rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Paipo Shaper in Virginia Beach, Virginia USA
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:52 am    Post subject: New Paipo Shaper in Virginia Beach, Virginia USA Reply with quote

I've hooked up with a new paipo shaper on the East Coast USA, Austin Saunders of Austin Surfboards. Austin specializes in shaping classic longboards, but will custom shape boards of all types. His shop also does a fair amount of contract glassing and will do ding repairs and restorations.

While dropping off a couple of paipo boards for ding repairs a few months ago we started talking story about board building materials he uses, surf travel and more, along with his father, who mostly rides a bodyboard these days. So I asked him if he'd like to give a shot at shaping me a paipo, basically cloning my current board as it is getting rather dinged and beat-up from travels and my general clumsiness. He jumped at the idea and said he'd probably build one for his father, too.

My jaw dropped yesterday when swinging by Austin's shop to pick up my board. On the various shaping/glassing racks were 5 additional paipos! He not only built one for his Dad and himself, but one for his glasser. And, another customer in for some unrelated board work saw these boards, mentioned he had a couple of blanks and could Austin build him a couple.

No camera on-hand so I shot a pic with my cell phone cam. Austin tells me he take pictures and post them on his web site. I shot a couple of quick pics of my new board last night that you can find here:
http://www.rodndtube.com/paipo/Paipo-07ODVII.shtml

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nels
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It shouldn't go without saying...absolutely beautiful!
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Austin just finished building a paipo for his dad, modeled after my new Orange Disk VII, but with a tad more thickness.

Small image here:

See larger image here:
http://www.rodndtube.com/paipo/Paipo-07ODVII.shtml#Daddy_Austins_Paipo
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MeatyBarrels

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man those are some really nice looking boards! what's the ballpark price to get one shaped?
tumak
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those look classically gorgeous, Rod.

There's also some movement down here in Melbourne; a man and his girlfriend saw my wife and me paipoboarding a few weeks back and are having our own Tom Neilson - a master shaper - shape two just like my blue 4'10" fish. Finally!... someone new to paipo with!

Isn't it exciting? Looks like a new direction for some Virginia Beach surfers... yea!
TSaunders

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:26 am    Post subject: Austin's New Paipo Reply with quote

Austin finished his personal Paipo. Quite a bit larger and it has a little different rail set up. Let us know what you think.
Troy

rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another nice Austin paipo!

It's hard to make out the dimensions so please post them with the pics if you can - thickness, max width, width of the pod (tail), length. It does seem a bit thicker. Most notable is the difference in the rail transition. Reminds me of some of the retro late-60s/70s type shapes.

Austin will probably need to swap out the side bites as those appear a bit humongous. Suggest popping in some Turbo Tunnel Side Bites (they're plastic so no super rugged on the reefs) or custom make some in the 1.75" to 2.5" range. Over 3.5" really start to catch and dig.

Is Rich the Glasser's board completed? Have you guys had a chance to go riding yet?
bgreen

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:14 pm    Post subject: Another Austin Paipo Reply with quote

It would be interesting to see the dimensions and I agree that it does have more than a passing resemblance to surfboard design from times gone by.

How do these boards ride?

Bob
TSaunders

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dims are 4'4" X 21 1/2 X 3. Since we are definitely neophytes at riding paipos I am sure we broke many of the rules of looking cool when you ride your paipo but I will give you our reaction. I first had to figure out how to ride mine. Wasn't quite sure how to approach and our first attempts were without kick fins. We kind of surfed it like a boogie board. I know most you probably cringed when I said that. I had to learn that to ride it properly you had to push the paipo underneath you to really see its affects both paipos worked really well. Once on top they flew down the waves. With kick fins we could get into the waves really early and skipped down the line. As Rod said we found out the Austin's paipo had too much fin so we just pulled the center fin and only used the side bytes. It worked a lot better. We worried that Austin's paipo rail contour might push water but he wanted to try something different. The transition was so sloped that it worked really well. It didn't push water at all. We traded off back and forth I think I actually liked Austin's paipo a little better than mine. It might just have been the thickness and length that I liked but we both push 300 lbs so I'm not really sure. I would love for someone that actually knows what they are doing to borrow our paipos for a while and tell us what you think. Let me know if anyone wants to take me up on the offer.
Sincerely,
Troy
Nels
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Since we are definitely neophytes at riding paipos I am sure we broke many of the rules of looking cool when you ride your paipo but I will give you our reaction. I first had to figure out how to ride mine

The first rule of looking cool when riding a paipo is this: Nobody ever looks "cool" riding a paipo!

The second rule is this: Ignore the first rule, as just by riding a paipo you are cool!

It probably only helps when you have such totally hot looking boards, too...

As to the "figuring out" aspect...they're like mats...a chance to discover and explore something new in the surfing world is priceless.

Nels
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dropped a friend's fish board off at Austin's shop for a delam repair and the first thing he did was haul be over to his van and show me his paipo. It goes everywhere with him. He has ridden it several times and is winging it designwise since paipo forms are all new to him and it has been years since he has ridden a bodyboard. He tells me there is NO comparison. He also mentioned having a grin after all his rides. There's a little paipo stoke goin' on down in VaBeach!

Come to find out, both he and his dad (Tsaunders) have been riding their boards without fins (flippers) and have thought maybe they needed larger, thicker, wider boards. Nyet, not yet. Try out some flippers and you'll see a big difference, ditto some paddling gloves.

We're hoping that Austin and company can get down to Hatteras on GuidoPalooza Sunday so we can try out their 3 slightly different paipos and the large collection of flippers that will be on hand that they can try.
tumak
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No question paipo is da kine. We're finally starting to get tropical swellage here in FL now, and yesterday late afternoon I went to the Canaveral Jetties. I was out there virtually alone dropping into peak after peak after peak. At one point I'd ridden in on about my 7000th wave of the afternoon, walking back out with 5' balsa under my arm and I said to the illusive self, "It doesn't get better than this!"

Saunders, regardless of how it looks, it is the way that is truly cool.
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picked up a ding repair on a buddies fish board and Austin mentioned that one of our clan from Mechanicsville, Va, stopped by his shop yesterday and talked some paipo. This sounds familiar, but I can't put my finger on who this might be. Any clues out there?
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rodndtube wrote:
Picked up a ding repair on a buddies fish board and Austin mentioned that one of our clan from Mechanicsville, Va, stopped by his shop yesterday and talked some paipo. This sounds familiar, but I can't put my finger on who this might be. Any clues out there?

Met Terry this past weekend in Sandbridge, Virginia Beach, VA, in the free surf section of the pier during the "Ride for a Cause" contest. His profile name on the forum is Fire08.
http://www.austinsurfboards.com/rideforacause/
http://www.walkamerica.org/rodrodgers
TSaunders

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple more paipo's from our factory:

Paipo for a forum member

No home yet.

Troy

http://www.austinsurfboards.com
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: