rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Early La Jolla Paipo
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 5:26 pm    Post subject: Early La Jolla Paipo Reply with quote

Early La Jolla surf nazi rat fink special. 33 long x 17.5 wide x 0.25 inches thick. Finless. No longer politically correct in La Jolla.

Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 9:05 pm    Post subject: Date that board... Reply with quote

I'm waiting on some more information about this plywood paipo. It's a two owner board and the info is written down in a paper file somewhere at my friends house. In the meantime we can play another game of Date That Board...any of you Paipologists want to try to put a date on this board?
Nels
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

late 50's, early 60's...no later than 1964. Whut's the prize for closest guess?
doc
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, that sounds right. Depends on when Somebody's Idiot Kid Brother drew the Rat Fink RF and the swastika stuff on it compared to when the thing was made in the first place.
tumak
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember all that Rat Fink stuff goin' down around 1963, when I was about 10 years old. The swastika I can understand, but why it actually says "Germany" is kinda strange. That kid probably watched "Combat" on TV and was rooting for the Germans! I think the Nazi stuff was just for shock value, right? The Maltese Cross was also sported for the same effect, but partly because it was just a really cool design. Of course, the swastika is one of the holiest and most ancient symbols in the world, predating the Nazis by many thousands of years. Now, because of those buttheads, the symbol represents evil to almost everyone. Oh well...
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 11:03 pm    Post subject: No Prize Reply with quote

Nels wrote:

Sorry Nels,
no prize, just the admiration of your Paipologist peers. Sometimes on ebay the seller will insert additonal information while the auction is underway. I'll simulate that here by adding:

The black paint is different on the RF and the swastikas. And there are two small holes in the middle of the tail. They aren't close enough together to have been a fin attachment. Looks more like the board was nailed to a wall or post.
Birdie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't the early WindnSea gang into that? Dressing up as Nazi Germans and horsing around?? Mid-60's....63-64ish?? There's a TSJ that has pictures of them and the whole story....

Was probably the sign they used for the clubhouse Wink
doc
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: No Prize Reply with quote

Poobah wrote:
Nels wrote:

Sorry Nels,
no prize, just the admiration of your Paipologist peers. Sometimes on ebay the seller will insert additonal information while the auction is underway. I'll simulate that here by adding:

The black paint is different on the RF and the swastikas. And there are two small holes in the middle of the tail. They aren't close enough together to have been a fin attachment. Looks more like the board was nailed to a wall or post.

besides the lettering/symbology being written in the wrong direction: instead of being right side up when viewed from the tail, it's right side up when viewed from the nose.

As for a prize.. Nels, I owe you a Bass Ale ( 'cos Watneys is out of business ) next time you're out this way. Why should virtue be its only reward.

doc
Nels
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
As for a prize.. Nels, I owe you a Bass Ale ( 'cos Watneys is out of business ) next time you're out this way. Why should virtue be its only reward.

doc

Ah, Doc, virtue is a pretty good reward its own self, but a pint o Bass and some Spam keeps a body healthy...and we are, after all, athletes
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 12:26 pm    Post subject: Surf Nazis Reply with quote

I remember hearing stories about guys in La Jolla surfing in nazi uniforms. Supposedly someone's father owned a military surplus store. That whole surf nazi thing was a little before my time as a surfer, but in the early sixties I did visit a store in La Jolla that specialized in WWI and WWII german military stuff.

There was brief mention in that recent L.A. Times Chuck Hasley obituary about Gregg Noll making a surf film in the late fifties that had surfers in nazi uniform emerging from a storm drain at Windnsea. Storm drain troopers? Those guys were later drafted into the newly formed Windnsea Surf Club. Young groms of the era surely would have looked up to and aspired to become shock troop surf nazis. Might even cause some grom to paint swastikas on his paipo.
doc
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nels wrote:

Ah, Doc, virtue is a pretty good reward its own self, but a pint o Bass and some Spam keeps a body healthy...and we are, after all, athletes

That's an Imperial pint, of course. Makes hoisting 'em all that much more athletic.

Birdie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha!

My 1969 SC2000 Rover takes imperial pints AND gallons.

Veering right off topic!
doc
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Birdie wrote:
Ha!

My 1969 SC2000 Rover takes imperial pints AND gallons.

Veering right off topic!

If you're veering right in that, you're going into oncoming traffic......

http://www.caroftheyear1963.com/caroftheyear1963.com/links.shtml

me, I shoulda bought my sister's 300TD wagon......
Birdie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, that's it - but mine's red. Brigade Red.

At almost 3,000 lbs, I have to be sure to stay away from incoming traffic.

It's in the shop....

I've had TC's and now a SC for 20 years...

On my 4th one.

Might have to get the 3500 next...with the buick V8
doc
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://fly.hiwaay.net/~gbf/mbmodels.html

The 1974 Benz diesel: two metric tons of fun fully loaded, zero to sixty in less than a week with the mighty roar of 67 Teutonic horsepower..possibly produced by Black Forest elves in a bad mood. averages 30 MPG and about 1000 MPQO ( miles per quart oil - it's supposed to, it's a diesel after all )

Room for three or more boards...in the trunk, where you can also store a small family of immigrants at the same time, plus a medium sized cooler, a tent, complete tool kit and the complete Monty Python collection.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: