rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

El Paipo Alert!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> For Sale, Wanted or Trade
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Birdie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to know who 's company it was and so on. All I know is that they were made in Santa Monica - so - they were local, and I don't think they had anything to do with El Paipo, which was in Newport Beach. But who knows??

One's Newport Paipo in Santa Monica and the other El Paipo in Newport Beach.

There is no numbers or anything but the disco green N and company name and california on the back...

Anyway, it's a little more fancy than the others like it with a similiar deck, because of the tail and pin resin work.

It looks like a Fish Shoe.

Laughing
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 10:47 am    Post subject: Newports Reply with quote

I heard Newport was founded by Con Colburn. I don't know who started El Paipo, but they were shaped by household names. I was up at Doheney several years ago, and I seem to recall Velzy telling me he cranked out bellyboards for El Paipo at $3.00 a pop.
doc
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Birdie wrote:
I'd like to know who 's company it was and so on. All I know is that they were made in Santa Monica - so - they were local, and I don't think they had anything to do with El Paipo, which was in Newport Beach. But who knows??

One's Newport Paipo in Santa Monica and the other El Paipo in Newport Beach.

There is no numbers or anything but the disco green N and company name and california on the back...

Anyway, it's a little more fancy than the others like it with a similiar deck, because of the tail and pin resin work.

It looks like a Fish Shoe.

Laughing

Right, Newport Paipo - the Napoleonic N is what that's all about, nobody ever used that- except that they didn't have 'fish' then.

What was called a swallowtail was all the rage. Though the main thing the swallowtails were was a boon to the ding repair guy, as every time you set 'em down you'd crunch 'em up a bit. A nightmare fior the guy selling them, as every joker that came into the sho would pick 'em up and then thud 'em down.

Newport Paipo was one company and El Paipo was the other. Romanosky shaped for both of 'em, I think, at one time or another, along with a guy called Allen or Alan somethingorother ( Sarlo??) , if the ol' memory isn't playing tricks on me. NP stuck around longer than EP, though not by much. Morey relly killed them all off.
Birdie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tail is in excellent shape - nose had a repair, just the tip.

Con passed away I think in the late 90's. He would have been a great interview for TSJ. I'll do a search on him in Swaylocks.

Clyde Beatty used to do some pin resin work for him...and other things..

So, the swallowtail preceeded the fish?

This board has more in common with a fish than just about anything over 6'5" - and many things below a 6'5"

I have yet to see another one just like it.....

So, it's a wallhanger.

All it needs is a mirror ball to go with the rainbow pin resin work and that N.

Now, if I can just sort out how to post pictures and get the other bells and whistkes going....
doc
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uhmmmm...the swallowtail was a mainstream thing, single fin, often with funny steps in the outline shape by the tail. Utter misery to glass, those were. If you happen to have some foam, like upholsterer's foam or something, tape a little around the tail just to prevent those garage crunches.
see http://www.surfresearch.com.au/00000210.html for a strict-to-type swallowtail. So is http://www.surfresearch.com.au/00000040.html

The fish - well, -
http://www.swaylocks.com/resources/Detailed/519.htmlhttp://www.swaylocks.com/resources/Detailed/732.html show a few classic fish shapes. Your true fish is a twin-fin ( though quads seem to be an outgrowth) that's quite wide and a very wide tail.
Nels
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got lucky searching my archives, and since I've had a long day/wee/year and don't feel like doing a damn thing I'll share:

El Paipo was owned and operated by a guy named Bud Hulst. Newport Paipo was started by a guy named Skip Newell in early 1966 according to an article Newell himself wrote in a Feb 1970 issue of Surfing. Con Colburn actually built the Newport Paipo boards. I've read elsewhere that Velzy shaped bellyboards for Jack's, but haven't heard about El Paipo. El Paipo went to kneeboards pretty early. Riding one of their pintails in serious thumpage could eviscerate a dinosaur.

For the life of me I can't remember if the fish came before the swallowtail. I know I had a swallowtail long before I ever saw a proper fish outside the magazines. The brain is turning to mush...
doc
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nels wrote:
I got lucky searching my archives, and since I've had a long day/wee/year and don't feel like doing a damn thing I'll share:

El Paipo was owned and operated by a guy named Bud Hulst. Newport Paipo was started by a guy named Skip Newell in early 1966 according to an article Newell himself wrote in a Feb 1970 issue of Surfing. Con Colburn actually built the Newport Paipo boards. I've read elsewhere that Velzy shaped bellyboards for Jack's, but haven't heard about El Paipo. El Paipo went to kneeboards pretty early. Riding one of their pintails in serious thumpage could eviscerate a dinosaur.

For the life of me I can't remember if the fish came before the swallowtail. I know I had a swallowtail long before I ever saw a proper fish outside the magazines. The brain is turning to mush...

Ok, that makes sense. My senility is getting pretty strong, y'know? The Jack's bellyboards looked like Velzy 1960-and-nothing-later-even-in-1995 shapes. Wrote the man who had a load of Velzy surfboards appear in his shop in around '95 or so and took two years to unload 'em. .

I'd swear that the fishies were around about the same time but were kind of an underground thing.....
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 9:59 pm    Post subject: Date That Board... Reply with quote

Okay, let's play "Date That Board" with that El Paipo pintail currently on ebay. When do you think it was made? And why?
Nels
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When for that...I'd guess...shoot...the pintail could have been around 70-71 with Hawaiin influence, but the bottom of it looks like 67-68. Anybody else with point of reference? Somewhere I used to have an El Paipo brochure but the last time I saw it I was wearing grass slaps...

As for the why Rolling Eyes it probably seemed like a good idea at the time!

Back to swallowtail/fish, does it sound familar to anybody that the swallowtail came out of adapting the fish tail to more conventional standup surfboards?
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 12:24 am    Post subject: When and Why? Reply with quote

I should have said...when do you think the pintail El Paipo was made, and what is the basis for your guess? Not why was the board made.
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 1:05 am    Post subject: More Swallow Stuff Reply with quote

Dead link
Nels
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Grand Poobah, dredging these things from filed subconsciousness...probably helps you are from the area of genesis of modern split-tailed surfcraft. Dammit, I saw fish first at the 1972 World Contest - the whole Blears/Nuuhiwa last day thing, a full year before I saw a swallowtail up in my hinterlands. I should have a spare 5 minutes Wednesday and will try to sus out the time frame via old magazines and a developing circle of like-minded archivists.

That El Paipo looks like a dog to me. But obviously I should either be drinking more, or less...
doc
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 1:39 am    Post subject: Re: More Swallow Stuff Reply with quote

Poobah wrote:
I just found a kayak site with some History on fishes and swallows. It says Steve Lis was influenced by those very same La Jolla double pintails which were themselves influenced by Simmons:
http://testarea.boatertalk.com/forum/SurfZone/468737

Uhmm...I'm gonna question that to some extent. Just 'cos it's on a BBS like this one, doesn't mean it's correct in every detail.

Simmons tried just about everything, hell, he was the first, so he could. But I don't think that's the line the development took.

The modern swallowtail, a very narrow, drawn in, two pointed tail and by the way, single finned, as made in the early '70s, is very different than a Lis ( not Liss) fish. It might be an outgrowth of the Simmons shapes, but more likely it was one of those 'something new every year' fad the industry was pushing then, so the poor sap surfer had to get a new board every year to be hip, ya know?

Consider http://www.surfresearch.com.au/00000069.html , http://www.surfresearch.com.au/00000214.html , followed by http://www.surfresearch.com.au/00000163.html and http://www.surfresearch.com.au/00000208.html. Kind of a developmental path there, y'see.

Very different than the Lis fish, no? The lineage of that is more likely the wide tailed, almost parallel railed paipos such as http://www.surfresearch.com.au/00000194.html. The twin fin, wide shape with a couple of pintails instead of one wide tail - that seems more likely as the basis of the Fishies.

Oh, and the vintage of the El Paipo? I remember them in stores, just before I bought my G&S, little while before they tossed me out of school.

The thin board, egg-ish rails, nose outline shape and rudimentary rocker, yep, I'm with Nels, I'd say something like '70 or '71, not later and not earlier ( lexan fin in a rare and long orphaned box, not some glassed on Jacks-like horror) . as well as Shocked it probably seemed like a good idea at the time!
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:00 am    Post subject: 1969 Reply with quote

I'm going to guess a little earlier...1969. I think El Paipo tried to jump on the minigun bandwagon and crank out belly guns when the fad was going strong...1969 and 1970. I could be wrong, but that's my guess and what I base it on.
doc
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:45 am    Post subject: The summer of '69 Reply with quote

Funny you should mention that year.....

actually, a year or so later, featuring a young paipo guy just starting to kneeboard a bit. Boards are mebbe the second jump after the transition from V bottoms, belly in the nose and 50/50 rails transitioning to dwn and hard rails at the tail, mebbe the slightest bit of vee behind the fin, just before the gun era. More at http://fbates.home.comcast.net/summerof69.htm. My own little epiphany down on the bottom of Rod's http://www.rodndtube.com/paipo/MyPaipoBoards.html Still work there, though we moved locations a dozen years ago.

Now, it's occurred to me that we can talk about how old that El Paipo is 'til we're blue in the face, but how are we gonna know? I don't recall them being dated and signed and the El Paipo records re dserial numbers versus time produced has to have been in the dumpster for a couple of decades by now.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> For Sale, Wanted or Trade All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: