rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Passing on the stoke.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building
View previous topic :: View next topic  
surffoils

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:33 am    Post subject: Passing on the stoke. Reply with quote

surffoils

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

surffoils

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:21 pm    Post subject: Next step. Reply with quote

Cut the carbon into strips but I tape them first so that I get straight strips and so that the edges dont fray.

The I drape a layer of Saran Wrap/ Glad Wrap over the carbon and trim to just oversize. Resin poor technique keeps the drips and runs to a minimum and makes it a cleaner job.

Then tape over the carbon and wrap so that the carbon conforms to the shape of the rail. Even with thin 3mm ply like this its easy. Then it goes onto a flat surface with weight and a small block under the nose for the required lift. Leave to cure.

Any comments guys? SF.
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have been inclined to put a nose handle on the blunt-nose board at the top of the page. The nose handle has two advantages. A firmer grip when paddling with one arm, and a little insurance against pearling. Here's one I did on a mini paipo:

http://lamaroos.org/bobhotep.html
surffoils

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im just about to take that green board out for a surf now! Its the basis for the new board that Im making now. The green board is a ply base and its tapered towards the front so it has a bit of rocker if required. And the front is concave so your hand fits in.
Time to go.
SF

PS Your "Royal Egyptian Cubit Board" looks great. What a name ! Great finish on that board too, any tips??
eef

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Passing on the stoke. Reply with quote

After a series of emails we've selected a shape thats one I like as an all rounder but closer to requested dims.

Hello Surffoils!

sorry for asking, but what is the front-end on your paipos? The wide or the narrow end?

greetz,

Eef

http://www.monsterboards.org

http://www.hugtheworld.net
surffoils

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 6:11 pm    Post subject: Which end Reply with quote

Eef, the pointy end is the front. BTW, I admire the art you did on a board recently, it had a montser with several eyes and tattoos, very cool !
The board Im making at the moment is moving forward but Ive had shoulder surgery 4 days ago,( Im paying the price for being reckless with my body ! ) so things will take a few more months than planned.
Ive got the board shaped but Im planning on glassing and finishing as soon as i can !!
regards, surffoils.
eef

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Surffoils!

You mean the alaia style board i postes on swaylocks? Thanks a lot!

I just read the whole 'flipper' thread on swaylocks and that was very inspiring! There is al lot of fresh thinking in there!

keep up the good things and good luck with your shoulder!

Eef

http://www.monsterboards.org

http://www.hugtheworld.net
surffoils

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:32 pm    Post subject: Anyone have a spare shoulder? Reply with quote

Hi paipo fans, its 9 weeks after my shoulder surgery. Now I have the minimum strength to hold a Surform, aren't I a clever boy ??
To recap, I started a board for Bob Green, (bgreen) , stopped during surgery and rehab and now I'm on the path to completing the board...

To hold a shaping tool again has revived a feeling of connection with the sea, yee-haa !!!!
The closest I've been for the past 9 weeks was hydro-therapy and while the rest of the rehab group weren't too keen on getting into the pool, I was leaping around, just glad to have that watery feeling again. You know what I mean !
Sounds trippy, but its a joy just to be immersed in any water.

Anyhoo, any suggestions of construction techniques are most welcome but I had been a Compsand convert for a while so hang on and check out a few tricks I know that might be a bit of fun to watch.

Best wishes to you all, Brett.
[/img]
bgreen

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: Passing on the stoke /spare shoulder Reply with quote

Hello Brett,

I had not heard of compsand until recently. From the avatar next to my e-mail you will see that I have now acquired another paipo (a Wegener alaia board). I surfed it twice on Sunday when I picked it up). Each of my boards (somehow I now have 4 paipo) are ideally suited to certain conditions. My favourite remains the paipo from John Galera, however, just to be sure I will keep riding them all (sometimes one after the other).

By all means work on the board if it is good for the rehab, but there
is no rush. It is good the widest point is where it is, as I can experience first hand possible effects of boards with different wide points (the HPD and alaia have wide points at the opposite ends).

regards

Bob
surffoils

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bob, gee its good to have something to contribute again.
Compsand is the way to go, especially with paipos because its so compact. www.compsand.com has many alternate construction techniques that result in lighter, stronger boards. Compsand just means 'composite sandwich' so theres no hard rules to follow, just do something different.
Can you tell us why the Galera board is the best ? Is it the channel or the construction?
The Alaia looks sweet.
Ive got a theory that the wide point controls where the fastest riding position is on a board. But I dunno if its worth explaining.
The WP on the board I'm making is about 12 " from the tail, does it look like that or not?

At least you can see your board is moving forward now !!

Its good to be back in the fold....Brett.
bgreen

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Passing on the stoke /spare shoulder Reply with quote

Brett,

Why I think the JG board is the best - a personal choice. If I had to pick one board for any type of surf, regardless of size this would be it. Clean or choppy conditions, easiest to paddle but duckdives well.

As to what makes it ride the best - a tougher question. The JG board has quite parallel rails so doesn't have a notable wide point as such, the channels and rocker are vital. The second board has the foam removed so has some flex/weight in the tail. I would like to learn a bit more about how to convey board dimensions or use a computer to recreate a board to more effectively communicate different designs.

I will repeat, that this is a personal choice and others will have quite different and valid choices.

Bob
bgreen

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Passing on the stoke /spare shoulder Reply with quote

Bret,

An afterthought. I also prefer less flex - so people who like very thin, flexy paipo would most likely have a quite different preference to me.

Bob
tumak
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bgreen, you must be stoked about that Wegener paipo though; what's it like?

-tumak
bgreen

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:52 pm    Post subject: Passing on the stoke Reply with quote

Hello Tumak,

The TW board is very light - probably 3kg (compared to appx. 5kg for the HPD/JG paipo - I bought a set of scales to weigh the boards then realised you can't see the weight when a board is on the scales so have to rig up some way to stand them up to weigh them), feels and looks beautiful with the wood grain.

It is too early to tell performance wise. I first rode it at tiny point waves at Noosa and it glided along relatively powerless waves well. In a chunky beachbreak it caught waves well, turned and showed a burst of speed like a HPD can give.

I met Tom one day and tried 4 or 5 of his boards - I ordered a thicker and wider model (the others were 17", mine 19"). I found his long board, too long (on the shorter board I found it easier to move around to control tail movement etc). The long board was fun to be able to paddle and get out he back faster.

They have a nice natural feel to them. I'm looking forward to trying it out in more serious waves.

Bob
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: