rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HPD Poll

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How many of you have a HPD
How does it ride where you are...
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
likes/dislikes?
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 0

Uncle Grumpy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:47 pm    Post subject: HPD Poll Reply with quote

How many of you have a HPD board?
Where do you surf it?
Why do you like /dislike the HPD?
bgreen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:48 pm    Post subject: How many of you have a HPD Reply with quote

Hello,

If HPD stands for Hawaii Paipo Design - I have one.

I have two paipo boards and the HPD is the newest and I am still very much in a learning phase with it. Some initial observations:

1. It is shorter than my other board so requires more effort to paddle
2. It duckdives under turbulence very well
3. on some waves I have obtained a significant burst of speed something I have not been able to routinely generate - so it has untapped potential
4.due to the thinness you feel 'stress' on your body more in chop or in turns
5. a tip I was given by another person on this list was to grab the rear outside rail on take-off & life- this resulted in much more successful take-offs
6. If you have a short arm span carrying it might be a challenge

Bob
kage
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won't comment on the poll except to say yes, "41" and I've never seen that lady before in my life.
As far as HPDs' are concerned I am definately an aficionado. I have had several, including the custom black one featured on the opening splash page of the site. I have been riding them very consistently for 6-7?+ years? I like the speed and the ability to hold a very high line on a steep wave. It's true you don't paddle real fast with them, my best experience is taking off right under the lip. On the other hand I can take incredibly steep drops and still bottom turn. As I gain experience with them I find my radically adjusting my position on the board (forward and back)allows me to squeeze more out of waves that I used to get. Taking off I have one hand on the board way in front of me and lay on one side while kicking to be as streamlined as i can. Duckdiving - getoutaheah, totally the best for that. And I put the little end under my arm and carry it backwards. And that's all I have to say about that. Surprised (enough enough!)
Uncle Grumpy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replys; I have been exchanging emails with Paul for a week or so. I know he has been at the game for a long time and his boards just LOOK like they'd work really well.
I believe I'm going to take the plunge and get one.
shorepound

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just want to second Kages comments. Been (happily) riding the standard HPD XL for the past 2-3 years in No. Calif and the North Shore. It's a huge advantage to be able to dive under the closeout sets that wash away the 'floaters'. Also helps when you need to sit inside to poach waves in a crowd. Oh yeah, the speed thing, too Wink. From my experience the board is also close to bulletproof, it has been ridden into/over rocks/coral/etc. with only minor chips and paint scars. No de-lam!

Be sure to talk with Paul about your conditions. One thing that would sometimes be nice is more flex. Haven't tried the SR model, but it sounds intriguing... Good luck whichever way you go, have to believe you'll be pleased...

Kage, is the black paipo you mentioned the mysterious HPD spoon? Or is it some other material (carbon fiber?). Again, very interested in compare/contrast versus the standard XL...

TC

OT: Kage, did you attend the recent SC mat/spoon gathering. Mark W (MOW) said there was an SC paipo rider there. I'll be back over the last week of Feb, please PM me if you're open to setting up a session. Have yet to see another HPD in the water...
tumak
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey shorepound, you know Mark? He's a good friend o' mine. He journeys up here to the Spacecoast occasionally when it gets good... or at least BIG. I brought him and Eric (a.k.a. kneeblaster, or swissa) to the East Coast Surfing Hall of Fame recently, and they gave talks on kneeboarding and spoon riding. It was a well-attended event, and they were super stoked!

Man O War's spoons are AWESOME. His new spoon, which he made with carbon fiber, is one amazing surfcraft.
kage
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ooh ah woo..uh Yeah I guess that was me but I only got to see those guys right when they were leaving. My stupid I mixed up dates. I have never been in the water with another HPD either I would totally like to get together with you. I'll send PM. I have the SR, I think it's worth it, I don't notice "flex"per se but it seems to handle better. I am notoriously dumb/oblivious when it comes to equipment though. Yep that's the HPD spoon be glad to let you give it a spin. Or anyone else out there I'd love to host a paipo gathering in Santa Cruz.
Uncle Grumpy! As much as I like the HPD ( alot) I think making your own is the heart and soul of this site, and pretty much paipos too.
shorepound

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tumak- Well, we're closest of friends (based on spending the one day in SC together). Actually, we got VERY close (see Swaylocks about 3/4 of the way down page 1: http://www.swaylocks.com/forum/gforum.cgi?post=302322;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;guest=8788160) Those kneelo fins sure are sharp! Seriously, your fortunate to have him around. Mark is a super guy and put a ton of effort into the SC gathering. So much stoke...

And you're right, Marks spoon is a piece of art... Unreal flex! We shared a wave at Moss that am (not shown), and it was soooo cool to see the spoon work it's magic (from a slightly safer distance)

Kage- Sounds excellent! I'll be in town the 21st-28th, with the 24th committed. So... maybe the 25th? Other days open for me, but not sure of your schedule...

Uncle Grumpy- Sorry for the thread tangents Embarassed I think Kage speaks truth with the 'build your own' observation, but not everyone is prepared to go that route, at least initially (some of us are also - well- clumsy, awkward and ill-suited toward practical work- there, I've said it). Pauls boards are a refined place to start your paipo journey.

OTOH was out near Pacifica last month and saw a guy with a homegrown belly board (approx 48" x 18") he'd made by Gorilla Gluing 3 redwood fence boards together. No glass, just Linseed oil, minimum rocker that I could see (in the water). Said he went home after every session and sanded/shaped it a little more...

TC
Nels
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think Kage speaks truth with the 'build your own' observation, but not everyone is prepared to go that route, at least initially (some of us are also - well- clumsy, awkward and ill-suited toward practical work- there, I've said it). Pauls boards are a refined place to start your paipo journey.

I would add the observation that homegrown and state of the art manufactured are not mutually exclusive...$20 USD can get you the materials to make your own fully functional paipo, but it won't have the durability and may not have the refined characterisitcs of an HPD...
Uncle Grumpy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little more info on myself.
After crossing the Pacific back and forth twice with the USN I worked as a rigger at AAA south in Nasty City for a year before being laid off..
After a couple years at college I ended up building scenery and props for movies, tv and theater. When I met my SWIMPAL I started working with her making art, and have been for almost 20 years.

I have a complete shop and if it's made of wood I can make it. I have made rudimentary paipos over the years, but never anything worth keeping. I also have a very good friend and neighbor who worked for Hobie many years ago and has incredible talents with composites; together we could easily recreate one of Paul's boards. However we are both self empoyed artists as well and know how it feels to have people "borrow" your ideas.
Paul's worked hard over the years perfecting the shape and construction and he knows what works.
I have some ideas for some heirloom quality wood boards I'd like to make but in the meantime I'll support Paul; who is pretty much the only guy out there making and supporting paipos full time.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: