rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Swim Fin poll
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave
View previous topic :: View next topic  
r32

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redley Fins are my favorite!

They are lightweight, compact and comfortable. They have some nice drainholes too. To bad they stopped making them at the factory in Brazil. Export costs to America and other markets in combination with their low volume of sales was a deal breaker.

Still have one pair left though. Would love to create a mold for them and make a bunch more.

Overall however, I'd have to rate DaFin as being the most powerful and efficient fin on the market. Those things got me out of trouble in some really big NorCal surf before.

The Redley Lineup
global ernie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:10 am    Post subject: fin poll Reply with quote

Hi all,i like the tech 2 for comfort,i have used the us diver shredder11. less energy used and better thrust but i found them uncomfortable.they also got ripped off my foot once and it was only 2-3ft surf.i read some research by us navy re energy expenditure and fin size.their conclusion was that larger dive type flippers will exhaust you more quickly,on the surface they said smaller fins give more bang for your buck. i will give the shredders a few more tries as they certainly have potential. another problem is that they co-ordinate color wise with my red HPD, i have issues with uniforms.what do people use for keepers. i have been using "strings" for years and cant go past them.
cheers, global ernie
HIpaipo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use these Dakine fin savers.
Really comfortable and they work even if you have big legs, a problem I had with previous velcro strap fin savers that could barely fit around my shins/ankle area and would come off. The only complaint I have is that they are a nusiance to put on the fins.
http://www.fluidzone.com/pages/?pageID=557&wordsID=1552[url][/url]

http://www.turbosurfhawaii.com/component/page,shop.product_details/flypage,shop.flypage/product_id,75/category_id,16/manufacturer_id,0/option,com_virtuemart/Itemid,26/[url][/url]
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I swear by fin tethers... lose some flippers and it is no longer a nuisance!

My regular every day tethers are Block Deluxe Fin Savers, inexpenive and wide velcro about the ankle. Easy to remove in warm air/water conditions, but a little more difficult in cold water/air conditions when the fingers are numb. I emailed Jay Reale of e-Bodyboarding about his recommendation for tethers that can wrap around a 5mm wetsuit leg plus 4 to 7 mm of fin socks and would be easy to remove with numby fingers. He suggested the the Custom X - long wrap around velcro straps with fold over velcro and pull tabs to grab and pull the tethers off.

Visit the e-Bodyboarding site:
http://www.ebodyboarding.com/acess/Fin-Tethers

Bonus Recommendation: The Balin Lycra fin socks are great for warm water protection (prevents blistering on the ankles and toes).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DaGRizTX

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After the OBX trip I noticed my fins (Body Glove branded) were starting to show their age, so I'm going to give these a go:
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___72456
Review to come...
Sea-ya
So throw off the bowlines.
Sail away from the safe harbor.
Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover.

-Mark Twain
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaGRizTX wrote:
After the OBX trip I noticed my fins (Body Glove branded) were starting to show their age, so I'm going to give these a go:
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___72456
Review to come...
Sea-ya

Looking forward to your review. Those fins certainly appear to have many good design features.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mrmike

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some tech 2 and like them with 3mm booties. then I have the us divers sheedder 2 can only use them with 1mm booties. A little more power with the us divers sheedder 2 MRMIKE Cool
global ernie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:29 am    Post subject: reviving the fin poll Reply with quote

i have been using voit duckfeet for about 6 months now. they gave some of my toes a hard time for a while. last week i decided to get out the not so old tech 2's. super comfortable but it felt like i was kicking barefoot.
puurri

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thierry wrote:
Those are mine fins. I never found that bodyboard fins give me enough speed and acceleration. I should try Vipers but now I'm used to those ...
I got them from a generalist sport shop. They're light and tight around my feet so I can't wear boots.
On a big day I cut something like 1' on the part that pushes water (the foil ?) which is now 9" long.

Stratos Techni-subs (full foot) for me, drilled and fitted with woven cord and velcro strap retainers. A great deepwater takeoff fin with enough space for lightweight lycra/neoprene booties.

Real power and not for pussies!
Atlantasurfer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:14 pm    Post subject: suggestions? Reply with quote

I love the power of my Churchhills, but they rub a spot on the top of my foot (about an inch down from where the top of the foot meets the ankle). Does anyone else get gouged there? If so, what fin works for you?

i got some Neofins, but they really lack thrust.
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: suggestions? Reply with quote

Atlantasurfer wrote:
I love the power of my Churchhills, but they rub a spot on the top of my foot (about an inch down from where the top of the foot meets the ankle). Does anyone else get gouged there? If so, what fin works for you?

i got some Neofins, but they really lack thrust.

Vipers V5 Orange Dot and Yellow Dot (not the V7 Yellow Dot). All around a softer, more forgiving foot pocket although the V5 Yellow Dots gouged just below my outer ankle bones from long paddleouts in Costa Rica last Spring. Had to start using .5mm fin sox.
paiposurfer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:50 am    Post subject: fins Reply with quote

well, to add a few cents here, I've been doing this and diving since the sixties and found initially that the best fins back then for piapo or body surfing were either duck feet or , as one person wrote, dive fins.. back then, churchills were powerless and only good for beach break body surfing. that was the only thing around. duck feet are still good in terms of power and for long swims to far out breaks. I have a good collection of old and modern fins, also some really old UDT's . some of the new fins the blades are too small and involve a lot of thrashing it seems, although the younger stronger guys seem to do very well with them. the viper has what I think of as an adequate blade size, but most of the young guys cut them down. The viper seems very heavy and clunky to me and in this age of modern materials and design, I do not see why a good surfing fin need be other than light and strong.

I have some old redly that are great but a little heavy, I always wear fin socks no matter what kind of fin as comfort is everything. Old Manta Pro II's I lost one but that is a real good fin they don't make anymore. I currently use da'fin as it has a good size blade, flex tip and superior thrust . the foot pocket sucks and doesn't drain sand well, but with fins socks and a slightly larger size it's fine. it's poorly made in terms of fatiguing. Neverthless, I know at least on well known body surfer on north shore that uses them for same reason as I do.

I think there needs to be some design integration and start making the fins better quality as they used to be years ago. My old redly are excellent quality, just the blade is a little stiff and too short for my liking. Da fin is light. as one person said, that kind of fin, or a modified dive fin, will get you out of trouble if you have some good leg left on a big day.

When I was riding newport piapo" belly" boards and el piapo knee boards in late sixties and seventies I used a pair of cressi dive shoe fins with simple string keepers and outpaced everyone out in the water in terms of speed of paddle. george greenough used to use a special shoe fin with an attached full ankle length bootie (all one peice_ that he used to swear by, although I do not know what he uses now. ps
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: