rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oiled Paipos
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Goodwood

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Central Coast. Half Way between Sydney and Newcastle.
eef

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goodwood wrote:
Pure linseed oil is my choice.
Technique of application is important also.
Making a solid pad out of folded rag and applying in a circular
motion with decent pressure to really push the oil into the wood.
You can do this every day for several days. Then once a week or after every few surfs. You can still surf then without waiting to dry fully.
Works a treat.

Has any one ever used just Danish Oil to seal Balsa?

Hello Goodwood!

thanks for the advice, i'll try it like that next time!

greetings,

Eef

http://www.monsterboards.org

http://www.hugtheworld.net
surffoils

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goodwood wrote:
Central Coast. Half Way between Sydney and Newcastle.

Hi Goodwood, I'm in Manly on Sydneys Northern Beaches and Bgreen ( Bob) is in Qld. Welcome to the group mate !
Im in the throes of finishing a compsand paipo board for Bob and if you are ever in Sydney please give me a call because I have a heap of paipos you can test ride.
The missus and I can easily take a trip up there and pass on a few boards if you're interested??
Email me at BrettCMSmith@gmail.com and lets keep in touch.
I'm just stoked to know theres another paipo guy nearby !!!

Regards, Brett.
bgreen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Goodwood,

Good to hear someone else rides a paipo on the east coast. Do you post on sways by any chance?

I have good memories of Norah Head. My mate met his wife there and it was the closest thing I'd ever surfed to a left point (after living in the land of right points) at the time. That was the late 70s or so. Haven't been back for years.

What sort of boards are you riding. As you can see from avatar I have a variety of paipo. looking forward to trying Brett's compsand jet.

Bob
Goodwood

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You Guys are Great. So Stoked I found this Website!!!
For me it has been kind of a journey or evolution, to end up riding wood Paipo's.
And I love it, I love everything about it, shaping, the history and just being such a simple and effective way of riding waves. Plus the individual interpretations of a PAipo.
Been riding Bodyboards Predominately for 20 years in between time spent trying to find my niche, riding Matts, Logs, Bodysurfing. I never really felt comfortable on Fiberglass and anything with more than 1 fin.
Did a few stints in Hawaii, which I believe the History of the place must have sept into my subconscious. Just having a simple shaped piece of wood, that I have created, under my arm/belly has never felt so right I can't explain it.
Mr Wegener made me a 44" Paipo about a year ago and I was hooked, ridden 5'8" Alaia's and a 5'2". Shaped a 7 foot Alaia out of hoop pine recently for standup but was way to heavy to paddle with out fins, so cut it to a 5 foot Paipo, really knifey rails it goes unreal. Shaping a couple now out of Paulownia a 37" and a 4'5".
Have a couple of curves in Hoop Pine cut out ready to shape.
Just loving the journey.
+
That would be great to catch up Brett.
No don't post on swaylocks.
bgreen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goodwood,

I asked abut sways because there is a fellow who filmed some promos for Tom, who lives on the Central Coast. Obviously someone else. Sounds like you have caught a serious paipo bug.

I have a wooden paipo, but my all round favourite is a fibreglass board by John Galera. It's the yellow board in the avatar. Not obvious is the channel bottom and concave deck.

How does hoop pine compare weight wise with pawlonia? I really like the light feeling of Tom's boards. Over easter I lugged a 7 footer and the red HPD over sand and rocks for a km or 2 - nearly killed me on the way back. Next time I'll take the lighter alaia (about 3kg compared to the HPDs 5). Must say the mat was even better to take as a second craft - but I'm a real novice on a mat.

Look forward to seeing some pics of you in action if you have any. There are some serious reefs around you way that I reckon would be great for a paipo, but then just about any wave is good for paipo.

It would be interesting to hear how your designs may have deviated from Tom's or are they pretty similar - wide point forward, rolled bottom. Tom is working with Mike Stewart on a model - I'll be interested to see what this looks like.

Bob
mrmike

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BOB I make bags with strap for all my boads anybody with a sew machine can make one. I walk to my beach about 1/2 mile. with the HPD I need it I can't get my arm around it and it is my heavist board MIKE Cool
dksnap

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can relate to the difficulty and awkwardness of lugging the HPD down to the beach (and especially carrying back after getting swept by a strong sideshore current) Smile Good point Mike, I really need to make some type of bag or board sock with a strap for it.
bgreen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike & dksnap

In addition to the HPD I had a 7 foot board, fins etc. The last part of the trip was a hill climb after sand and boulders. But the surfing was fun.

Mike is it difficult to post some guide regarding your bag construction? I need something to light to take on a plane soon. I was thinking of cutting down one of those cloth board bags. They only cost about $40.
Bob
mrmike

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BOB what I do is get fleece at the yardage store about 1&1/2 yards for a HPD it is about 5$ to 7$ a yard this is good because it does not fray when you cut it. fold your fleece in half set your board on it and cut it about 1" larger all the way around pin it and sew it up except for the large end the board go in, use zipper or velcro to close it. then sew a 2" webbing strap on the finished bag no smaler strap than 2" because it will cut in to you. When you go on the airlines wrap board in bubble wrap put it in the bag and go. A real cheep way to go with you board. What we do to our boards I don't think the airlines can do more harm. mike Cool

kage
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought a nice paipo bag might be made from an old sleeping bag cut down short. Will try it sooner or later.
Carry the HPD under arm, nose pointing back padded side out.
bgreen

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

Thanks. I'll have to check with my wife what fleece is. When an Aussie hears fleece we either think of sheep's wool or a conman.

Bringing the subject back to oiled paipos, I was thinking some of your latest boards could almost be ridden tail first (this is the basic HPD shape and I think I have seen some of your boards with the wide tail/narrow nose. What is your take on the wide point discussion - forward or to the rear?

regards

Bob
mrmike

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob think of a child blanket that what fleese is. the best thing about makeing paipos is you can see what works best. since paipos don't have a set shape like surfboards. what work best is hard to say, with the big end at the nose it work well on slow mushey wave you can get way over the nose and get your legs up on the board and you can turn just by thinking about it. with the big end at the tail it work better on larger steep fast wave the large end bites into the wave but is harder to turn. that what work for me. MIKE Cool

bgreen

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

Thanks. I ended up getting a towelling cover for under $40, which I figured could double as a towel to cut down on weight.

Regarding your comments on the wide point - I recall seeing photos of paipo ridden at the wedge, which were like teardrops. I think Rod's site had some photos - as a general principle this suggests the wide point forward concept may be good for waves other than mush, though tail width modification probably is crucial.

Bob
ted

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walmart has fleece sleeping bags with a zipper that runs down the long side and across the bottom for $12. Overall dimensions are 32" by 78" . My wife cut one down to fit my HPD.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: