rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Passing on the stoke.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrmike

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BOB: I have over 10 paipos and also ride them all but my favorite is the one I take to the beach that day MIKE Cool [img][/img]
bgreen

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:20 am    Post subject: Re: Passing on the stoke Reply with quote

Mike,

I can't flaw your argument.

What is your take on the effect of where the wide point is located? The blue board (and boards 2 & 3 from the left end) have it further forward vs the guitar pick shape (and the board next to it) which have the wide point at the tail.

regards

Bob
surffoils

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:38 am    Post subject: Modern thoughts. Reply with quote

Bob, probably eaiser to do this with an e-mail but others might be curious...
the TW looks to have a bigger area than the PHD or the JG, so how does it weigh so much less ?
It looks like the PHD is ply with a neoprene deck piece and the JG is a foam/resin board, but isnt the TW solid wood ? Chambered?
Can you explain this for me please? I could be stupid for asking !
Mrmike , the board on the far right....sweeeeeeeeet. I have figured that rocker can be replaced with outline curve, that board looks like it has nose rocker but does it have a flattish rocker in the tail? Thanks.

Brett.

P.S. Ive thought of doing a compsand Alaia, 1/16" Balsa over Corecell, and it should come in ~1.5 kg, but it seems like a crime against design to redo history.
Any comments ??
bgreen

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: Passing oon the stoke / Modern thoughts Reply with quote

Brett,

The TW is made of a very light wood & it is solid. Thicker in the centre and thinner in the rails. Not sure on the centre thickness.

JG is resin over foam, but has a heavy glass job and the foam at the tail has been scooped out and replaced with multiple sheets of glass/resin. I have two JG boards & this one is a bit heavier than the one wiithout the resined area between the channels.

The HPD has some form of foam core but has a sold shell. Not sure if it epoxy - I may have been told and forgot. The similar weights may be an artefact of my poor measurement. I want to double check when I have a more reliable way to measure the weight.

I admit I was surprised that the latter two boards weighed similarl weights.

Bob
surffoils

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,
Solid?, solid wood? or just solid with a different core?
I'm not being difficult , just curious...

Balsa seems to be the lightest wood with Pawlonia (sp?) a close second. Is the TW board solid balsa ?, unlikely....
or maybe Paulownia ?

Very Happy Ive got enough on my own plate without figuring out how the experts do it !! Very Happy
Brett.
bgreen

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Passing on the stoke / Modern thoughts Reply with quote

Brett,

My understanding is that the wood is Paulownia and it is solid.

Regarding the HPD, I checked the HPD site and it says: "The basic board is made of fiberglass, with a foam core and polyester resin, but sometimes are made of carbon fiber and epoxies, which tend to be more expensive but incredibly hip".

Feel free to ask questions - can't guarantee I know the answers.

regards

Bob
mrmike

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion only, a board with a wider nose is easier to get going on smaller musher waves. The boards with wider tails bite in better on larger steaper waves. As far as history ofboards go it is fun to try the old ways. But if they had our modern ways don't you think they would have used them? I like the old but I like all the new materials. So keep up fowerd thinking ps: the board on the far right is a 54" x21"x 1" skim board with 3" rocker in the nose and 1/2" rocker in the tail with 2 small thursher fins MIKE Cool
eef

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone have a spare shoulder? Reply with quote

Hi Brett!!

The boards looking gooooood! Bob is going to be happy Very Happy

It looks pretty thick doesn't it? Loads of float?

I always envy the guys who can work with resin pretty well, because i can't Very Happy i decided to give it up complety now: partly because my workspace is too cold in winter so it doesn't cure properly, and partly because i love hacking paipo's out of scrapwood!

The don't float much, but i like the swimmy feeling. When the waves do break out a little further i use a wakeboard-vest wich gives me just anough float to rest a bit. Maybe it makes me a wuss, but i can't swim forever and don't like to drown. Maybe i should train more woohahahaha

keep up the good work brett!

http://www.monsterboards.org

http://www.hugtheworld.net
surffoils

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobs got the board now, its been a while because I left it in another part of Australia when I moved house.., but anyway hes got it and hopefully he will post some pics of him riding or something.
Regards to all.
bgreen

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brett,

I tried the board out today for the first time, in semi-clean short period 2 ' waves hitting an inside bank fairly hard. The board is fast, did some ok turns and it handled the steepish drops. It was either the conditions, me or the board but it was a bit hard getting into waves before they started to break. The best strategy seemed to be get under the lip and go late, relying on the board's speed. The bouyancy also made it a bit hard to duck-dive. and hang on to.

The first person who saw the board(a guy in the carpark), said: "I don't want to be rude, but that is a weird looking board. What is it?"

For anyone who wants to see photos of the board- see the first 3:
http://s516.photobucket.com/albums/u327/bgreenbgreen/

Brett, thanks for making the board. It will be fun finding out what it can do. Getting it out in a fast breaking point wave, with a peak in the take-off would, I reckon be ideal.

regards

bob
surffoils

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, good to hear it got wet. :D
I hope you have many great waves on it. :shock:
Sorry for the tardy delivery... :oops:
As for the takeoffs, Bob, with another bouyant one I have, I get the board almost vertical,( like in rodntubes avatar) pull the nose down and then the bouyancy of the board makes it spring back up and I use that as a 'launching' style to get into waves. Because Im just a touch lazy.
You probably already knew that but maybe someone else didnt know to try that with bouyant boards.
bgreen

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brett,

The spring board take-off you described used to be very popular - I don't see it done too often these days. I'll give it a go.

I am going to try to make two paulownia boards. For one of these I thought I'd try a longer version of the board you made. I was thinking of something around 5'. Do you have any suggestions about key dimensions to replicate your planshape on a larger scale? If I knew more about geometry, I could probably scale it from the board you made? Is there an easier method to create a longer board with the same planshape?

regards

Bob
surffoils

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, I think you are smarter than me so youd have a better idea how to scale it up.
Id just use a calculator.
B.
bgreen

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brett,

Don't know about being smarter than you. I'll think about the scaling option - another idea is a wooden version of the no-fin, perhaps without as much curve. Either way I think it will be something I can modify, if I don't like how it goes. I'll keep you posted,

regards

bob
bongoman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interested to hear how your project unfolds, Bob...keep us posted here.

I've been riding my Wegener alaia a lot the last couple of months. 2-3 times a week I've been getting out on it, mostly at Wategoes or Clarkes.

Seriously want to add another one to the quiver - would love a 4' model for prone in steeper conditions and a 6'6" "Finley" for prone and (maybe) stand up in small clean conditions...
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: