rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oiled Paipos
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bongoman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to bump this thread up again as I've just got my hands on my first oiled board, a Wegener alaia. 5" 8' for prone riding, and it's a screamer.

And I want to look after it so am curious about oil finishes and saw this thread. I came across this product here in Australia: Organoil Garden Furniture Oil which is made of:

Quote:
Filtered, unmodified Tung Nut Oil, Citrus, Eucalypt and Pine Wood
oils/extracts with dissolved, refined Bees Wax, UV rated colourants in the form of dyes added to Red & Gold Enhancers to extend longevity of product under full sun..

Any thoughts on how this would go on a Paulownia board? Sounds similar to the recipe that Uncle Grumpy suggested.
Uncle Grumpy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like pretty good stuff. Give it a go.
How about a picture or two of your Wegener Alaia?
bongoman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
How about a picture or two of your Wegener Alaia?

Sure - I'll dig the camera out and get some pics up.

I've only had a couple of sessions on it in small waves. Still getting used to paddling it with the neutral buoyancy and find that I am kicking out the back rather than paddling so much, or at least keeping one arm extended along the board and paddling with the other free arm and kicking at the same time.

Easy to duck dive and easy to kick off a wave by pulling back through the face as it closes out.

And it takes off, it really zips along in waves I would never even think about going out on my kneeboard. Feels totally frictionless on the wave when maintaining a line.

Gonna take it out this morning in small, soft waves at Wategoes. George might even be out there on his mat! Smile
bgreen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bongoman,

Good to hear you are enjoying the alaia. If you are using it regularly you will notice how it dries out. If you are seeing any furry bits emerging this is also a sign of drying out.

Did you get a bottle of oil with your board?

I emailed a couple of tung suppliers in Oz, one never replied and the other put me on to a technical line which did not prove too helpful, so I gave up for the time being.

Depending on length, kicking will be easier. The board I have seen Tom paddle was about 8 foot. I gave this one a try and it was easy to paddle, unlike the 5 foot and under models.

Bob
bongoman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bob

I did find these Tung Oil suppliers http://www.thewoodworks.com.au/product/products/CONSUMABLE/OILS-RUBBING/C2890.html in Australia but am still tempted by the Organoil Garden Furniture Oil which is very natural and based on pure tung oil with citrus/eucalyptus driers and beeswax.

However Tom has since suggested not putting beeswax preparations on the bottom of the board as it may hinder the speed and recommended sticking to only oil there.

I rested the alaia today as I can see it needs some oil so went out on my 4GF mat instead at Wategoes in small waves.

I find the mat harder to surf than the alaia and struggle to get the mat going as well as the alaia. But I'm a mat novice and I understand that mat surfing takes some time to master Smile

--
Richard
bgreen

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Richard,

I have surfed my paipo a lot more than my mat while away. I am very novice on a mat as well. Getting the right waves makes a big difference and wategos is a good wave for a mat. With all these different surf craft it is fun picking one suited for different conditions - particulalry those others pass up.

Bob
bongoman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bgreen wrote:
Hello Richard,
With all these different surf craft it is fun picking one suited for different conditions - particulalry those others pass up.

I hear you Bob. That to me is why I am so excited about getting into paipo/mat surfing. For the last 10 years I've been a kneeboarder exclusively and a kneeboard really only sings when the waves have some punch in them. Which means you wait and wait, and then when the conditions are suitable, it is inevitably crowded as every shortboarder in town is out there.

I've got a couple of young kids as well which has limited my water time. So I basically haven't got out much the last few years as it is rare that my "time off" coincides with surfable waves.

But with the discovery of finless prone surfing, I can basically access all sorts of other surf that would never drive a kneeboard but is, basically, just as much fun (in a different way). Greenough talks about this aspect of mat-riding and Wegener as well re. prone alaia.

Maybe it's just a mid-life thing but there's plenty of stoke there and that's all that counts Smile
mrmike

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have made 3 alaias in the last mounth and sold 2 of them that a lot for me. I mainly make shorter boards but a lot of paipo rider like the longer alaia (5 to 6ft). in the summer in san diego ca. the waves are on the smallish size (2 to 4ft) the alaia work so nice on the smaller summer waves. what I tell new alaia riders just lay down and enjoy the ride don't worry just have fun MRMIKE Cool
bongoman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And how do your alaias paddle mrmike?

Is it a matter of kicking them out to the lineup? Or do they float the surfer OK enough to arm-paddle?
mrmike

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

most of my boards won't float a person over 100lb( about 1/2" thick) so you have to kick them out but no trouble getting under the waves. I also make then narrow (15 to 16" wide at the nose and 6 to 8" at the tail) MIKE Cool

bgreen

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard,

I would not put it down to mid life crisis. I put it down to the feeling after I have caught a wave or when I get out of the waves. It is stoke. I still ride a shortboard but often just get so many more waves prone and different types of waves. Its that idiot grin.

Bob
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: