboard and wakeboard manufacterers with vacuum setups are probably in the best position to produce stock paipos. Have you seen any of them dabble in paipos?
P.S. Not a vac bag model, but there was a 6'7" skimboard on ebay recently. The El Paipo Grande of skimboards.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2782410234&category=16265
Nels
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

6'7" skimboard? I assume Skip Engblom is the Skipperboy behind that. Why not? I've seen vid of the skimmers riding waves at the Wedge.

As for the foam vacbag glassed skimmers, I think there was one in a photo of Point Panic paipoboarders in the Honolulu paper some time back. Tex Haines at Victoria Skimboards actually had a small fin box glassed in his personal skimmer a couple of years ago for smaller days when skimming wasn't prime goal. That area is wide open.
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 10:55 am    Post subject: Meyer Skimmers Reply with quote

These Meyer skimboards made in Florida look like a good dual purpose skim/paipo.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3657785883&category=22710
doc
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Meyer Skimmers Reply with quote

Poobah wrote:
These Meyer skimboards made in Florida look like a good dual purpose skim/paipo.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3657785883&category=22710

Sold in florida, made somewhere on the pacific rim. That's just another guy with an inland tourist trap 'surf shop' cashing in.

Look, I sell skimboards, among other things. And I'm here to tell ya that as a paipo they leave a lot to be desired. Most of the foam/glass ones I've seen would snap on a decent wave just going down the wave. Skimboards don't need to be especially strong, they're supported by that thin layer of water on top of the sand.

Why spend perfectly good American dollars on such...ahem..... crappe'' when there's lots of alternatives? Why futz with sometrhing half-baked when there's many, many easier ways to go?

http://vagabondsurf.com/PaipoHome.html - lots of possibilities.

I may have to make a few from busted longboards this summer. Not only do I dearly love a busted longboard ( one less brick in the wall) , it seems like there's a pretty good opportunity there.
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 7:14 pm    Post subject: Meyer Skimboards Reply with quote

Okay,
perhaps the Meyer board isn't made in Florida. Or maybe it is. Their website doesn't specify that, but it does say: Meyer Skimboards has proven to be a pioneer in the skimboard industry since 1985, offering innovative and price concious products such as the hybrid board with uncrushable decks and undingable rails. Backed by a manufacturer's warranty and an ironclad commitment to you and your customers' satisfaction. Meyer Skimboard promises to be around for the best ride of your life.
The Meyer I referenced on ebay is rated for heavy riders. If a heavy rider can stand-up ride the thing on shorebreak faces, then surely it'd be strong enough for prone riding. I only chose it as an example of a skimboard thick enough (barely maybe) to take a fin box. A lot of skimboards aren't made very thick, because too much flotation subtracts from manueverability. I did some looking around and found that Maui skimboards are 1.5 inches. But I suspect that if they found our you put a fin box in one their channel bottoms, they'd probably make a special trip to your house to make you a woop ass sandwich.
http://www.mauiskimmers.com/intro.html
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 9:23 pm    Post subject: Belly Girl Reply with quote

Well anyway...I think the skimboard/paipo combo is a good deal for the money. I could probably buy two boards for what it costs these days to have a custom bellyboard hand shaped and glassed. And get my boards a half a year faster than the custom model. Perhaps Vic or Zap or someone will develop a hybrid to market as a dual purpose board to be ridden in either shallow or deep water. Alternatives are good.
Birdie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know if Skip Engblom "Skipperboy" will glass - do artwork for boards he doesn't shape??

He'd be ideal for my Cleary Quest Quad....
doc
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahmmm...maybe there's something I'm missing here. You got a questionably constructed ( mahohany plywood and eps foam) skimboard with a really kinda lousy shape for use as a paipo ( the old pintail in the groin problem) , odd rocker, no fin(s) and more.

Looking at what this place carries, it's all made-in-china cr@p. Including the dreaded 'liquid shredder' surfboards....and I have seen one up close and personal and they are most definitely garbage.

So, my question is, why bother? Make one yourself that can't help but be better.
Phantom
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 11:58 pm    Post subject: Skimming Outside The Box Reply with quote

I like the way Poobah looks at something, and considers the wave riding possibilities it may or may not have. A fresh way to see the world. But I love a busted longboard!
doc
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 12:55 am    Post subject: Re: Skimming Outside The Box Reply with quote

Phantom wrote:
I like the way Poobah looks at something, and considers the wave riding possibilities it may or may not have. A fresh way to see the world. But I love a busted longboard!

Yeah, though you come to a point where ya wonder 'is this trip necessary'. When making the nose of the proverbial busted longboard ( hurrah, one less!! Twisted Evil ) into a very good paipo indeed isn't all that hard.

I'm kind of a tool freak, you see. And when it comes down to it, I go with what Mister Natural sez.... 'Use the right tool for the job.

doc...........

though I want the part of the enigmatic kneeboarder in his flick. If we can get Devil Girl to do the female leadhttp://www.crumbmuseum.com/dgirl.html
Nels
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twisted Evil Doc, when you start making "Busted Longboard Paipos" this year you know you gotta make a "Devil Girl" model...probably sell out a whole prod run to the Blue Crush Generation.

Just no "chewing rope" jokes...unless you want to use that phrase for leashes...
Kneeridin
Matt Master

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Meyer Skimmers Reply with quote

http://vagabondsurf.com/PaipoHome.html - lots of possibilities.

Doc,
Freaky...the black & white ad for Newport Paipos on vagabondsurf.com, Vintage Paipo Ads - I have both boards in my quiver.
Chet
doc
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nels wrote:
Twisted Evil Doc, when you start making "Busted Longboard Paipos" this year you know you gotta make a "Devil Girl" model...probably sell out a whole prod run to the Blue Crush Generation.

Ah huh...with http://www.crumbmuseum.com/dgirl2.html as a deck graphic? That'll definitely make life interesting among the blue crusherettes. Evil or Very Mad

hmmm...got a new cartridge in my inkjet, coupla busted longboards in the loft and now all I need is a little rice paper..... actually kinda reminds me of one of my exes. Who might be an interesting test pilot, now that I think of it..... Shocked
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: